Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rascism is China's Shame

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lowlander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Rascism is China's Shame Reply with quote

White, brown, black, or yellow.....if you're not Chinese, then you're not a good felllow."

For my money, the above pretty much sums up the attitude of the vast majority of the Chinese population towards all non-Chinese folk....and creates an uneven playing field when it comes to finding a job.....depending on race/colour.

To make things worse, whilst most Western nations are teaching universal brotherly love to one and all, the Chinese government is pushing rampant (evil foreigner) nationalism to the max.

In my own personal experience, the Chinese people make a national sport of mocking all foreigners in the street, and overt rascism in every aspect of life is China's shame

It would appear that the Chinese don't see non-Chinese people as humans....laowai...gwailao...ghosts....devils....they will openly shout and scream in your face.....ghost....devil.....non-human.

It's getting high time that China recognized it's spectacular rascism, and started working to reverse the odious views held by so many of it's populace..

Wake up China, and quickly follow the West with regards to your race and age laws.

Jobs should be open to all colours, races, creeds, and ages, so long as they are properly qualified.

It's high time the whole world fell in step regarding employment rights and recognised qualifications.
tangal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few good quotes regarding shame:

Shame should be reserved for the things we choose to do, not the circumstances that life puts on us.
ANN PATCHETT, Truth and Beauty

The difference between guilt and shame is very clear�in theory. We feel guilty for what we do. We feel shame for what we are.
LEWIS B. SMEDES, Shame and Grace

The only shame is to have none.
BLAISE PASCAL, Pens�es
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rascism is China's Shame Reply with quote

the lowlander wrote:
White, brown, black, or yellow.....if you're not Chinese, then you're not a good felllow."

For my money, the above pretty much sums up the attitude of the vast majority of the Chinese population towards all non-Chinese folk....and creates an uneven playing field when it comes to finding a job.....depending on race/colour.

To make things worse, whilst most Western nations are teaching universal brotherly love to one and all, the Chinese government is pushing rampant (evil foreigner) nationalism to the max.

In my own personal experience, the Chinese people make a national sport of mocking all foreigners in the street, and overt rascism in every aspect of life is China's shame

It would appear that the Chinese don't see non-Chinese people as humans....laowai...gwailao...ghosts....devils....they will openly shout and scream in your face.....ghost....devil.....non-human.

It's getting high time that China recognized it's spectacular rascism, and started working to reverse the odious views held by so many of it's populace..

Wake up China, and quickly follow the West with regards to your race and age laws.

Jobs should be open to all colours, races, creeds, and ages, so long as they are properly qualified.

It's high time the whole world fell in step regarding employment rights and recognised qualifications.

So your opinion is that the entire world, alas, the entire universe should BOW to YOUR view of the world, your cultural beliefs, your values and morals, as as those of your homeland? Pretty egotistical isn't it? Feel free to live by the rules of your country in your country, but if you come to a new country it's high-time you follow and get in line with that culture.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points:
1. How come FTs so readily get Chinese GFs?
2. Projecting Western values on to non-Westerners is widespread.
Is the Arab Spring simply the changeover from civil dictatorships to religious?
Why are there so many blue on green killings in Afghanistan? After all we're only there to help the courageous Afghans progress towards democracy, clean water and apple pie.
It's even in the language. Obama referring to terrorists as 'folks who mean to harm America'.
Orwell is chortling with glee.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the Arab Spring simply the changeover from civil dictatorships to religious?

The Arab Spring (Arabic: الثورات العربية‎, al-Thawrāt al-ʻArabiyyah) is a revolutionary wave of demonstrations, protests, and wars occurring in the Arab world that began on 18 December 2010. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

The 1689 Boston revolt was a popular uprising on April 18, 1689, against the rule of Sir Edmund Andros, the governor of the Dominion of New England. A well-organized "mob" of provincial militia and citizens formed in the city and arrested dominion officials. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Revolt

The Glorious Revolution,[a] also called the Revolution of 1688, was the overthrow of King James II of England (James VII of Scotland and James II of Ireland) by a union of English Parliamentarians with the Dutch stadtholder William III of Orange-Nassau (William of Orange). - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution

Taejo of Joseon (October 11, 1335 � May 24, 1408; r. 1392�1398), born Yi Seong-gye, whose changed name is Yi Dan, was the founder and the first king of the Joseon Dynasty of Korea, and the main figure in overthrowing the Goryeo Dynasty

General Yi swept his army from the Yalu River straight into the capital, defeated forces loyal to the king (led by General Choe, whom he proceeded to eliminate) and forcibly dethroned King U in a de facto coup d'�tat but did not ascend to the throne right away. Instead, he placed on the throne King U's son, King Chang, and following a failed restoration of the former monarch, had both of them put to death. -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taejo_of_Joseon

Religion isn't the issue, paranoia about tyranny makes people become tyrannical. That's why we have to make laws to separate church and state, why we have to make amendments to carry guns and guarantee free speech. And, it's why the "people" feel empowered to remove those in power without "due process" and apply this non-due process to other countries.

That's why we have Arab Spring, it has nothing to do with religion. We the people simply don't know how to leave THEM the people on the other side of the mountain alone.

Now, back to the thread, I have been to several Asian countries. China is the least racist among them. When I have to do something it is a result of mistrust the Chinese have with their own people. It has nothing to do with me being a foreigner.

Quote:
the Chinese government is pushing rampant (evil foreigner) nationalism to the max

What evidence do you have of this? Most of the national pride I see is reactionary. Also, another point I want to make is that China is not a country in the sense we see US or England as a country.

We even have references of UK, UNITED KINGDOM. What does that mean? Why does it need to be used?

China is regional and it has a set of provinces, however you want to split it up. Saying China is just as useless as saying "The West" when the west is a hodge podge melting pot of people from everywhere, not just white Europeans.

So, when you practice your reactionary measures towards what you see as unjust, remember your actions could just be as bad as the events I quoted above.

I prefer to call out individuals rather than the race they come from.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That's why we have Arab Spring, it has nothing to do with religion"
Whaaaat?
The Syrian 'rebels' are publicly calling for a Shariah state.
BTW this maybe should be on the off topic forum.
mambawamba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowlander,

You get dissed on a job? You sound pretty angry about a specific experience.

Mamba
chinatimes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
The Syrian 'rebels' are publicly calling for a Shariah state.

Therefore, it is a religious movement? You sure don't dig deep do you?

Does the US support a change or do they want good old Assad Jr. to stay in power?

I didn't know US supported Sharia law. Time for one of us to rethink this.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lowlander

Id say it might be worth trying a new place. The experience you have certainly isnt mine. I never get called to or shouted at in the street, never get abuse or made to feel uncomfortable by Chinese people when out and about.

Generally, Id say the reverse is true ... and the racism that does exist for me as a white european is quite positive. I enjoy certain benefits as a white employee that Chinese employees wouldnt.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: