Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

private classes in Mexico City

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
walknkris



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
I am starting to give private lessons here in Mexico City and I would like to know what is a reasonable price to charge per hour. Also, do you offer discounts if your student goes more than once a week?
Thank you for your time, Kristen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MotherF



Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 1133
Location: 1748'N 9746'W

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think a reasonable rate depends on your resume. More meaningful experience should cost more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a highly experienced English teacher and charge $200 an hour. I don't give discounts if students come more than once a week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2031
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
I'm a highly experienced English teacher and charge $200 an hour. I don't give discounts if students come more than once a week.


$200 pesos an hour is about right. Less and you are selling yourself short. I know some teachers, even Mexican English teachers (who often have a much better network) and they charge $300 pesos, even more per hour, to tutor rich kids...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
I'm a highly experienced English teacher and charge $200 an hour. I don't give discounts if students come more than once a week.


$200 pesos an hour is about right. Less and you are selling yourself short. I know some teachers, even Mexican English teachers (who often have a much better network) and they charge $300 pesos, even more per hour, to tutor rich kids...


If I wanted to teach rich kids, which I don't, I would charge more than I do for my current crop of students, middle-class adults who are paying their own way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FreddyM



Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 178
Location: Mexico

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charge anywhere from $200 to $300 an hour, mostly to rich kids, no discounts. I think I'm undercharging, but it's an easy job (no preparation whatsoever) and I don't really have to travel much (10 minute walk at the most). Parents are happy and it's extra, easy money for me.

I know some people that charge $500 or more, mostly for just helping the kids do their homework. I may follow suit next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guy Courchesne



Joined: 10 Mar 2003
Posts: 9403
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

walknkris wrote:
Hello everybody!
I am starting to give private lessons here in Mexico City and I would like to know what is a reasonable price to charge per hour. Also, do you offer discounts if your student goes more than once a week?
Thank you for your time, Kristen


Minimum 200 I'd say. Are you traveling to see them or are they coming to you?

I would only offer a discount for something favorable to me, such as adding more hours per day, instead of more hours per week - reducing travel time or making any distances more worthwhile to get to.

Quote:
I know some people that charge $500 or more, mostly for just helping the kids do their homework. I may follow suit next year.


Good plan. Dix is in that range with students at her school, usually around end of semester.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
walknkris



Joined: 04 Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Location: Mexico City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful. I had been thinking of 200 per hour if I have to travel as I am experienced (although not highly) and less if it is close to my home. However, this seemed high for many people. I teach middle class adults, like Isla Guapa, and I know how much disparity there is in the salaries of middle class professionals in Mexico. Many people I know through my husband have been working many years in their field and they are just barely getting by... But of course, on the other hand, there are also all the people who go to Starbucks everyday or who eat out at restaurants and spend 200 pesos for lunch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Isla Guapa



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 1520
Location: Mexico City o sea La Gran Manzana Mexicana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

walknkris wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful. I had been thinking of 200 per hour if I have to travel as I am experienced (although not highly) and less if it is close to my home. However, this seemed high for many people. I teach middle class adults, like Isla Guapa, and I know how much disparity there is in the salaries of middle class professionals in Mexico. Many people I know through my husband have been working many years in their field and they are just barely getting by... But of course, on the other hand, there are also all the people who go to Starbucks everyday or who eat out at restaurants and spend 200 pesos for lunch.


I don't travel for classes anymore. If they want to study with me, they have to come to my place. But since I don't depend totally on my teaching income to pay the bills, I can afford to do this. For the kind of students I have, $200 an hour seems to be the most that they are willing (and able) to pay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Prof.Gringo



Joined: 07 Nov 2006
Posts: 2031
Location: Dang Cong San Viet Nam Quang Vinh Muon Nam!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: private classes in Mexico City Reply with quote

walknkris wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. They were very helpful. I had been thinking of 200 per hour if I have to travel as I am experienced (although not highly) and less if it is close to my home. However, this seemed high for many people. I teach middle class adults, like Isla Guapa, and I know how much disparity there is in the salaries of middle class professionals in Mexico. Many people I know through my husband have been working many years in their field and they are just barely getting by... But of course, on the other hand, there are also all the people who go to Starbucks everyday or who eat out at restaurants and spend 200 pesos for lunch.


You have to value yourself as a teacher. I remember well, a friend of mine took a full-time gig at a colegio, so he offered me some private Ss, if it worked out mutually between the Ss and myself.

One guy was a youngish (early 30's) Mexican lawyer with a brand new BMW. He wanted to meet where it was easy for him, which was an hour travel time for me. He spoke of his just finished 2 week vacation to Switzerland with his novia... And then we talked about my fee. My friend had been charging what came out to about $170 an hour... This lawyer, said he wanted to pay me LESS... I told him, flat-out, I'll charge you $250 an hour, because of travel time, take it or leave it.

You have to play "hard-ball" with these people. Yes, they will drop 300 pesos for lunch and balk at paying $200 an hour for a real professional EFL class. I point out the cost of an EFL course at a lingo school, with an unprofessional teacher in a class of 20 Ss... I can custom tailor the course for each and every private Ss. Let them choose the book (from several that I suggest) and pay for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC