Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canada Visa Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sliim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect Scot, your statement is a distortion of my request for clarification from the Saudi Embassy. It is not out of line to request specifics on vaguely worded clauses in an agreement, and for my part, I made the request for clarification in politely worded terms, unlike what you are attempting to portray. However, given your discourteous reaction (I would have booted him out too ! With his head still attached to his torso), it shows that you do not have the tact to respond with the maturity one would expect from a professional.

That said, I think it is useful for Canadian teachers to be made aware of that clause in the visa application, should it still be written as such. Note, however, that I am not telling people not to work in Saudi, but to be aware of the seriousness of signing the documentation. Perhaps if enough people are aware of the problems in the visa application, the Saudi government might use its better judgement and rewrite the document in order to avoid ambiguities about serious matters. I maintain that I would never sign such a document for a visa to any country, and therefore I would not go. There is no shame in having self-respect.

Regarding Mr. Sampson, I was aware that he renounced his Canadian citizenship after being freed, as the Canadian government left him stranded because they did not want to sour relations with the Saudi government. And he died due to a heart condition that was likely caused by the repeated beatings and rape that he endured while in prison. His case leaves me to wonder how anyone can treat this topic with insensitivity.

From my own personal experience, I had a nutter in Yemen bribe the police to arrest me on false charges. In my case the person was only trying to shame me publicly and destroy my reputation, which, thankfully, backfired. However, the thought always lingered with me that, had this person been in a position of authority, and had his motives been more nefarious, my situation could have had a very different outcome.

I have no problems with abiding by the laws of the countries in which I reside, but there always remains the question of what recourse is available to me if I am wrongfully accused. I cannot sign my life away without having a guarantee that I am entitled to a proper legal defense. So, for me to work in Saudi, clarification in the documents and a right to legal recourse are absolutely necessary.

You may respond with whatever adolescent belligerence you wish, but people who intend to work in Saudi should be aware of the details of the agreements they sign in order to be prepared in the event that things go wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: