Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which city do you live in in Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waggo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er Boogie...if you live in Busan like you claim.perhaps you have heard of Busan airport?

Its not very big ,but it pretty much can get you anywhere in the world.So dont talk rubbish.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waggo wrote:
Er Boogie...if you live in Busan like you claim.perhaps you have heard of Busan airport?

Its not very big ,but it pretty much can get you anywhere in the world.So dont talk rubbish.

Yes, but how expensive is it compared to Seoul?
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in incheon.

Pros: I have everything I want in walking distance. The airport isn't too far away if I need to do a midnight run.

Cons: Pollution, the distance, more pollution.

CLG
rosewood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: my town Reply with quote

Wonju. 250,000 people. Big enough, small enough. No noise (can't stand noise). No English books. 2 hours from Seoul.
anthonyg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hwajeong, just before Ilsan on line 3.

I was going to do the pro/con thing, but I can't really think of any cons about this place. It's a decent sized suburb (50K), there's a Wal-Mart for shopping (hey, Mac-n-Cheese on the shelf), good restaurants, good group of teachers, rockin' foreigners' bar (www.adventurekorea.com) that also organizes trips all over Korea, 25 minutes (by bus) to Hongdae, 45 minutes (by subway) to Anguk station (which means Insa-dong, Kyobo book store, etc.), and 15 minutes (again, subway) to Ilsan for TGIF, Outback, & loads of other good restaurants & movies.

Considering I came to Korea with no info on where I would be, I know I really lucked out. I'm spoiled by this place!!!
eamo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundang-gu, Seongnam city.

"The Beverly Hills of Seoul"
"The fourth most popular -gu in Korea"
"Suburban wasteland"
"Milddle-class mediocrity"

All these things and more have been said about Bundang. I like it cuz it's clean and generally quiet, yet close enough to Seoul to make a night out in Hongdae do-able. It didn't really exist before 1990 so it's one of those totally planned cities.

Many a 'traveller type' will have nothing but disdain for a place so new and 'soul-less', but I'm not a traveller type. I'm a guy living and working so Bundang serves my needs.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: my town Reply with quote

rosewood wrote:
Wonju. 250,000 people. Big enough, small enough. No noise (can't stand noise). No English books. 2 hours from Seoul.

Suggestion for next trip to seoul: take the bus that goes to the Dong Seoul subway station. Every time I did that, never had to deal with traffic. Every time I went to the express bus terminal in seoul, always had to put up with traffic. If things work out perfectly, you can reach Dong Seoul in a little over an hour.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I liked Wonju but Bucheon has spoiled me. So easy to get western food and go to a good movie theater. But wonju is certainly a good spot to "immerse" yourself in Korea.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incheon, Gyeyang-gu. On the north end of the Incheon subway.

I've called it the New Jersey of Korea. It is at least as polluted as Seoul and has some areas that are just intolerable (near Galsan area).

I'm starting to really like my corner of things, though. I'm right next to a subway station and an express bus terminal, so I can get to Shinchon, Gangnam, or downtown Seoul in less than in hour if I want to.

In my neighborhood I have a GrandMart, a Carrefour, and a Walmart, so I can find most of my Western products locally. We have two Vietnamese restaurants nearby. I can find almost everything I need short of English books and a few ultra-exotic items which I can always get in Seoul. I've also met a nice bunch of down-to-earth expats in the area. The neighborhood nightlife is nothing to write home about, but there's an expat bar a 15 minute subway ride away and I can always go to Seoul.

There's a small group of mountains to hike with nice scenery, woods, graves, and a small Buddhist temple. Nothing to spectacular, the highest one is only 292 meters high, but it sure is convenient. Also, 20 minutes away by bicycle there's a series of farms including an ostrich farm and a horse-riding school. Even better, I'm a little less than an hour from the Yeonan Ferry Terminal, where you can catch ferries to the Yellow Sea islands. Nice beaches (if not quite up to par with say, Thailand), great seafood, and mountain hikes. I've been out there 7 or 8 times this summer. Technically, it's all still part of Incheon, too.

For me, the biggest downside is that I cannot find any Korean classes in Incheon, and it just isn't practical for me to commute to Seoul daily for the weekday courses that are available there. I do the 1000 won Saturday courses in Seoul, and they're great, but I'd rather be doing that on a weekday than on a Saturday. Oh well, you can't have everything.

All in all, a nice little corner of Korea. More than enough modern conveniences and accessible to Seoul, but it's also accessible to some interesting natural and rural phenomena. Give me Korean classes and clear up the smog and I might never leave.
gi66y

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ilsan, which is in Goyang-si, Kyunggi-do; north-west of Seoul at the end of subway line 3.

Pros:
- Lake park - one of the biggest man made lakes in Korea (I'm told)
- It's not crowded - I want to scream in Seoul sometimes after the first half dozen Koreans bounce off me.
- Being on the subway
- Wal-mart, Grande, Lotte(with 6 theatres), Carre-four, E-mart, TGIFridays, Outback Steak House, McDonalds all within 5-15 minutes on foot of where I live (between Ju-yeop and Jung-bal-san stations)
- several direct buses to Yonsei University if you study Korean (I do)
- cheap food, gyms, lots of watering holes
- 40 minutes from Seoul (Sinchon/Hongdae)
- A direct bus to Incheon passes in front of my apt. every 30 minutes (in case I needed to get out quickly)
- Lots of other English teachers (the "good-ones")
- No GI bases nearby - hence no GIs
- Foreigner travel club nearby

Cons:
- Lake park on a weekend
- Lots of other English teachers (the "not-so-good ones")
- Proximity to "The North" - not so much because I care but I hear it from my mother, "That North Korean guy, (Kim-Jong-Il) says he's going to turn the peninsula into a fire ball....why don't you move further south?"
- not as many nice looking women (if you're into that kind of thing)

Conclusion: Good food, people, shopping and close enough to enjoy the good things in Seoul, but far enough away to avoid the crowds and dirty air.

Hmm...maybe I do like living here after all. Very Happy
Although after spending over 19 months here I wouldn't mind a scenery change...any suggestions? Confused
Southafrican

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Chungju. A small city only 90minutes bus ride from Seoul. We are only about 40 foreigners in Chungju, but we try do go out and do a lot of nice stuff!

Not a bad place, but a small town attitude for sure!
Beeg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Kyongju Reply with quote

Pros of Kyongju,
1.) Good selection of international restuarants
2.) All the temples
3.) The presence of western tourist mean that the locals don;t stare at you much
4.) This place has an insane number of bars.

Cons about Kyongju.
1.) Very small ex-pat coummunity
2.) population of only 300,000 means there ain't much to do when you don;t want to go to a temple.
3.) The locals are traditional and dating a Korean woman is a complete no-no.

John
peemil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulsan... Why not? Close to everything. Good to get around. Bit smelly sometimes but what city in the world isn't?
justaskdan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Pohang!
just because

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changwon.
Pros: Very clean for a Korean city
Con: Can be boring and a little quiet sometimes(but I like that)
harryh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Geoje-do.
It's very quiet. There aren't many foreign teachers here either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: