Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEAVING THE COUNTRY WHEN 'PAID' - ADVICE PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: LEAVING THE COUNTRY WHEN 'PAID' - ADVICE PLEASE Reply with quote

if i leave a job when ive worked the hours and just been paid (maybe airfare too)......
whats the likelihood of the company (ecc) chasing me?
nothing i hear or i hope?!

basically i'm in an awkward situation with some of my colleagues who i dont get on with at all etc. BUT THE PROBLEM IS......my passport is in the IMMIGRATION office for my 'alien card' to be processed and i hope to get it back ASAP.

I spose u just run ie. 'midnight run' to incheon airport and they should let me through?

will i be blacklisted for work if i do so or are the schools lazy?

I am thinking of going to thailand or japan but it differs there money/ accom. wise eh.

Cheers anyone and all
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you will shaft your co-workers and employers in Japan and or Thailand too by also running then?

How about just resigning and giving notice to your employer?
But wait that would require a conscience....
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there are some very serious problems (eg. the school isn't paying you) I don't see any real justification for doing a midnight run.

Why don't you let your employer know that things aren't working out for you and explain why. Give at least some notice. Leaving in the middle of the night is pretty dodgy. Integrity is important even if your coworkers and/or employers don't display that quality themselves.

I don't know your particular circumstances, but an awful lot of people do the midnight run for purely selfish reasons.

The decision is yours, but I hope you'll think twice before running away.

PS. I can only assume that you cannot leave the country without a passport. You'll have to wait to get that back at the very least.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the director's been shafting you (as is often the case) and you've spelt out your grievances, given him time to shape up, I'd have no qualms about running.
However if you've not put in effort, not tried to get on with your co-workers, you're at fault, and by running , you're making koreans that much more suspicious and distrustful of the rest of us.
If you just want to leave for other reasons, explain why, give at least some notice, and perhaps try help them find a new teacher over the internet, it's the least you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: