Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone ever had to pay a duty/tax at the airport?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Has anyone ever had to pay a duty/tax at the airport? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever had to pay a duty/tax at the Incheon airport upon arrival?

The Hammer Laughing
thinker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: YES~ Reply with quote

Confused i think it was 5000 upon arrival to go to busan, then 8000? when leaving the country> > >
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Airport tax for *departure* Reply with quote

Until I came in September I had always had to pay a tax in Incheon airport upon departure, but never arrival. You had to buy a little ticket from the office where they do money exchange. It was 15,000 won a person for foreigners leaving Korea. I think it cost even more for Koreans. (At Kimpo--when it was international--it used to be 9,000 won I believe). I think it must have caused a lot of problems and confusion for people because many are used to paying the tax along with the price of the ticket in other countries. One time one of my friends saw a young mother with her baby who was unable toboard her plane home, having spent all her Korean money and with nothing to pay for that tax.

Anyway, when I left Korean in December ('02) and then again in February ('03) I didn't have to pay that tax. I even asked about it. They seem to be including it in the price of tickets now.
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I am coming back to Korea with a lot of consumer goods. Has anyone ever had to pay a duty/tax on consumer goods?

The Hammer Laughing
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Yes but it's rare. They made me pay for bringing in about 140 videos from Australia but I had that much stuff with me that it was a joke. I paid about $900 U.S. just for excess baguage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: