Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how cheap is china

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven g

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: how cheap is china Reply with quote

i'm off to china next week on one of those four day all-inclusive deals. i just wondered about how much money i should be taking for spends, considering i won't have to pay for any food or transportation - i was thinking of between 180,000-200,000 won as i'm not big on tacky souvenirs and bought a load when i went to hong kong for summer vacation. also, should i change my cash into chinese currency or would dollars be better. cheers for any advice, steve Wink
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can go to dave's china discussion board and post, and/or read the board inc. going back thread. or do the same at lonelyplanet.com click on 'thorntree', the world travel/working discussion forum.
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my sources, Beijing is the fifth-most expensive city in the world. Some people, however, swear that Shanghai is more expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CanKorea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, go to side streets and underground shopping malls, they'll be cheaper and you can bargain there, you can't in department stores.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in China? I've been to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Kunming, Chengdu, Leshan, Dali, Tianjin, and Lijiang.

It depends alot on where you are going, but since you mentioned 'tour package all inclusive' or something like that, I'm betting you took the Beijing one with a trip out to the Great Wall of China.

If everything is paid for, then I'm guessing you should easily be fine with 200,000 won for four days. I can't imagine going over that. Particularly if hotel and your touristic entrace/admittance things are covered by this package.

Generally, I was able to get by in Beijing at the rock bottom cheapest hostel, and I believe it was around equivalent to 15,000 won a night. Beer and food was fairly cheap, but there is alot of 'cultural' things to do which add up somewhat quickly.

Shanghai felt alot more expensive although its more of an experience because of the lively energy, where Beijing had more of a museum feel to me. Shanghai makes you want to get out and party your ass off which adds up $$. Its not the best 'touristic' city which actually appeals to me more, its a fun and energetic place.

The all-time cheapest however is Yunnan provence with some really cool towns like Lijiang and Dali, where you can get dorm bed for about $2/night. Beer was a little less than a $1. But I have a feeling you aren't going there however.

In general, most things there are cheaper than Korea, particularly beer in a bar. But Beijing & Shanghai aren't too far behind price-wise. So just think of what you'd bring to Seoul on a 4-day bender, and thats pretty much what you'd need for your trip..
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Just HOW cheap you ask ??? That's easy. So much so the state makes YOU pay for the bullets they use to execute you with.

Tibet & Tianamen Square aside, it's really too bad i ain't planning on visiting their fair & noble shores any time soon.

Enjoy your trip Shocked
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with this moral crusade when it comes to Tibet? If it weren't for China, Tibet would be totally screwed! Give it up, ya beatniks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Quite the contrary Buddy. If it wasn't for the pillaging of the "Western Treasure House" aka TIBET, China would likely have been a LOT worse off. If only from the standpoint of geo-politics & wealth of untapped resouces, Beijing's 1949/50 invasion was in fact highly strategick.

Wasn't there in fact some other minor military campaign occuring around this same time elsewhere in Asia ??? Oh yes, that's right ... SOUTH KOREA. Hmmmmmmm ... Idea

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/09/10/dalai.lama.us/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: