Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: University Jobs Reply with quote

How hard are they to get if you are not in Korea. I've got my B'Ed (Canadian) and 2 years experience. How difficult would it be? Would it be a good idea to tell a recruiter or do you Universities never use them.

I've been getting some offers for 2.3 Million for the language institutes.

Also, do some schools call themselves "International Schools" but aren't really an international school, just a language institiute?

Thanks
yoda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: University Jobs Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been getting some offers for 2.3 Million for the language institutes.

There is a good chance you can't get that from a university. Most universities pay about 2.0 mill or less. But you will get great vacations from some universities -between 3 and 5 months a year. And the hours are GREAT!

Quote:
How hard are they to get if you are not in Korea.

Hard. Universities are in demand. They don't want to deal with out-of-country maybes. And you should be in country between November and early February to get the good jobs. Universities do very little hiring at any other time. (From June to August a few creep up to replace the ones who got fired or quit in the first semester of the year).
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda is right on this one - 1.8 to just under 2 is the norm - even w/ certif or a Masters.

As for the 'International Schools,' yes, there ARE a few 'true' International Schools. (I worked for 1 this past contract year) But very few accredited ones!!!

The trend now is to use that name to sound more prestegious. If in doubt, ask a teacher already there (foreign teacher), or who they are accredited by/with.

One good thing: the ISes are moving to American/foreign-only teaching materials - if you are a certified teacher, using this stuff is a snap, as opposed to Korean in-house mats.

G.
lighthouse1971

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: University Jobs Reply with quote

yoda wrote:
Hard. Universities are in demand. They don't want to deal with out-of-country maybes. And you should be in country between November and early February to get the good jobs. Universities do very little hiring at any other time. (From June to August a few creep up to replace the ones who got fired or quit in the first semester of the year).

I did a poll on this topic a month ago. About 30% of people who already have uni jobs got them while out of the country (through Dave's). A similar number got them while in Korea (through Dave's). The rest got them through connections while in Korea or by knocking on doors. Granted, these polls are hardly scientific...but it was interesting none the less
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3 is good money for an institute. If the hours are resonable, and the director has his/her head on the ground, that could be real good. That said, University jobs don't pay the greatest but the hours much less and with more vacation time. Evaluate your needs and wants and go from there.
kumuka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: University Jobs Reply with quote

Yes, the Uni jobs are in demand. I make about 2.2 m won, 17 hours, and get 16 weeks paid vacation. Its a sweet gig.
My previous hogwan job was 2.4 m won, 2 weeks vacation and 25 hours a week.
atina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3 is good depending on the # of hours you work.

I work uni: 12 hours/wk for 2.2 plus rent money.

In a Uni lng institute that I used to work at, I worked 20 hours for 1.8 plus rent $.

Both had pension deductions.

Hope the info helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: