Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Go shi wons"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: "Go shi wons"? Reply with quote

What is a "go shi won" or "go shi tel"? Is it a cheap place stay? Ever stay at one? Or is it better to stick with the yogwan at 30,000 a night (40,000 on weekends)?
jaderedux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goshiwon is a study room. Usually has bed small closet and is rented to students or people studying for exams. It is sort of like a dorm. (very seldom private bath) Again, think college dorm.

I don't know of any that rent by the day. There is room for 1 person. Let me know if you are interested in this sort of thing. I know someone who owns a pretty nice one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I ever stayed at was 10,000 a night, rented to me by the night, and was clean and quiet with a tiny room. Much better than a yeogwan, with the exception of the shared bathrooms. Good sleep, crappy shower.

However, some ask for student ID before they will rent to you. Definitely worth staying at if you can.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teachers put their stuff in goshiwons for 100,000 won a month while they go to thailand on vacation, then come back for another contract.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain kirk wrote:
teachers put their stuff in goshiwons for 100,000 won a month while they go to thailand on vacation, then come back for another contract.

WOW, you can do that? Great solution!! I hadn't thought of that before.

Generally, for the questioner, 'koshiwans' are dormitories for students without meals.. while 'hasooks' are the same but with two meals a day.

I lived in a 'hasook' for 6 months. Same as 'koshiwan' but meals, but the situation is the same. Usually you'll kind of be sharing the bathroom.. and your privacy isn't necessary guaranteed. People can't get into your room.. but the walls are fairly thin and you have to keep the noise down at all times..

I've never paid day-by-day.. as far as I knew, they were month-to-month, and generally they like you to be there for several months minimum.. at least thats what I was always led to believe before I heard of others getting them for the night?
ratslash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

live in a goshiwon now.

it is ok. quiet and clean. lots of students and some older people who must be living cheap and saving money to buy a proper apartment. 350,000 a month with shared toilet, my own shower, right near sinchon.
justagirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more info on these would be great. I'm looking to take a class on Fridays and Saturdays for a semester (this next winter). I'd prefer to stay in Seoul overnight, rather than travel 90 minutes south on Friday nights, then turn around the next morning to head back to Seoul. I would love to find a clean, decent place for less than 25,000/night.

Would it be possible to rent a room like this every Friday for 4 months? Where can I find these kind of rooms. I have student I.D. from the U.S. Would that work?

justagirl

Son duereo--I'd love details...where in Seoul, etc. Very Happy
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratslash.... Care to say the name if there's one or exactly where it is? I'm at a yogwan near Shinchon station, getting a bit expensive. Can you rent by the week or day?
Len8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also the yoinsuks which are only W10,000 per night. You share the toilet and the shower. If you look hard enough though you can find them near Saunas. I use them a lot if I'm stuck in a city, and can't get out until the morning. I've often seen some of the rooms filled with peoples belongings as well, so I guess you can work out some kind of arrangement with the Adjumas. They also have a TV, bedding and a fan.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of nice goshiwon 5 minutes from Noriyanjin Station. Clean, air con single bedding. There are a couple of room sizes. P.M. me if you want any info. I actually stayed there so I know it is nice.

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
Any more info on these would be great. I'm looking to take a class on Fridays and Saturdays for a semester (this next winter). I'd prefer to stay in Seoul overnight, rather than travel 90 minutes south on Friday nights, then turn around the next morning to head back to Seoul. I would love to find a clean, decent place for less than 25,000/night.

Would it be possible to rent a room like this every Friday for 4 months? Where can I find these kind of rooms. I have student I.D. from the U.S. Would that work?

justagirl

Son duereo--I'd love details...where in Seoul, etc. Very Happy

No problem, I posted directions before here: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=8378&highlight=itaewon+dream+goshiwon

Or I can just quote myself:

Son Deureo! wrote:
If you want to stay in Itaewon for dirt cheap, don't think yeogwan, think goshiwon. There's a place called Dream Goshiwon (�帲 ���ÿ�). The sign is only in Korean. It's near the main intersection that has Gecko's and Burger King, and it's above the Bald Eagle. It's quiet, the rooms are tiny but clean, and it's 10,000 won per night.

You will not have a private bathroom.
syclick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a studio appt above a koshiwon. I believe the rate here is 270,000 per mo.

Located in Hyewha, five minutes walk from the subway station.
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

If anyone cares to help direct me to a good one, please do so, I would appreciate it very much. I have stayed in a yagwon(motel) for two weeks, and although it ain't entirely bad, I just can't afford it no more at 30 or more a nite. Just thought I would have a new job sooner than this, but with Chusok I got stalled. Actually tomorrow I think I'll just check it out myself. Just don't know the deal with this type of accommodation.... which are OK or not?

Thanks anyway.
mithridates

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a pretty good one called MAX Livingtel. It's on the 4th and 5th floor of a building right across the street from Yonsei university...Let's see if I can explain where it is (you might be able to visualize this if you know Shinchon well). Let's see, first of all it's across that big road right in front of Yonsei U. You go up the hill a bit. On your right will be the big road, and on your left will be a train track. You're going parallel to the train track. Then you go up the hill a bit more and the big road starts curving to the right. On your left now you can see a small underpass underneath the train tracks that leads off into all the bars. Keep going up and on your left you'll see a building with those words MAX Livingtel on the left. If you get to the post office you've gone too far, turn around.
It's a nice enough place, 300 000 a month with free rice and sometimes other food when they cook, laundry is free and it can be dried on the roof, quite clean and they let people use the internet from time to time. Not bad...
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mithridates Laughing . I just checked in there today for a week for a mere 70,000 won. Besides a small room (who cares anyway?) and perhaps not much to watch on TV, it is a great deal. I spent over 600,000 in less than 3 weeks at a motel, so this feels a lot better. Perhaps there should be a "sticky" post for cheap accommodations. I'd give this one a post. It helps to know a little Korean, too. Strange that I have stayed at motels many times in about 4 years in Korea and only just recently even learned what these places were. People, if you want a cheap spot when you got nowhere else to stay, give this kind of place a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: