Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should a first timer bring to SK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mack the knife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishmaster,

i've seen slim-jims at namdaemun import market. they were the real deal. saw them right as you enter the underground market.
princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring very thick skin. Where I work you are thought of as weak and stupid if you show your emotions,i.e. crying,etc. Also bring a heart of stone for all those times someone in Korea will break your heart.
Shinnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Cheese, sheet set, spices, Herbal/Nutritional, zycam Reply with quote

Decent cheddar and sometimes havariti can be found in larger cities, but if you are going to be in a rural area stock up, or if you like any other cheese bring it. Never mind the "must be refridgerated" warning if you are going to be in transport for just a few days, cheese was developed as a way to preserve milk with out refrigeration.
Spices can be found in Seoul, but they are pricey and usually stale. Sheet sets as well are pricey.
If you take anything slightly less mainstream than vitamin/mineral supplements, bring your own till you discover the wonders on Chineese herbs.
Every one I know gets fierce colds the first year they are here. Bring some zycam or other Zinc product to ward off the torture.
Shinnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Ladies, The diva cup instead of Tampons Reply with quote

The diva cup is like going from a CD player to an MP3. http://www.divacup.com/
There are lots of reasons to use this and the testimonials are on the web site, but here are my reasons:
1. I DON"T get the cramps and aches I did with tampons. Laughing
2. I don't have to make room for the bulky stuff in my pack when I travel
3. I don't have pollute and worry about cambodia kids finding it as they rummage through the trash.
4. I don't have to remember to buy the stuff.

Yes, $45 is pricey, but I've used the same cup now for 3 years and I have no reason to believe I can't use it another 5. The only thing I can complain about is that if there is not a place to wash your hands, is can be a inconvienent, so I do carry a pack of baby wipes when I'm traveling. Idea
Other wise it is a great product. http://www.divacup.com/
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ladies, The diva cup instead of Tampons Reply with quote

Shinnam wrote:
The diva cup is like going from a CD player to an MP3.

Amen, sister! I use Instead. It's supposed to be disposable, but everyone agrees you can re-use it. I use one a month, and it has all the advantages you mentioned.
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
This should belong on the pet peeve thread but it might be apt here as well. Pants (trousers where I come from) are not sold in various leg-lengths. Only super-long. Perfect for all those 6' 5". One is supposed to buy super-long, then, go to a sewing-person/tailor and have them cut and hemmed to order. It's a pain and it doesn't work well because the pants lose their shape and look terrible when worn.

So.... The point is, I recommend any one coming to bring a lot of pants and don't bother with a lot of shoes, coats, sweaters and shirts/t-shirts which are nice 'n cheap here.

So are these pants really sized for someone 6'5"? Suhweet!

I just happen to be that height.
Are they hemmed at that length?
wings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Diva! Reply with quote

I think that the DIVA cup is a must have for all women travelling or not! A lot of canadian universities sell them with a subsidy (go to the womens centre and ask) I got mine for only 22 dolars Canadian. At that price I figure in the year since I got it I have saved quite a bit of money, not to mention the health and environmental aspects. would recommend it to anyone!
newintown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand the environmental, practical & financial benefits to these devices, but i just could not bring myself to use one. the prospect horrifies me.
Sincinnatislink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dated a woman who used a Keeper for awhile.

I love the "pop" when it goes back into place.
Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoes- I can't believe that I can't find shoes to fit my size 5 1/2 - 6 feet (UK size) here, unless I do a lot of searching in Itaewon.

Underwear- generally bras here are small and padded. Personally I've never been crazy about buying padded bras, since if they don't fit right they're very obvious.

Good coffee and chocolate to keep you going until you can find where to buy such things here.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.galbijim.com/What_to_Bring%3F
crusher_of_heads

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

princess wrote:
Bring very thick skin. Where I work you are thought of as weak and stupid if you show your emotions,i.e. crying,etc. Also bring a heart of stone for all those times someone in Korea will break your heart.

I will never break your heart
wings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get almost anything here, but some things are harder to find or much more expensive than at home, if there are things you really want to have from day 1 then bring them.

I'm really glad I brought:
-a pillow (both for the flight and to use here, they have them, but there wasn't one in my apartment when I arrived, and some of the pillows seem really hard)
-bodem coffee press (they have them here actually but I needed coffe in the morning from day 1)
-coffee (they have it here but it is much more expensive than at home, maybe not so much at Costco)
-sticky tack
-vitamins
-balsamic vinegar (haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it's here somewhere)
-my giant bath towel

I wish I'd brought:
-sheets (I meant to but I forgot)
-more coffee (at least enough to get me through to pay day)
-hair elastics (ones here are really girly)
-more underwear (the selection here is really scary)

I shouldn't have bothered bringing:
-socks (they are everywhere, could have used the space for more coffee)
-a years supply of my body shop favorites (they have it here only a tiny bit more expensive than at home)
-high heals for work (I have to wear slippers in my school)
-my hair dryer (you can buy one here cheap, and using a converter on the one from home just isn't that good)
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
wishmaster,

i've seen slim-jims at namdaemun import market. they were the real deal. saw them right as you enter the underground market.

Making my own beef sausage right now.
Adahma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Cheese Reply with quote

Well I'm glad to know cheese and coffee will need to be brought ... anybody have someone at home send them care packages?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: