Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam for Tet? - Help Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingpin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Vietnam for Tet? - Help Needed Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info/knowledge inre: visitng Vietnam - specifically Hanoi - during Tet. I'd like info on visas, travel expenses (is there much difference b/c of the holiday?), etc. Thanks in advance.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Vietnam during tet two years ago. The traffic on the roads was just incredible......and the driving was crazy. Might want to avoid travel on the highways. I found train travel to be convenient and relatively comfortable. Things get booked up during tet though so try to book something ahead of time if you plan to travel within the country.

Although I was warned many times that I should try to book a hotel before I went I had no problem at all finding places to stay.

It is cheap to travel in Vietnam even though foreigners are forced to pay inflated prices (relative to what locals pay). I don't think you'll find your travel expenses any greater during the holiday unless you are staying in expensive international hotels.

You'll need a visa. You travel agent should be able to arrange it. It takes about a week to be processed if I remember correctly.

I found that alot of people were constantly trying to rip me off. Be careful with your money and don't be scared to be assertive with someone when they are trying to rip you off. Make sure the meter is turned on in the taxi before you take off, etc. ....that sort of thing...
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Nha Trang a few years ago for Tet.
I think to a large degree the Lonely Planet overrates just how bad it will be. They virtually say prepare as if a typhoon is coming and you'll be stuck indoors for a week. I really didn't notice much of a difference. I found it hard to rent a motorcycle. Something to do with the owners wanting to bless their possessions over Tet. Accomodation was easy to find and the prices (at least in the backpackers places) didn't change. Mama Han's boat trip was cancelled for a week so all of the stoners were wandering around having to buy pot from the shady cats on the beach but for the most part everything else was business as usual.
The Vietnamese are shrewd characters. I think there's always going to be someone there willing to provide a service holiday or no holiday if they can make $ out of it.
Hanoi's a really nice city. Very, very photogenic - especially at the time you'll be there with the rain and the mist. Don't forget to check out Uncle Ho. The North Vietnamese soldiers actually salute you when you go in there. I went with a bunch of American guys so it was even weirder for them to be saluted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: