Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"I am English teacher"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's really funny to hear westerners who don't speak a lick of korean critisize semi-bilingual korean teachers for being less apt to teach english to young learners...

Learning a foreign language for young learners is most effectively done by BILINGUAL teachers....Most of the western hogwan teachers in korea are FAR from being bilingual....many of us us are less qualified than the korean english teachers we teach with.....
Squid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fonz is getting there, up the ajummas for giving it a go I say!

If some of the more "Professional" elements on this board don't see the grassroots of their own industry when it's staring them in the face I feel genuine pity for their students.

Squid, as outraged as a squid gets.
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
it's really funny to hear westerners who don't speak a lick of korean critisize semi-bilingual korean teachers for being less apt to teach english to young learners...

I agree. I don't fit that category, as I speak considerably more than a lick of Korean, and I've only been speaking it for two years. I daresay the ajumas who teach English had/have been studying it for quite a lot longer than that. So what's their excuse?
GRK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: I am an English reacher Reply with quote

Have to agree with Kiwi on this. These kids fossilize at an unbelievably early age. The accent issue is neither here nor there, they will never sound like a North American anyway (unless they study overseas). To change fossilized language is a huge undertaking, both for the teacher and student. What these students may eventually produce is Konglish.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask the English teachers.
Is there a standard?
Is there one book that you all agree upon?
Is there some way to standardize the teaching of the English language to foreingers?
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard and tiny,

The anwers is : not yet.

Also, remember hagwons are private businesses. This gives then lots of latitude as to curriculum. The lack of regulation is a problem of course.
However, this does not mean ESL teachers are not "real teachers".
There is more to teaching than a common book that all have agreed upon.

Back home for example, private schools routinely use their own material. thay have to use government approved books for basic curriculum but often use their own materials on top of this and even sometimes instead of it.

As for standardization it has not happened in Korea. Again this might be due to the private nature of the hagwon industry.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the Korean education system uses a standard method in their middle schools?
peppermint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about middle schools, but I have seen the textbooks they use to teach English in sixth grade. There's a maximum of two sentences on any page in English, and even those are pretty much useless.

A lot of the reason that Korean people all ask the same questions when they meet a foreigner is because that's what they've been trained to do, in English class. The teachers who teach English as well, are often unable to speak the language clearly. They may be fantastic at teaching grammar and reading, but there is more to a language than reading.

I teach adults and I have many students who can't send a reasonably well written e-mail in English, nevermind write an essay. Often they have trouble understanding news broadcasts in English, and sometimes they even have trouble understanding eachother Shocked (Korean accent, grrrr)

There are huge problems with the Korean approach to learning English- that's widely acknowleged, especially by Korean teachers who teach English
Gollum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Have Reply with quote

HardyandTiny wrote:
Do you know if the Korean education system uses a standard method in their middle schools?

Have you been hanging out at that new "Trans Rose" bar in Itaewon or something? Your photo looks like some of the people I see crawling out of that place for a snack at some of the roadside food shops.
Sarah-in-Korea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Fonz, you have a point that many of us can't get by too well in Korean so shouldn't criticize those who try to speak a second language. BUT! I'm not trying to make money off people by teaching them something I'm inadequately qualified to do!
Oh, that's right. I am! I'm teaching English!
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:

Learning a foreign language for young learners is most effectively done by BILINGUAL teachers....Most of the western hogwan teachers in korea are FAR from being bilingual....many of us us are less qualified than the korean english teachers we teach with.....

I agree that bilingual teachers are the best, but you've drawn a funny conclusion from that.

The waygook teachers here are at least trying to teach something that they know how to do, which is speak English. The ajummas in question can't do that.

If they can't speak ENGLISH, they have no more business teaching English classes to Korean kids than I have teaching nuclear physics to American kids, even though I speak English fluently and vaguely remember seeing some diagrams of atoms when I was in high school.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Learning a foreign language for young learners is most effectively done by BILINGUAL teachers....

Not true, and proven conclusively in more than one study.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: