Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contraceptive injection.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Contraceptive injection. Reply with quote

Could anyone recommend a doctor or family planning practioner who would be able to give me the 'Depo Provera' (Progesteron only) contraceptive injection? I know it's available in the ROK, but I'd like to go somewhere reputable. Needles are pretty painful after all.

Oh yes, I live in the Seoul area.

Thanks.
katydid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Foreigner Clinic in Itaewon, maybe? I have their number somewhere and will try to dig it up for you.
Of course if someone else beats me to the punch, it's all the better for you to have the info sooner.
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year when I asked about it, I was told that it wasn 't available and that my best option was to travel to Thailand to get it. Tempting... Wink

More info on availablity in Seoul please

Last edited by peppermint on Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't actually an answer to your question but I just want you to be aware, if you're not already, that the Depo Provera shot is linked to serious weight gain. I've never had it myself, but there's tons of info out there about it.

Might be something to consider in this culture where anyone carrying a few extra pounds is labeled a pig.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:
This isn't actually an answer to your question but I just want you to be aware, if you're not already, that the Depo Provera shot is linked to serious weight gain. I've never had it myself, but there's tons of info out there about it.

Might be something to consider in this culture where anyone carrying a few extra pounds is labeled a pig.

VERY interesting and a good point! The same can be said for any kind of birth control, how your body might react to it. Some people are even allergic to latex! My honest opinion, since I hate shots, is for you to find a pill that works for well for you, and obviously, I am not talking about Tylenol! Buyer beware, though, you could wind up with serious bloating, acne, crazy-ass mood swings, or something else, depending on how your body takes it. Kind of might defeat the purpose of going ON birth control in the first place! Wink
My question about Depro-Provera: If you have to take it only 3 or 4 times a year, does it also stop your period for that long too? I'd be wary of something like that, just my humble opinion.
Seoul International Clinic, even though what Peppermint says, give it a shot (ha!) 790-0857, right nearby Itaewon station.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I had the shot in July (before I left for Korea) and the only side effect I've had is my b**bs getting bigger, which is fine by me!

No weight gain at all. I'm still slender. Hoorah! Although I have become a little more emotional than I was, but nothing horrendous. I've only had the kind of side effects described with a pill called 'Microgynon' some years back. I'm not meant to take the pill (oestrogens!) so I'm sticking with the shot.

As for periods. Nothing yet. No, I'm not pregnant or anything. It just makes them a little all over the place according to my doctor back home.
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might still be early to tell though. These things do affect a lot of processes in our bodies. Not trying to depress you or anything though! If you are one of the lucky ones who have few or no side effects, that's great. It's just that I've heard a lot of negative stuff about this shot, so I was concerned for your sake.

take care
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
Thanks! I had the shot in July (before I left for Korea) and the only side effect I've had is my b**bs getting bigger, which is fine by me!

No weight gain at all. I'm still slender. Hoorah!

Pics?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
Emma Clare wrote:

No weight gain at all. I'm still slender. Hoorah!

Pics?

Trust you to be the first guy to post on this thread looking for pics of Emma's bigger boobs and slenderness.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Trust you to be the first guy to post on this thread looking for pics of Emma's bigger boobs and slenderness.

I'm just saying what other people are thinking.
justagirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, wish I'd seen this sooner, cause I've gotten the birth control implant here in Korea.

I wouldn't recommend the depro-provera shot at all, as it can ruin your chances of feritility after you stop taking it. There are a lot of women very unhappy with it--please do a little research on the Net about it's side affects, because it sounded very unhealthy....I was sufficiently scared away from it from the testimonials of women who had taken it, and at one time it was my first choice for birth control.

I was trying to decide what kind of birth control to go on and spent months on the Net looking at different kinds, and decided that Implanon was the best fit for me. It's the implant that goes in your upper arm, and it's about the size of 1 matchstick--but more slender.

As far as the needle thing goes, they shoot the area with novocaine, so you can't feel a thing, and you don't have to look at all. It took about 30 seconds for the novocaine and the implant to be put in--soooo fast! And I'll never have to worry about forgetting a pill for 3 years.

Cost: 330,000, plus the cost of an ultrasound to make sure you are A OK inside before they give you the implant.

Side affects: same as any other birth control. Most women experience a change in their monthly cycle, which is its biggest complaint, but after 6 months or so it is supposed to settle into a pattern. About 20% of women stop having their cycles and most have a lighter cycle. I could give a lot more details, but anyone who is curious about more can pm me. Very Happy

Dr. Sung's Obsetrics & Gynecology (02)790-0802
2F Chung Wha Building, 273-3
Hannam-dong, Yongsan-Gu
Seoul

Speaks English very well and they were very professional. I'd recommend this (all female dr's and staff) clinic to anyone!

justagirl
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, don't mind the guys- they've been in Korea too long they can't help it Wink

No doubt, Depo can have some nasty side effects, but for they don't seem to affect every woman. I've got no problem with gaining weight, in strategic areas, so no nasty side effects here, and I was on it for a year and a half.

One thing tho, you may not get periods at all, some women don't and I was one of them. (after the scary first month, I realized it was a good thing Wink )

A friend who brought a years worth with her goes to the International Clinic in Itaewon to have the treatment so they should at least know what you are talking about.
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May the good Lord bless each and every little one of you lovely critters.... Very Happy
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
Lambskin is not as good as latex in preventing STDs etc.

Actually, lambskin condoms make no claims of preventing STDs at all.

And latex condoms don't really protect against all STDs. Genital herpes and genital warts are two obvious ones. Kind of depressing, huh?

As far as OC goes, I thought it was nice that you didn't have to have a prescription to buy the pill in Korea. I was pleased with the Ortho-like pill I got there (Triquilar). Not that I was having sex or anything. Embarassed But I'm not saying I didn't either. I'm no prude. Twisted Evil

Don't you just love that kind of lose/lose situation? And I must say that depo shots scare me. Something about almost never having your period is just weird. I'm no big fan of continuosly taking the pill to skip periods either.
anae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the rhythm method, but I have run into a number of organizations promoting natural family planning. It never hurts to understand your body more.

http://www.fertilityuk.org/index.html
http://woomb.org/index.html
http://www.tcoyf.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: