Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guam / Saipan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Guam / Saipan Reply with quote

Have any of you guys ever been there on a quick vacation during the summer break if yes where did you stay?
I want to book early so please pass on some advice for there.

Thanks Razz

Miss E
blackbird

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victoria on Saipan is cheap and clean. If you go to Saipan you should rent a car. The roads are good and traffic is light. Without a car it will be difficult to see all of the historical sites and you will be stuck at the crowded beaches with all of the Japanese and Koreans who also do not have cars. My wife and I rented a car and hotel room together for less than $80 per day. We found several nice, lightly populated beaches. At one beach we never saw another person for an entire day! What a nice change from Korea.
NotInKansasAnymore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: [b]Best Place...very cheap and beautiful in Guam[/b] Reply with quote

I went for a quick trip to Guam for 4 days and had the best time in a hotel called The Dai-Ichi Hotel. I paid $45 a night ON THE BEACH and they had the cheapest/best happy hour there and buffet. But, if you want to go for a day pass snorkeling,diving and kayaking...go down the beach about 100 yards to a hotel that looks very polynesian (can't remember the name) but it has a day pass for $40...the hotel itself is expensive so stay at the Dai Ichi. Email me if you need more info: Have a GREAT time!! I did! Laughing
[email protected]
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saipan is decent, but pales in comparison to anything in southeast asia.
you've got small, relatively clean beaches, clear water with ample opportunities for snorkeling/scuba (several small vessels/tanks/aircraft/coral/colorful fish under the sea), all the requisite water sports, and virtually no nightlife save a handful of dingy/cheesy bars and discos and quite a few "massage parlors" (the russians are particularly boisterous). we found a decent thai restaurant (unfortunately not sporting thai prices). the highlite of your trip will most likely be hanging out on the beach, soaking up the rays, chillin' like a villain.

you will want to rent a car/scooter/bike as previously mentioned. the most beautiful/interesting spots on the island are not near the hotels.

guam and saipan are u.s. territory, so expect to pay "u.s." prices on stuff such as booze, food, rentals, hotels, etc...

there's a tiny island you'll want to visit for a day. the folks at your hotel will tell you all about it if the brochures/magazines don't suffice.
sarahbrach

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: been twice Reply with quote

Hey Ive been to guam twice, mainly to cheaply get out of seoul, and to soak up the sun poolside and get some american made clothes....guam has payless, and shoe factory....also a macy's and Guess and lots of US stores.....................

Its an ok time, pales of course in comparison to other destinations....... but my first time i decided to go cheap.......and i stayed at the Royal Orchid hotel, off the beach.............sucked. You can't go there and go cheap.,...i regretted every cent.

I just went 3 weeks ago again and stayed at the Guam Hilton......beautiful, not overly crowded......5 pools, on the beach , lots of restaurants and a great health club and pool BBQ and bar.

Worth every cent!!!

However, on person mentioned the Tai Ichi hotel previously, or whatever the name...that was right down the beach,,,,and didn't look too shabby for that price!

good luck
Alias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in going there for vacation and was wondering how much it cost for a round trip ticket?

Also, do non-US citizens have to get a special visa for going there? I'm Canadian.

Thanks for your info.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
I'm interested in going there for vacation and was wondering how much it cost for a round trip ticket?

Also, do non-US citizens have to get a special visa for going there? I'm Canadian.

Thanks for your info.

As a Canadian you won't need a visa, just show up with your passport.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which one is better for the beaches and shopping in American stores? Guam or Saipan? which is cheaper?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
svenska

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cost me about $460 dollars round trip to saipan (july 2003).

swimming in "the grotto" was NICE. check it out.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived on Guam for three years, I can add my few cents worth.
If you like the sunshine, warmth, friendly people, shopping, it beats the hell out of korea! Lots of shopping available. Micronesia Mall is a large, typical indoor shopping mall that you'd find in Canada or the U.S.
K-Mart is open 24 hours a day and it out sells all other K-Marts combined.
Lot's of restaurants and hotels/motels. Shop around for the best rate. Stay on the beach and you'll pay more. Rent a car and stay at the outer motels and you'll save money. A car rental company called "Cars Unlimited" rents for $25.00 a day. Used cars with A/C. They are not too far from the airport. You have to get their at 8am to rent a car though; lines start forming early due to the prices. Cars Unlimited, they are in the yellow pages. The airport side of the island is not as beautiful as the other side. Tour around to the other side. Really beautiful! The Hilton Hotel has a great buffet! Breakfast or dinner! Don't take taxi's if possible; expensive!
Check out a mall called "GPO," Guam Premium Outlet." Brand name items at savings. No, I'm not trying to sell Guam as a tourist spot. But, getting away from koreans for a vacation is the name of the game and Guam is 4 hours away. No visa needed for most countries. Even koreans can stay for 14 days visa free. You need a round trip ticket unless you're American. Guam is part of the U.S. as is Saipan. Beaches are great, the water is clean and warm! You'll freak out if you have been in korea for any length of time; turn on the TV in Guam and 60 plus English channels!
It gets HOT during the day and cool in the evenings. Oh, but what a sunset and sunrise!
Alias

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question. Do non-Americans have to have an international drivers license to rent a car? Thanks
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
Question. Do non-Americans have to have an international drivers license to rent a car? Thanks

Canadians can use their Cdn. licenses, and I'm fairly certain (but not 100%) that you can use a Korean driver's licence. I can't remember what I used, but I know it wasn't my int'l. licence.
just because

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...getting away from koreans for a vacation is the name of the game..."
I don't know where you are talking about hellofaniceguy but you can't get away from the Koreans going to Guam. It is as I understand very popular with Koreans. Granted you lived there so I should keep my 2 cents worth but seriously if I was trying to get away from Koreans I wouldn't go to Guam.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have explained what I wrote more in detail....
You will be HARD pressed to run into koreans in Guam UNLESS you are looking for them. You won't have any business dealings with koreans again unless you are looking specifically for korean business owners or tourists. Tourists from korea? Tourism is way down with regards to koreans visiting Guam. Especially after the KAL crash a few years back.
Besides, my post was meant to be more tongue in cheek! The korean business owners in other countries sure "act and behave" differently when out of korea. Guam is no exception. Even the korean tourists are not spitting, shoving, yelling, cutting in front of people in lines, driving crazy, etc. Even in the hotel lobbies, all seems calm! They sure follow the road laws in other countries. And it's strange; the same road laws are in korea! Like "not running red lights, stopping for pedestrians, etc.
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was on Boracay this summer and I couldn't beleive all the Koreans I saw.

Koreans seem to also enjoy traelling in large groups.

I laughed when I saw all the gaudy Korean women wearing high heels at the beach and holding Louis Vuiton hand bags - What a sight!

Ha, aha!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: