Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gettin a visa for one school but not going

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Gettin a visa for one school but not going Reply with quote

Has anyone out there ever gotten a visa for one school but decided not to go. How about when they pick you up at the airport and you just go past them and go straight to a hotel until you find soemthing better? has anyone ever gotten cold feet about a new school? I am tired of sheobox housing. Where are the rich men??????????
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gettin a visa for one school but not going Reply with quote

princess wrote:
Has anyone out there ever gotten a visa for one school but decided not to go.

Once the visa has been issued, you're locked in as far as Immigration is concerned. They won't issue another one until the issued one expired.

Quote:
How about when they pick you up at the airport and you just go past them and go straight to a hotel until you find soemthing better?

If the school paid for your ticket, then they may file a criminal complaint, you will be unable to leave the country, and you will be charged with fraud. You will be sent to jail, then deported when it's all over at your expense, and you will have to surrender your passport to your government until you've paid them back for having to fly you home.

Quote:
has anyone ever gotten cold feet about a new school? I am tired of sheobox housing. Where are the rich men??????????

Ask for a larger place. Hell, say "I will take a 100,000 Won paycut if you move me into a place that costs 100,000 more." BOOM! Larger apartment with no problems. Some employers will even say "you choose the place you want, we'll pay the first 300,000 and the key deposit. You pay for anything above that if you want a larger place."

Ask and you will receive.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing what you described princess is both unethical and plain irresponsible.
The school pays your ticket and then you shaft them by walking "right by them" to "look for something better".
If you sign a contract you should adhere by it.
Like the capt said, if you do what you describe you will most likely suffer legal consequences and why not...
As far as a bigger appartment, its in your hands really. Just like back home, if you want a bigger place you have to pay for it...and here I thought that was pretty obvious stuff to any person with an ounce of common sense....
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gettin a visa for one school but not going Reply with quote

princess wrote:
Has anyone out there ever gotten a visa for one school but decided not to go. How about when they pick you up at the airport and you just go past them and go straight to a hotel until you find soemthing better? has anyone ever gotten cold feet about a new school? I am tired of sheobox housing. Where are the rich men??????????

Already occupied by other gold-diggers?
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess ~

I agree with the others - I heard/know that sort of thing (the cold-foot bail) is done, but do not do it.

As for housing, those were good suggestions. But remember, it will be the school laying out the key money - even for a shoebox, that is usually upwards of 5 mil won, and increases enormously based upon the pyung of the apt.

in ANY case, housing for any job should be very clean, if not modern, convenient, and PRIVATE, if that is what you want. No ifs, ands, or buts!!!

Standard for uni housing allowance is 5 mil/year; that should give you an idea . . .

Good luck!

Glen
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gettin a visa for one school but not going Reply with quote

Captain Obvious 2.0 wrote:

Once the visa has been issued, you're locked in as far as Immigration is concerned. They won't issue another one until the issued one expired.

I've heard you aren't "locked in" until you get your alien residency card. For instance, if you get your visa in the states but don't fly over to Korea to take that job, you can still get a visa for another job. While that is obviously very unethical and rude, it is legally possible. This is only what i've heard- i'm not 100% positive.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gettin a visa for one school but not going Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
I've heard you aren't "locked in" until you get your alien residency card. For instance, if you get your visa in the states but don't fly over to Korea to take that job, you can still get a visa for another job. While that is obviously very unethical and rude, it is legally possible. This is only what i've heard- i'm not 100% positive.

Alien residency is just for Immigration to know where you live. It's required for anyone who stays in Korea for longer than 90 days. Us sexy Canadians can stay up to six months on a tourist visa, but we still have to get an alien registration card even without working.

Once the visa is issued, that's it.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not happy with a place or a contract, the time to back out of it is BEFORE you get the visa. Not only is it the ethical (and legal) thing to do but it is the action that will give you the least hassle.

What exactly is it that you think you are entitled to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: