Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been sold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: I've been sold Reply with quote

The hogwon I work at has been losing money since before i got there and my director has decided to call it quits. I suppose he didn't want to leave me and the korean teacher high and dry (or else he just wanted to get a finders fee) so he sold us to Butter English. This is going to be a new school and hasn't even opened yet. I get to meet my new boss on the 27th. the second will be my last day and on the 6th of october i start my new job. Of course we can't tell the students that the school is going to close.

I'm thinking that since I will be working for a new school I will need to have a new contract and I will also need to get a new E-2 visa. Does anyone know about this. I think I will get in contact with elf-law, but if anyone has gone thourgh this before i would love to hear about it.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much did your boss make? Hmmm... trafficking in English teachers - I wonder how profitable this could be. As an enterprising individual I am always looking for new ways to make money.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must notify immigration. Been there done that. Have them stamp the new info in your passport and immigration card or you'll be paying a large fine and have a black mark next to your name. Are you losing out on severance pay? I sure as heck would not want to start all over again! Get it pro-rated but someone (old owner or new owner) better cover it and whatever else you have in your contract. Cause what will happen; new owner says, "Not my problem, I'm the new owner. Old owner says, hey, I sold it. It's not my problem."
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butter English?

Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry, but I can't stop giggling here.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, be a little careful. What has been said is correct however not all hogwans can employ a foreign teacher. Your boss can also be fined if he doesn't notify immigration that he has finished with your services. So bottom line be careful that you don't find yourself without a job. Check first that the new hogwon can actually employ a foreign teacher. For instance many (but not all) general subject hogwons can't employ a foreign teacher.
Green Bay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that too.

Hellofaniceguy is right. You have to have immigration change your E2 visa and your residence card to your new school. If you start at your new school without changing your visa, you're working illegally. You get caught and you'll get kicked out of Korea after paying a fine (likely one million won or so).

Do you have a Korean friend or know somebody who can speak both languages? You might need some help when you meet your new director. The reason I ask is because there's a very, very high probability your new director's going to want you to sign a new, one-year contract.

So you'd better be prepared to stand your ground and insist on the new director only picking up what's remaining on your current deal. Including airfare and severance.

It really helps to have a Korean translate for you during negotiations.

Good luck.
just because

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your topic the opening class for your high level students. I've been sold......
captain kirk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash to the movie 'Gladiator', where he wakes up in a wooden cage on a rattling cart bumping along across the desert. A black man smiles and is inserting maggots into his wounded shoulder. The gladiator falls asleep and wakes up in...Wonderland!
Mr. Kalgukshi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Provision Reply with quote

Unless there is a provision in your present contract stipulating that your owner/director has the right to "sell" your contract, it is most probable he does not. Even if he does (highly unlikely) and you go along with it and sign on with an illegal or legal school and do not jump through all the hoops necessary to make yourself legal again, you are placing yourself in great jeopardy.

There is also the question as to whether what he is proposing is legal under Korean law?

Talk to a lawyer. Talk to Immigration. Talk to Labour.

Tell your director you are talking to the foregoing. Give him something to think about.

Good luck.
Seoul Skye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Obtain Letter of Release Reply with quote

You still need to obtain a letter of release from the old employer because Immigration does not have a provision for transfer of a work permit from one business to another.

The letter of release should stipulate the reason your employment is ending with the old school and the conditions of seperation e.g. airfare to be reimbursed, severance, etc.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Butter Reply with quote

BTM wrote:
Butter English?

Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry, but I can't stop giggling here.

"Butter English" is the "nicer" way of saying, "Greasy English".

Look out!

hahahahhaa
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Provided that two hogwons plus a foreign teacher go through immigration and the said foreign English teacher gets a stamp to work at a second hogwan on his passport and alian card for the remaining period of the contract I can't see a problem except geting severance and holiday money at the end of the contract period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: