Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa HELP Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Visa HELP Questions Reply with quote

I recently renewed my contract. I started my second year at the same institute.

Last week, I went to immigration to renew my visa. But, the immigration officers did not stamp my passport. They just added numbers (period of stay) to the back of my alien registration card.

Should they have stamped my passport with a new visa?

How do they know the type of visa you renew for (single or multiple entry)?

How long does a re-entry permit last?
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about it.

You got your E2. You're in the system. No worries. In the rare instance you do get carded, dont worry because the cops dont want to be bothered speaking English. They'll look at your card and hand it back to you.

Relax.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Accurate Answer Please Reply with quote

william beckerson,

Thank you for your reply. Smile

What if I renew again next year? I do not have a new visa stamp. What will immigration do? Crying or Very sad

Again, do you need a NEW visa stamp (or some kind of stamp in your passport) when you get your visa renewed? Shocked

Of course, cops do not care. However, immigration may care. When I try to travel abroad for a vacation, immigration will check.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem without the stamp. You do need to remember that if you take a vacation out of country you need to buy a re-entry VISA. when you do that you will get a stamp. Every time I renew a contract I pay for the re-entry regardless of whether or not I plan to leave the country. You never know when your family back home could have an emergency, car accident, disease, death what have you. It's good to be prepared
rasta man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going through the same thing, thanks for the info. What I'm worried about is heading back here from the US next month and showing my passport with an "expired" visa to some airline moron while checking in who will not understand that the visa has been renewed and is valid and wont let me on the plane, can you see showing your reg card thats in Korean to some moron who cant write a sentence in English?
Real Reality

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

kimcheeking,

Do you know how long a re-entry permit lasts (10 days, 30 days, 60 days)?
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, if you get a multiple entry VISA you can come and go like the wind. If you're willing to make a day of it in the immigration office again...

And as far as I know, only Americans ( or the relatives of US service personel ...I'm not certain on that point) get the multi-entry VISA straight off.

I have many "expired"s on my passport. A few seconds of telling the immigration guy you're here as a tourist is all you really require. They dont really care as long as it all looks okay. So you have an E2 instead of a tourist? Once you're out of his sight, he doesnt care about it.

If you're Canadian, your tourist visa lasts six months. I think US citizens have three. I dont know about Brits, Ausies and Kiwis.

The only people you have to worry about in Korea is your school. They can yank their sponsorship from you at any time. You'll have 14 days to pack.

Hope that helps
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank You Reply with quote

Real Reality wrote:
kimcheeking,

Do you know how long a re-entry permit lasts (10 days, 30 days, 60 days)?

Mulitple re-entry is good for your entire visa. Single re-entry is limited but I'm not sure how long. Multiple costs 50,000.... single again I don't know sorry.
Hotuk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a multiple-entry visa and am going away for a few weeks next month. Do I have to do anything special in advance (forms, etc) or do I just wave my passport at them going out and coming back in?
william beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave it, say thank you, and go on.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Visa HELP Questions Reply with quote

Last time I had a multi entry visa it cost me 70,000 won, whereas a single entry was 50,000 won. The multiple entry was good up until 2 weeks prior to the expiry of the E2.
So if you plan on making a number of out-of-country trips, the multi visa is a bargain, and lasts almost as long as your working visa.
Happy flying, boating, walking or whatever!
kumuka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: E2 renewal question Reply with quote

Please advise, If I start with a new employer for my second year, do I have to go to Japan and get a new Visa or can I just go to the local immigration and get a new renewal stamp? Question
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re : multiple entry

If your E-2 is single entry, you can get a spiffy multiple-entry at Incheon (the office is clearly marked in English on the same floor as international check-ins) airport on the day of departure if you need to go home. I did this last month when I went home for Xmas. It's (if I recall correctly) 40,000 won, takes 5 minutes.

kumuka : you do not need to leave Korea to re-up with the same employer.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW QUESTION FOR THIS THREAD:
How many times may a teacher renew an E2 while staying in the country with the same school? A teacher told me he can renew only once then has to go to Japan again after the second year. Is this true?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NearlyKorean

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NEW QUESTION FOR THIS THREAD:
How many times may a teacher renew an E2 while staying in the country with the same school? A teacher told me he can renew only once then has to go to Japan again after the second year. Is this true?

No, it's not true. I renewed 3 times with the same school. Another fellow has done his 5th renewal. I don't beleive there is a limit to the number of times you can renew E-2 visa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: