Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exactly how much is the insurance fee, the 50% ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Exactly how much is the insurance fee, the 50% ... Reply with quote

Exactly how much is the insurance fee, the 50% thats stated so much?
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what does it cover, how much and does it include dental?
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Not sure about Reply with quote

I'm not sure about dental, but I think my part of cost is 50% of about 280,000 won every 4 months. So I'm paying around 140,000 every 4 months for medical coverage. My employer reimburses me for the other half.

If you don't get coverage right away, you end up back-paying every month you didn't have it. It's a stupid rule that makes them money off you.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is the skinny:

This is the official policy; however, coverage is dependent on the insurance PROVIDER!!!

It is VERY important that you get the NATIONAL insurance policy - demand it from your employer. Everyone I know who has non-national policies winds up paying out the wazoo if they have to visit the hospital.

The following is from a Uni contract; the numbers are the important part . . .

Quote:
D. Insurance: The Instructor is required to subscribe to the national health insurance plan. The Instructor will pay one half of the premium fee and the Employer will pay the other half. (The total insurance premium is 3.8% of the Instructor's income. 1.9% will be deducted from the Instructor's salary and 1.9% will be paid by the Employer.) If the Instructor receives medical attention at a (The University)-affiliated hospital, the Instructor will receive a 50% discount on the medical bill.

Hope that helps EVERYONE out.

Regards,

G.
Jane99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: some things aren't covered... Reply with quote

I have been told that cancer tests are not covered by your medical insurance so you have to pay the full price. I went and got an annual Pap done (ovarian cancer) and ended up paying 50,000 won for the test. It's not covered.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane - I wouldn't have a need for either of those, fortunately. But which policy are you on? The National Insurance? Just curious . . .

G.
Jane99

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the standard national insurance.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dental not included....

all prenatal care is not included...
vin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems with my enrolling for my health insurance here in Korea. My boss seems to think that the Government Health Insurance fees are 160,000KRW per month (with her paying 50%) according to how much I earn, but I've spoken to all my friends who are paying a third of that a month and they get paid more than I do! Why am I paying so much compared to everyone else?
Is anyone else paying ridiculous fees? None of my friends know what their Government Insurance is specifically called. As far as they know its the NHIC insurance they're paying for, but they don't know why they're fees are less than mine...
Also the apartment that I'm living in currently operates on petroleum to heat the floors. I'm a little worried about this because if a spark lights up "KABOOM!!" There'll be wonderful fireworks in my neighbourhood. The problem is my boss owns the apartment and in winter the amount I have to pay to keep my pipes from freezing up is 400,000KRW and I have to pay this everymonth during winter!! Its insane! If my boss owns the apartment, shouldn't she be footing this oil bill or is this my responsibilty? 400,000KRW plus the ridiculous 80,000KRW for the medical insurance plus all the other bills on top of that works out to be a third of my pay! I'm not saving anything at all... What should I do? Crying or Very sad
siborg69

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think im going to have a similar problem when i get my first pay in a couple of weeks....the american i work with got his first pay a few weeks ago and the school apparently took out about 250,000 for medical insurance! surely this cant be right? anyone ive spoken to have said they pay between 50,000 and 90,000 a month with the school paying the other half....so is there a definitive amount that everyone should be paying??
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current rate for NHIC medical insurance ( http://www.nhic.or.kr/english/index.html ) is 4.77% of your salary and that is split 50/50 with your employer.

For a 2 mil per month salary you should pay 47,700 and your employer should match that amount. If your employer is paying and charging you quartly (every 3 months) the amount would be 3 times that or 143,100 and they should match it.

For other salary amounts, multiply your monthly salary by 0.0477 and you pay 1/2 with your employer paying the other 1/2.

(Mulitply your salary by 0.02385 if you just want your portion).

MiniMoonks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently applying for teaching positions in South Korea....

So make sure the contract states (or ask the director) that it's a National Insurance plan? Dental is not included? How about Medicine/prescription drugs?

I'll be sure discuss my medical insurance with my potential employer and make sure I'm not getting to much taken out of my paychecks.
JustJohn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach with GEPIK and my teacher said I have the same insurance as them. I got surgery on my finger and it cost about $250. I believe this was about 30% of the total cost, perhaps even less.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoonks wrote:
I'm currently applying for teaching positions in South Korea....

So make sure the contract states (or ask the director) that it's a National Insurance plan? Dental is not included? How about Medicine/prescription drugs?

I'll be sure discuss my medical insurance with my potential employer and make sure I'm not getting to much taken out of my paychecks.

NHIC is REQUIRED BY LAW. There is NO opting out or alternative choice (that is legal).

You can also get supplimentary insurance to cover the co-pay or loss of wages if you plan to be sick far enough in advance or have bad habits like walking in front of moving cars or getting drink and picking fights (but it won't cover your legal costs - just the medical ones).

Some dental is included in the national plan (eg: basic filling is 3500 won).
Specifics are available on the NHIC website (link above).

If you are from the states, think Canada medical insurance but without the waiting times.

If you are from Canada or the UK think - just like home but with a co-pay portion and instant service - no long waits.

I don't know about medical plans in NZ, AUS or S.A.
smaulik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just to confirm, all employers must pay 50% of national health insurance? Because I'm going to be working for a hagwon (albeit a big, well-known one) and they say that they do not pay for it. Are there exceptions? If it makes a difference, I'm going to be paid hourly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: