Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-2? F-4? E-2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratslash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: F-2? F-4? E-2? Reply with quote

what on earth are all these different types of visa status? i know what an e-2 is (i think!) but what about all the rest? and what's a gyopo? just interested.

also, don't just restrict your answers to the above types of visa. list and explain any others that you think would be handy to know about.

take care and thanks
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link for all the specifics...
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/02_business/service_01_f.html

An E2 visa is for teaching foreign languages.
An F2 visa is for people married to Korean nationals or their children if they were born outside of Korea and are joining family here - for Residence purposes. I thin you can also get one of these if you've lived in Korea for 7 years.
An F4 visa is for an overseas Korean - someone born outside of Korea of Korean parents. These people are commonly known as Gyopos.
A C4 visa is for short term employment (such as a summer camp)

You'll find the full list on the link above...
Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
Check out this link for all the specifics...
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/02_business/service_01_f.html

An E2 visa is for teaching foreign languages.
An F2 visa is for people married to Korean nationals or their children if they were born outside of Korea and are joining family here - for Residence purposes. I thin you can also get one of these if you've lived in Korea for 7 years.
An F4 visa is for an overseas Korean - someone born outside of Korea of Korean parents. These people are commonly known as Gyopos.
A C4 visa is for short term employment (such as a summer camp)

You'll find the full list on the link above...

E2 is your basic slave visa.You are owned by your school. They can ruin you, decide not to release you, etc.

F2 is for married people. I have the F-2-1 visa, and I am basically immune from the school's influence. I can leave the school any time I want with no consequences. I can quit and get a new job. No need of any release letters. I am owned by my wife. She is my sponsor, not my school.

F4 is for Kyopos.
ratslash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the answers. sounds like i'll have to marry my girlfriend!!!
claydog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: The F-2-1 Reply with quote

Hi, This is a message for Canuck or anyone who can answer it,
How do you get an F-2-1 visa? I'm married to a Korean national and looking to return to Korea. The Embassy here in Australia said some shady stuff about the straight F-2 visa, like this visa doesn't allow one to work as such(slave to my wife, pretty much(not much different!)). I'm aware of how to get the F-2, but want the freedom of your visa...too many E-2 visa stories read, I was lucky the first time round. Although I didn't receive a release letter from my last employer, who wasn't paying medical or pension, the latter I can't get back anyway(comments also please).

regards
Claydog
Bryan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:

True?
rooster_2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan wrote:
waterbaby wrote:

True?
I think the seven years leading to an F-2 is only on paper. I don't think they'll actually give you an F-2 if you've lived here for seven years, no matter how good your Korean is, no matter how many PhDs you have, and no matter how Korean you look. I say this because I contacted an immigration law office (Sigong Law) and spoke to a lawyer there, and he says he knows of no case in which a foreigner has ever gotten an F-2 for seven years of residence in Korea, even though it says it in the books. And he's an immigration lawyer.
jeffreymellman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: F-2 w/o marraige Reply with quote

i've lived and taught in korea (3 different universities) with an E-2 visa since 1998---and recently went to busan immigration asking to change to an F-2 visa. at first they said i had to be married---but after i pointed out the actual rules they did a bit of research and still denied me.

they said that even though they could see i'd been employed in korea since 1998, my current job and alien registration card has been for only 4 years---

they said i could get it almost %100 next year---when 5 years had passed-----

i'm gonna call around and try to get it this year---

i 'm hoping i can prove the previous poster's lawyer's information wrong---this year or next---- can anyone help?
thanx in advacne,
jeff
jeffreymellman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: f-2 visa w/o marriage Reply with quote

spoke to seoul immigration----they say they are defining residency as the same E-2 / same job---- sounds like a warped definition of residency---- all the contracts ran back to back--- and i had 6 straight years at one school before my second job---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: