Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really true that can't bring many kinds of regular products?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Really true that can't bring many kinds of regular products? Reply with quote

Talking to my Korean ex-girlfriend today. Showed her the inside of my suitcase of stuff I will take to Korea with me. She saw my bottles of regular store bought vitamins (vit c and multi vitamins) as well as one small box of 30 day supply vitamin packs. Most of the vitamins are still in their regular packages and unopened therefore brand new. She says that any inspectors upon seeing these very well might not allow me to bring them into Korea. I think her reasoning was partially in that they would assume I am bringing them in to sell them -- which I am not -- and perhaps the other reason is because vitamins aren't so socially acceptable(?) there in Korea - might be considered like light drugs or something?? She said the only way it would be acceptable is if I take out all vitamins and repackage them in ziploc bags to make them look like they are totally personal that would be acceptable. But forget that I want to keep the bottles.

Anyways if anyone can directly confirm that bottled/unopened vitamins would "flag" the immigration inspectors please say so. In all there are 2 bottles of Chewable Vitamin C (100 tablets each), 3 bottles of multivitamins (60, 60, and 90 tablets) and one small box of 30 day supply of vitamin packs. Again any specific reason I should be concerned? Definately don't want it confiscated!!! That's my health.

p.s. thinking about bringing a bottle or two of melatonin (completely natural sleep aid).
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, you fill out the 'something to declare' form and click 'nothing to declare' and get waved through. No-one inspects your bags. Maybe it's because U.S. soldiers are waived from customs inspections and so it's generally lax, the mood. But don't come after me if your vitamins 'get confiscated'. No worries.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never once been hassled by Korean Customs and I've come and gone from Korea about 5 or 6 times now. I've brought a years supply of vitamins with me too, all kinds of cold and flu remedies etc.
BTM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She said the only way it would be acceptable is if I take out all vitamins and repackage them in ziploc bags to make them look like they are totally personal that would be acceptable. But forget that I want to keep the bottles.

Ah-hahahah. Sounds like she wants to get you detained at customs.

That's pretty hilarious.
marcy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitamins are very common here, I've seen them in lots of drug stores. I brought an entire pharmacy with me and no one said a thing. My bags were x-rayed but not searched. Keep everything in the package and don't worry. About the ziploc thing though...When you get a prescription here that's how it comes, in little baggies with no label, warnings, expiration date or directed usage, it's a little bit haphazard if you ask me...
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain kirk wrote:
In my experience, you fill out the 'something to declare' form and click 'nothing to declare' and get waved through. No-one inspects your bags. Maybe it's because U.S. soldiers are waived from customs inspections and so it's generally lax, the mood. But don't come after me if your vitamins 'get confiscated'. No worries.

i always get picked on. About half the time i've flown into incheon, they have chosen me to be the random search. One of those times was when I came back from HKG with a 6 pack of beer and other goodies. I've also brought vitamins into this country. Don't worry, you won't have any problems with customs unless you decide to bring in some electronics (personal computer exlcuded) and other high-end stuff. Your ex is just being paranoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: