Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand-uh pones! (cell phones)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasmine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Hand-uh pones! (cell phones) Reply with quote

If I buy a Samsung CDMA phone here in Canada, will I be able to get it hooked up in Korea? I just want to have all my functions available in English. I hate having to memorise all the buttons for checking and deleting messages.
Laughing
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe newer phones can change languages so that all menus come up in English. The phone i saw was a fairly pricey one from LG Cyon.

an alternative plan if phones are not compatible internationally
Hotuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biligual phones are still not standard here, though I wish they were. I got an LG Cyon color phone in the summer but give it to my wife out of frustration with the menus. Replaced it with a Motorola, which does English. Nokias also do English, I believe.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know all motorolas in Korea can be changed over to English. The guy in the shop won't know how to do it... ask a korean friend to look thru the manual and do it for you.

with basic Korean skills you should be able to do it yourself.
Pilcrshr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI most of the newer domestic manufactuers models (i.e. Samsung and LG) have optional english menus. The only problem is that they are typically found on the higher end models (translation $$$). I've found the most of the LG Cyon mobile phones have the optional english menus, but beware of the poor build quality. I've had mine for 4 months now and have been to the after-service offices thrice already. If I had to purchase again, I'd go with the Samsung phones.

EDIT: Jasmine, do not purchase the phone in Canada. Although its using CDMA technology, the frequencies used in Korea are different. You will have to exchange your SIM card (chip) inside of the phone to get your to work. It is not worth the hassle or money to do it.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: curious Reply with quote

I am just curious about how most foreigners get phones here. I know some people are married to Koreans. How else do you get phones? Do your friends use their id's? (I have a phone, I'm curious about how others get them for future reference to help other foreigners.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first got my phone on my own id. I had to put down a 200,000 won deposit. I have since changed my phone to my wifes name and got my deposit back.
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: The way to go is.... Reply with quote

The way to go is to have a Korean friend sign you up in thier name. Then you aren't paying the terribly high cardphone rates (something like 500 won/minute to call).

Buy a motorola phone (can do English) and go with 016 for a number. It's cheaper than 011, and quality is very good. I had recommended 011 before, but my Korean friends told me I should go with 016 because of cost.

I'm waiting on buying a new phone because I just bought a new camera.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotuk wrote:
Biligual phones are still not standard here.

Incorrect.

Nearly every phone will have English menus as an option. The only models I know of that don't are Cyons that are not sold outside the Korean market as of yet. Though most Cyons are eventually sold outside of Korea and when it is you can upgrade to the newer English O/S by downloading it.
TobyWhite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: handuphones Reply with quote

I was under the impression that North American phones will not work in Korea, and vice versa because of different service methods. Am I wrong? My friend brought her Nokia Fido phone here - can she use it? If I buy a Korean phone can I use it back home?
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2000 I put down 200,000 won and signed up with SK. I bought a Samsung model, and I have always found the after service very good. Every time I had my phone repaired for free, even when it got sunk in some slush and mud in some sink hole next to the curb. I have sinced changed phones twice and have never had any problems. Plus, the Korean menu is good reading practice Smile And....These new camera phones are cool!
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English menus on Korean phones? That would have saved me a lot of trouble last year when I was trying to access something or other (probably some dumb game) and accidentally locked myself out of my own phone.
Kids: Let this be a lesson. DO NOT just hit random buttons when something isn't working the way you want it to.
mra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Korean friend of mine has a Motorola phone in Korea. It does not have an English menu option. The phone is recent and is still on sale now - so beware.

Also, Motorola tend to be functionally deficient anyway - eg, some will not allow you to pick a name from your address book when sending an SMS, so you have to remember the number. I had the same problem with my Motorola phone in the UK 3 years ago, I thought they'd have fixed it by now!

I have a Korean only phone in Korea. It was a nightmare to use until I got a Korean friend to teach me how to add to the address book and send/recv SMS messages.

Some Korean phones have some pretty mad features. One from Samsung, The Diamond Phone, has a feature which tells women when they are most and least likely to get pregnant!!

BTW, Korea uses a different system from every other country. You need to get your phone in Korea.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - between my wife and me we've gone through five phones in the last 18 months - we're kind of phone junkies. Two Motorolas, two LGs, and a Samsung. Only one of them, the new Motorola, does English. The 2nd Motorola, a 2001 model still common, did not.

Our experience has been, in five different occasions of phone-shopping, the statement "nearly every phone will have English menus as an option", is incorrect. And we had to *go looking* for the new English one.

Once again, our phone history: 5 phones, 4 of them with no English, and no firmware upgrade to make them English.
beckyinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to know the deal with the phones, you should just buy it online (like sort of those ebay sites). ask some korean person to buy it for you. i have a nokia phone and it has both english and korean letters. since i dont have my korean skills down, i got this phone on english, and it's not so expensive to buy. plus nokia phones are so much easy friendly. la la la!!!! pzzzzzzzzzzzz Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: