Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just as my life in korea was finally getting sorted update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method described in the op for dealing with problem children is one I've heard often in Korea- the logic goes like this: the kid is acting up in order to gain attention, so give him/her the attention they need, make them feel wanted and special, and the problem will disappear. I'm not saying I neccessarily buy this, just explaining the reasoning behind it. In some ways I suppose it makes sense, as teachers are much more surrogate parents in Korea than they are in the west.

I too have been told in the past to make problem kids feel special- not a hug neccessarily but maybe some class-room 'teacher's helper' task, or some small reward usually reserved for good work. I never really used it- never really had to, but then I've never had a kid smack me in the face either. I doubt I could 'hug' a kid who did that to me. And who did it repeatedly? No f***ing way.

For some reason it reminds me of a scene I saw my first winter in Korea:
Family comes out of a restaurant after dinner- oldest son (maybe 11 or 12) zips around the corner, hides, and when mom walks past he sticks out his foot and trips her. She goes sprawling and sliding down the icy sidewalk and gets a slush bath. Whole family (Mom included) immediately goes into fits of laughter at son's joke. (Also noticed that dad didn't help mom up- what a nice family unit!). I just couldn't believe my eyes.

Anyway back to classroom discipline- Korea is wierd, embracing 2 opposite methods for dealing with classroom problems: Hug them, or thrash them to within an inch of their lives. Very Strange.
mishlert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a kiddie class once and one of the boys was bothering and hitting the other kids, so I took him to the front desk looking for the director.
The secretaries asked me what was wrong, and when I told them one of them asked him a question to which he said yes. She then started speaking to him in a stern voice and the next thing I knew he was in tears and never did again. Later I asked her what was said to him and she told me that she said that the next time he hits anyone he will be taken to the police station and that the cops would take care of him, after which his parents will be called by one of the officers to come and pick him up.
Of course they would never do that, but he was too young to know the difference.
ratslash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishlert... that had me laughing.

gord... man, you write a stupid thing and then redeem yourself with a good post and some good advice a couple of posts later. why not just do this in your first post?!?!?

and i would never hit a seven year old kid back! my punishment was merely to try and put him in the corner for a few minutes.

as of yet she still hasn't foned me, but i feel like taking corporal's advice. but then again, i need the work and the money. see what happens but i might try the 'bribery' route, stickers, sweets, etc. worked for me in the past now that i remember it. thanks for all your advice.

the good will come out.....
captain kirk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss says things like this, 'teach the students with love'. And, 'if you discipline a student then hug them afterwards' (and basically let them know you are ok with them, not the behaviour). The boss looks like a grasping amoeba demonstrating a hug.
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just point to the camera on the ceiling and say "hello police officer!" or "hey! your mommy's looking. Hello mommy!". Kindies will fall for that sort of stuff.
If it's a more serious incident I try raising my voice, or taking some stickers away from the set amount due to them at the end of each class. At the end of the class I usually chase them around and tickle them when I catch them.
Like CK said, the behaviour's the problem, not the kid. Makes for a pretty miserable set of school-days memories if you believed the teacher hated your guts.
It's a little difficult to think rationaly, however, when you've just been punched in the groin and laughed at, but I'm in a safe environment now and sober reflection is possible.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
L'Homme Connu Comme L'Homme,

You mean hug them so tight they can't breathe like Joaquin Pheonix as Commodus did to his father in Gladiator?

In a bluffing kind of way, yes.

ps did anybody else find themselves laughing out loud in the theater watching _Gladiator_ when the combatants heads got lopped off?
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

I didn't hit this one kid who tried to fight me, but I did pie face her.

She was calling me names, so I proceeded to humiliate her in front of the class, and made her cry. Then she tried to take my marker away and I wouldn't let her.

I also learned 'Man ji ji ma' which means don't touch me.
ratslash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so she didn't phone me all weekend to tell me whether she wanted me to teach today. so i go to the school anyway expecting her to tell me that she doesn't want me to teach. she did want me to teach and not only that, she made the kid who hit me apologise!!! and then she gave me the wages owed to me and told me come back on my next scheduled day!!!

needless to say, i am still looking for a new job coz this woman obviously has a screw loose! all that sh*te she gave me on thursday and now all this today!

still, can't complain. she didn't sack me and she paid me. life rolls on!
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilsanman...you need to get out of teaching right now...I can't believe any adult let along any teacher would come out and proudly tell the world that he humiliated a young girl and made her cry. It is sad that you think that this is okay. And to say on another post that you think you are a good teacher, that is just ridiculous. There is not a 'good' teacher in the world who would resort to humiliation to get control of their class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: