Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get an F-4 Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanpark725 wrote:
I am leaving for Korea this Sunday and it is currently Thursday evening here in D.C. I am wondering if I take all the necessary materials to the Consulate General office here early tomorrow morning (Friday) will I be able to get my F-4 visa that day? Also, do I need a hojuk if this is the first time I am applying for the F-4? Or is that only necessary for when renewing a F-4? FYI, I currently have a C-3 visa.

Don't fret, you can get one in Korea. I returned to Korea in 2005 and got a one-month visa free stay because I have a U.S. passport. I then got my documents and applied for the F-4 visa, which I got without having to leave the country.
gyopogirlfromtexas

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
jeanpark725 wrote:
I am leaving for Korea this Sunday and it is currently Thursday evening here in D.C. I am wondering if I take all the necessary materials to the Consulate General office here early tomorrow morning (Friday) will I be able to get my F-4 visa that day? Also, do I need a hojuk if this is the first time I am applying for the F-4? Or is that only necessary for when renewing a F-4? FYI, I currently have a C-3 visa.

Don't fret, you can get one in Korea. I returned to Korea in 2005 and got a one-month visa free stay because I have a U.S. passport. I then got my documents and applied for the F-4 visa, which I got without having to leave the country.

SO, I went to buy a one way ticket to Korea from Austin, TX today. The agent said she cannot do that since I don't have a visa. That I can only buy the roundtrip to Korea, without a visa.

This is so frustrating because I've read several bulletins about people with American passports going to Korea with no visa, and getting their f-4, while in Korea. But she said even if I go one way, they(ppl at airport) will not let me out of the airport. I'll be forced to purchase a ticket back home anyway. SO Is there a site I can fake the roundtrip and just print it out so I don't have to worry about this.

I keep calling the Houston consulate and they never answer the darn phone. So if any of you guys went to the nearby consulate in person, do they give you the f-4 visa the same day?
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyopogirlfromtexas wrote:
Yaya wrote:
jeanpark725 wrote:

SO, I went to buy a one way ticket to Korea from Austin, TX today. The agent said she cannot do that since I don't have a visa. That I can only buy the roundtrip to Korea, without a visa.

This is so frustrating because I've read several bulletins about people with American passports going to Korea with no visa, and getting their f-4, while in Korea. But she said even if I go one way, they(ppl at airport) will not let me out of the airport. I'll be forced to purchase a ticket back home anyway. SO Is there a site I can fake the roundtrip and just print it out so I don't have to worry about this.

I keep calling the Houston consulate and they never answer the darn phone. So if any of you guys went to the nearby consulate in person, do they give you the f-4 visa the same day?

If you have a U.S. passport, you do get a one-month stay in Korea visa free. I returned to Seoul in 2005 and got a one-month stamp AT NO CHARGE. Just make sure you qualify for the F-4 visa (you have to have been born in Korea). It takes about one week to process the F-4 visa, and renewal comes every two years, BUT renewal is done right there.
gyopogirlfromtexas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Yaya wrote:
jeanpark725 wrote:

If you have a U.S. passport, you do get a one-month stay in Korea visa free. I returned to Seoul in 2005 and got a one-month stamp AT NO CHARGE. Just make sure you qualify for the F-4 visa (you have to have been born in Korea). It takes about one week to process the F-4 visa, and renewal comes every two years, BUT renewal is done right there.

Thanks, that's what I was told 30 day visa free, but I have to show proof of roundtrip ticket or I wouldn't be let off the airport. So this roundtrip thing is driving me crazy now. Where I can buy a refundable one or how I can fake it. Seems like some ppl don't get asked and some ppl do. I hope I fall in that category where ppl don't ask to see it. But I should at least make a real looking copy or buy one , print it and cancel. I'm just worried about being sent back or being forced to buy a ticket home for the future before they let me out of the airport
gyopogirlfromtexas

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you arrive on a one way ticket?
Toon Army

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Yaya wrote:
jeanpark725 wrote:

If you have a U.S. passport, you do get a one-month stay in Korea visa free. I returned to Seoul in 2005 and got a one-month stamp AT NO CHARGE. Just make sure you qualify for the F-4 visa (you have to have been born in Korea).

Incorrect
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So please correct me if I am incorrect. I've had the F-4 visa since 1999. I stayed in Korea until 2003 and returned in 2005. When I returned in 2005, I had no entry visa to Korea and a ONE-WAY ticket to Incheon. I got 30 days since I am a U.S. citizen and then promptly went to immigration to get my F-4.
Lateralus

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaya - i think the information that was incorrect is you don't have to be born in korea, just be of korean heritage living in the u.s. or canada.

gyopogirlfromtexas- they don't always check for a round trip ticket with an automatic 30 day visa, but they are supposed to. not sure you can get around that but, i've been in and out of korea traveling maybe half a dozen times in the last year and they've never asked for anything but my passport when i go through immigration, even before i got my visa. but on my arrival to korea, i did have a round trip ticket and basically threw away the return ticket, better safe than sorry, up to you if you want to gamble.

on a side note, hey, i'm a gyopo boy from austin, texas! while i do love it here in korea, i do miss a lot of things about austin, from running around like an idiot on 6th and downtown to the great austin food (i miss trudy's and salt lick T_T). and on that note, eat lots of tex-mex before you get here, gonna be awhile before you have it again.
gyopogirlfromtexas

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this visa thing ticks me off, but I wanna come just one way. Without having to go to Houston and wait forever for a visa. I'm thikning of buying a one way, printing it. Buying a way back home to tx, print it, click back , and cancel. But I haven't been able to find a site that lets me have refundable airfare. I hope there is some outthere. Will they just "look" at it, or will they actually look up the ticket number and track it to see it's a rea l ticket?

I'm kinda sick of Texas. It's great and everything, but I've been here forever since the 80's. I just need to go somewhere and travel for a year. Korea will be good for that. I am going to miss Barton Springs, the natural swimming areas and the Zilker Botanical Garden. I love seeing roses everywhere. I am not too crazy about Mexican food anyways. I am mostly worried about steak and country fried steak, bulgogi and stuff and the crazy Korean beef prices. I'm so going to miss red meat.
jaronh

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid question? Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
thesphinxxx wrote:
OK, I am sure this is a stupid question but, can a Caucasian(white) Canadian citizen get an e-4 visa?

The visa in question is F-4 and NO, you cannot get one if you're not ethnically Korean, though bircials can get one IF they were born in Korea.

If the question was stupid, why did you ask it? DUH!

This is not correct. According to the immigration website, mixed-race (or biracial/multiracial) Koreans are eligible for an F-4 as "Foreign Nationality Koreans" if

"One side of the parents or grandparents who once possessed Korean nationality, who have attained foreign nationalities (the Presidential Decree of the Overseas Koreans Law Article 3-2)" Go here for full text: http://www.g4f.go.kr/pt/InfoDetailR_en.pt?userId=&userPasswd=&bbsGbCd=&bbsSeq=&ntccttSeq=&pageCode=list&sAreaCd=&userID=&langCd=&pollSeq=&categoryId=2&parentId=371&showMenuId=371&isEntry=true&locale=en

You don't need to be born in Korea. Note, however, that you will also need an updated hojok (family registry), birth certificate, any name change documentation, passport, etc. It's also my experience (I applied for an F-4 as a mixed-race Korean-American) that immigration officials don't run into too many of us and may not be fully informed about the criteria... that said, who knew they'd claim us?! Wink
Lateralus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this visa thing ticks me off, but I wanna come just one way. Without having to go to Houston and wait forever for a visa. I'm thikning of buying a one way, printing it. Buying a way back home to tx, print it, click back , and cancel. But I haven't been able to find a site that lets me have refundable airfare. I hope there is some outthere. Will they just "look" at it, or will they actually look up the ticket number and track it to see it's a rea l ticket?

I'm kinda sick of Texas. It's great and everything, but I've been here forever since the 80's. I just need to go somewhere and travel for a year. Korea will be good for that. I am going to miss Barton Springs, the natural swimming areas and the Zilker Botanical Garden. I love seeing roses everywhere. I am not too crazy about Mexican food anyways. I am mostly worried about steak and country fried steak, bulgogi and stuff and the crazy Korean beef prices. I'm so going to miss red meat.

red meat really isn't that much and there are so many steak places out here. compared to U.S. prices, yes it's much more, but not really unreasonable in my opinion. country fried steak...different story, don't think i've seen it really in Korea. i eat red meat on a regular basis, almost daily, they have the same cuts as you would find anywhere in TX. Pretty much anything you can get in the states, you can get in Korea, great quality too, except for Mexican, the few Mexican places out here are shite.
jeanpark725

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, I was able to get my F-4 visa in a day in America. Now I need a F-4 visa id which has a photo and a foreigner's registration number. Anyone know how to do this? I hear all I have to do is go to some office, and present my visa and they will make the ID. I've searched for seoul immigration office, but there is no mentioning of how and where to go for this. There are so many office branches, I just don't know which one to go to... Sad Also, do I need to bring headshots? I didn't bring any from America... -_-;
gyopogirlfromtexas

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanpark725 wrote:
Fortunately, I was able to get my F-4 visa in a day in America. Now I need a F-4 visa id which has a photo and a foreigner's registration number. Anyone know how to do this? I hear all I have to do is go to some office, and present my visa and they will make the ID. I've searched for seoul immigration office, but there is no mentioning of how and where to go for this. There are so many office branches, I just don't know which one to go to... Sad Also, do I need to bring headshots? I didn't bring any from America... -_-;

Did you go in person or mail it? Which consulate. I am thinking that maybe NY is the only ones doing them. Sine I've heard of people going to Houston to get the c something visa instead o f f-4.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanpark725 wrote:

Go to immigration in Mokdong, Seoul. To get there, get off Omokyo station on the No. 5 subway line (purple). Follow the directions to the office. You'll need the latest copy of your family register, 60,000 won (you'll need to buy revenue stamps downstairs at the snack shop), and passport sized photos (you can take them at the vending machine downstars in the shop). You should be able to get your ARC within a week.
gyopogirlfromtexas

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called the Houston consulate, they told me the f-4 takes 3 days and I had to fill out this form as well. http://www.koreahouston.org/www/download/forms/form_nationality_01.pdf

I guess to renounce my Korean citizenship. They want $45, $16.50 overnightmail prepaid envelope,another envelope with 41 cents for the renoucing Korean thing that'd arrive later(they say it takes awhile for me to come off the hojuk but they'll give me the visa in 3days anyway), hojuk dengbon, my real passport, copy of my certificate of citizenship.

What is so frustrating is that on the "application for visa," on number 8 (classification). It's all in chinese, I can't understand this. DP OF OR. WHat on earth is dp of or???? Am I supposed to circle one or what ? DId they abbreviate it??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: