Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China Visa Info Needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oaklandstroke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: China Visa Info Needed Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip to China in April and I need to secure a visa. I live in Seoul and am not sure where to access consular services at the Seoul embassy. Are visas applied for and granted at the Myongdong embassy complex? Or is consular services located in an annex or separate building? What are the hours of operation? Where exactly is consular services? What's the cost of the visa? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a visa to China?

Last November, I obtained a visa from the Chinese Embassy, which was located then on the 9th or 10th floor of the Kyobo Life Insurance building near Gwanghwamun. Perhaps it's moved since then, I can't say for sure.

The hours of operation are pretty standard, with early being best. I think it takes at least one day to get the visa processed.

For express service, the visa cost me around 60,000 won. I'm sure that if you applied earlier, the price would come down a fair bit.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Chinese visa Reply with quote

I just went to my travel agent and asked her to get a visa for me. (This was about a year and a half ago). I needed a picture and my passport and it cost about 50,000 Won. They had my passport for about 2 days---so the whole process only took about 3 days.

I don't think there is any need to go to a Consulate or Embassy. Find a good travel agent and let them do the legwork for you.
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Chinese Embassy is still in the Kyobo building. The cheapest way(about 35,000 won) is to go there yourself, in the morning, with passport, photo, and the needed form. You can get the form there, but I suggest you download the form & fill it out beforehand because that place is a ZOO. It will take about 3 business days to get the visa. You have to leave your passport with the embassy-a bit unnerving but there's no getting around it. They will give you a claim receipt to present when you return-DON'T LOSE IT! Hope this helps.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an addendum to the visa info. If you are in a mad rush- like I was, you can pay extra and get it faster. I paid 59,000 for next day, but there's also one day service.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PRC embassy is in the Kyobo Building, what is over in Myongdong?
Mosley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"what is over in Myongdong?" Lots of things, but not the PRC embassy. It moved to the Kyobo Bldg. about a year ago....
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosley wrote:
"what is over in Myongdong?" Lots of things, but not the PRC embassy. It moved to the Kyobo Bldg. about a year ago....

Thanks for the info. Do you know who/what is using the complex that formerly housed the PRC embassy in Myongdong?
Mosley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't the foggiest....
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of the situation is that the consulate offices are in the Kyobo building. That's the important part for us, people who might wanna visit. The rest of the stuff the embassy does is still handled in Myeong dong. If I'm wrong, blame it on the translator ( the website is all in Korean)
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a point for travellers. The Russian Embassy also moved over to the west side of downtown a little over a year ago from its old location in the COEX area.
michaelmichael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get my one day visa today at the Chinese consulate, but they no longer allow individuals to apply for a visa. You must go through your travel agent. It also says that a travel agent cannot charge more than 20k over the price of the visa for the service they provide. just and fyi if you are trying to get the visa on your own. If you already have a ticket and no visa, you can go to a travel agent and request them to get a visa for you, again the 20k fee cap applies. I know the USO travel agency will do this for you.
Carla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I went to China from Korea was about 4 years ago, so this may be completely useless, but all plans were made at the last minute (for the ferry) and I was able to get my visa in a few hours. I could be the puppy eyes, but the clerk was a girl, so I doubt that was it. Maybe just because I was nice. Smile
jhuntingtonus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering taking the TEFL International four-week certification course in either Thailand or China. Do I need a prearranged, prepaid visa of some sort to get into China to take the course, or to get into China at all? Does an airport entry into Hong Kong complicate that at all? I have heard that Thailand is easier - can I just fly into Bangkok, and upon showing an airline ticket out, be able to stay there for 30 days... or do I need to prearrange a visa there?

I am now in the USA, where I have lived until now. No criminal records or unusual visa problems, just don't want the hassle, expense, and uncertainty of not knowing how long it will take (I want to fly out of the US, to the course, 5 February).
seoulteacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhuntingtonus wrote:
I am considering taking the TEFL International four-week certification course in either Thailand or China. Do I need a prearranged, prepaid visa of some sort to get into China to take the course, or to get into China at all? Does an airport entry into Hong Kong complicate that at all? I have heard that Thailand is easier - can I just fly into Bangkok, and upon showing an airline ticket out, be able to stay there for 30 days... or do I need to prearrange a visa there?

I am now in the USA, where I have lived until now. No criminal records or unusual visa problems, just don't want the hassle, expense, and uncertainty of not knowing how long it will take (I want to fly out of the US, to the course, 5 February).

CERTIFICATES

Why the TEFL International course, when the CELTA takes just as long (4 weeks) and is widely recognized as being at the top of EFL certificates?

Among many countries, the CELTA is available

a) in Vietnam
- this seems to be quite the package: they'll meet you at the airport, arrange accommodation, plus offers grads a job afterward - & their website is A-1: has lots of photos, info on living in V/Nam, etc...
and I've heard that the school, ILA comes well recommended:
http://www.discovereltvietnam.com/page.php?p=186

- the 2009 course schedule and fees (US $ 1500, less $100 early booking disc): http://www.discovereltvietnam.com/page.php?p=361

and
b) in Thailand (incldg Bangkok) - see: http://www.eccthai.com/

No, I don't get a commission: its just that with CELTA you're getting wider recognition, etc.

VISAS
Thailand: I get my visa at the airport on arrival in Thailand, good for 30 days (if I remember correctly) - no probs.
China: I'm looking into getting one now, either in Hong Kong (which does not require pre-arranged entry visas for Canadians) or in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: