Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good kindy books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: good kindy books Reply with quote

I'm currently suffering my way through what must be the worst textbooks for teaching korean kids english. Activity books designed for american kids to do at home. Before the school makes the same mistake again, can anyone recommend any good textbooks for the littlies (korean age 5 - 7).

I had a bit of experience with the lets go starter which I thought was good, but for some reason the director didn't like. So does anyone have any recommendations for good kindy text books?

ClG
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Mr Bugs Phonics 1 which was easy to teach and the kids seemed to enjoy it (except the stories are too long for them to pay attention). Mr Bugs Phonics 2 sux big time as it's much too hard for the young kids to get their heads around.

Mr Bugs teaches the alphabet, in order. It has stickers, alphabet recognition, new vocabularly, a song and other activities for each unit... I think it teaches 3 letters per unit - caps and lowercase.

I also supplemented it with stuff off Bogglesworld (the writing sheets) and also from First School

I've moved on to other books since - Scholastic Phonics A and Lets Go 1, but I'm going to go back to the First School site to get some more stuff because most of them haven't got their alphabet down yet.... the know the first 10 letters or so, the last few, but the stuff in the middle gets them every time.
Toby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake Up are quite a good series. We have just started using them, on recommendation and thus far they are enjoyable to teach. They have a workbook and tape for each of the 12 students' books.

Good ABC book - All Aboard.

Good Phonics book - Modern Curriculum Press levels K,A,B and C.

Good Reading books - School House - combining phonetic sounds in their early books.
marcy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supertots has been my favourite bood so far, it has lots of ideas, stickers, activities, and the kids love it...
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im enjoying Magic Time series for my kids who are 6 years old. Its essential to have the tapes tho.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: I created Reply with quote

I created my own suppliment for my class, which the kids are working through right now. I took fifty photos and combined them into a Powerpoint Presentation -- five different groups of ten words.

Each week, my students work on 10 words from the list. Each of them also has a little thermometer-style chart that we add a sticker to for each of "group of 10" they memorize. We test every Friday, and so far, about 90% of the students pass every week (on the 3rd week now). I am proud of them, because most of them didn't know many words from the list.

In the Powerpoint Presentation, the students watch and click on the photos to hear them in English (my voice). I gave them all a mini-CD decorated with a logo and designs, and the parents went ape over it. Luckily, my school is full of well-off families that have computers, and parents who often know some (or good) English.

It has gone so well, I am thinking of marketing my idea.
RedRob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Derrek, you seem to make such an effort, and you STill get shafted every second time I see you post! WTF?
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the school I'm at seems to be treating me pretty good. I'm very happy being there.

And I'm surrounded by tons of beautiful coworkers.... oops.. maybe it's hell. I can't date them! *laugh*

But seriously, the school is very nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: