Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to eat some good raw fish in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swiss James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: I want to eat some good raw fish in Seoul Reply with quote

anyone got any hints about where to go?

The plan so far is to head to that Noryangjin fish market where I hear there are a few restaurants, taking a korean friend with me since I currently know the korean names for exactly 1 fish.
indytrucks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noryangjin is bang on. Loads of restaurants, loads to choose from.

I will say this ... EVERY SINGLE Korean person I know advises against eating raw fish in the summer. They reckon the chances of getting sick are higher than in the colder months. Seeing as wifey's sister is a parasitologist, and told me of all the wonderful creeepy crawlies you can get from raw fish, I'm going to go with the Koreans on this one.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well it's a good point, however I'm rock hard/a bit stupid so I'm going to risk it.
The Great Toad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Great Toad on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate Sassimi in Seokcho at the weekend.

It was so fresh the fins were still moving!!

A strange experience to eat something that hasn't stopped moving yet!! Mr. Green
shawner88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Han River Sushi Emporium...top quality.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this ... EVERY SINGLE Korean person I know

lives in a country where public toilets have no soap, hot water or paper towels.

Fish, schmish.
the saint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
I will say this ... EVERY SINGLE Korean person I know

lives in a country where public toilets have no soap, hot water or paper towels.

Fish, schmish.

Soap is simply hype for hygene unless it is antibacterial
To kill bacteria, hot water would have to be so hot it would take your skin off
Paper towels? How are they more hygenic than either
a) a hand drier or
b) using your own handkerchief which is yours and yours alone

Soap shmoap
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushi no-mi-ji is a great sushi joint. its right across the street from the hyundai dept store at omokgyo subway. it has the huge revolving sushi counter where you can take whatever dishes you want. pricey but massissoyo
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to wash your hands
Unfortunately, it is not good enough just to wash your hands often. You also have to wash your hands the right way. Here��s how to do it:

1. Find the towel that you will use to dry your hands. It is better to use a paper towel because germs can live in wet hand towels. If you have to touch a container or a knob to the towel out, do it before you wash your hands. Hold the towel under your arm until you need it.
  2. Wet your hands with warm water.
  3. Put soap on your hands. It is better to use a liquid soap because germs can live on wet bars of soap. Bar soap is acceptable as long as you dry it on a rack.
  4. Rub your hands together for 10 to 15 seconds. Wash longer if you can still see dirt on your hands. Make sure that you wash in between your fingers, the backs of your hands, your thumbs, and under your fingernails. (Try singing two versus of ��Row, Row, Row Your Boat�� to yourself while you rub to make sure that you are washing long enough).
  5. Rinse your hands thoroughly with warm water. Make sure that you rinse in between your fingers and under rings.
  6. Pat your hands dry. If there is a blow dryer for your hands, push the button with your elbow.
  7. Use the towel to turn off the water. If you touch the water faucet after you wash your hands, you may get germs on your fingers again.

What should I use - liquid soap, bar soap or alcohol rinse?
Bar soap and liquid soap whether antimicrobial or not are all effective in killing off organisms on your hands as long as the proper handwashing procedures are followed. See our handwashing instructions for a full explanation on handwashing technique.

1. Plain soap - Hand washing with plain soap is just as good as other methods as long as a good lather is built up and friction is used to reach all areas of the hand. If you are using plain soap try to get a soap dish that has allows the soap to drain as opposed to sitting in a pool of water. This will ensure that organisms can��t sit around in the pooled water.
  2. Liquid soap - Liquid soap is nice because it doesn��t sit in a soap dish, but you still need to lather up and create some good friction to get your hands clean.
  3. Alcohol based hand disinfectant - Hospital based hand disinfectants must have at least 60% ethyl alcohol, so if you��re looking to buy some for home make sure it has at least this amount. The handrinse is very effective in killing off organisms as long as your hands are clean. If your hands are soiled the alcohol can��t work on disinfecting your skin because the dirt is in the way. Caution is needed when lighting flames be sure your hands are dry because alcohol is flammable.

http://www.uhn.ca/patient/general/handwashing.asp

HAND DRYING: A STUDY OF BACTERIAL TYPES ASSOCIATED WITH DIFFERENT HAND DRYING METHODS AND WITH HOT AIR DRYERS

Keith Redway, Brian Knights, Zoltan Bozoky, Abigail Theobald & Sarah Hardcastle, Applied Ecology Research Group, School of Biosciences, University of Westminster, 115 New Cavendish Street, London W1M 8JS UK

January 1994 (20 pages)

SUMMARY
In a previous study (Knights et al., 1993) under naturalistic conditions, towels were found to be more efficient in drying the hands than hot air dryers, many people completing drying on clothes, etc. Microbiological studies revealed that using towels after washing reduced bacterial counts on the hands by an average of 42% (paper) and 10% (cotton). With hot air dryers, however, counts increased by more than 500%. Bacteria were blown out of dryers whenever they were running.

The present study was carried out, using standard techniques, to identify and count the bacteria associated with hand washing and drying, using the same naturalistic conditions in toilets as before. Average bacterial counts were again reduced by using towels (by about 38%), the most significant decrease (58%) being in bacteria grown on nutrient agar after using paper towels. Hot air dryers again produced significant increases in all bacteria (by more than 260%). Types typical of skin (including staphylococci and micrococci) increased by an average of 169%. Skin and gut bacterial counts rose by 438%, the largest increases being in enterobacteria and coliforms, including Escherichia coli (395%). Some types and strains of the bacteria found can be pathogenic. The increases in gut bacteria are indicative of faecal contamination of the hands.

In a further study, bacteria were isolated from swabs taken from the air flow, nozzle and air inlet of 35 hot air dryers in nine types of location (including hospitals, eating places, railway stations, public houses, colleges, shops and sports clubs). Bacteria were relatively numerous in the air flows and on the inlets of 100% of dryers sampled and in 97% of the nozzles. Staphylococci and micrococci (probably from skin and hair) were blown out of 97% of the dryers and 63% showed evidence of the potential pathogen Staphylococcus aureus. At least 6 species of gut bacteria (enterobacteria) were isolated from the air flows of 63% of dryers, indicating faecal contamination.

It is concluded that hot air dryers have the potential for depositing pathogenic bacteria onto the hands and body. Bacteria could be inhaled and are distributed into the general environment whenever dryers are running. It is recommended that the use of hot air dryers should be carefully considered on health grounds, especially in sensitive locations such as hospitals, catering establishments and food preparation areas.

http://users.wmin.ac.uk/~redwayk/research/had2.htm
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Seoulites but if you want fresh seafood go to the coast, especially the restaurants at Jalgalchi market or elsewhere in that city:

Busan

I travel about forty minutes to the port city of Tongyeong to get what Koreans have said is the best raw fish in the country.

(That said, I'm more partial to haemul tang and other seafood dishes, even with live, squirming squid in a spicy broth. Yum!)
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
I travel about forty minutes to the port city of Tongyeong to get what Koreans have said is the best raw fish in the country.

Koreans in coastal towns always say that about a nearby place to have raw fish.

Seriously, it comes out the water, gets sliced, and you eat it. It's not like you can cook it wrong. . .
Fishead soup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the Tuna buffet places. You pay a set price and you get as much as you like. These places vary in quality but overall the Dokto(named after the island) are the best. The fish is usually served dethawed
its almost impossible to get it fresh. The fish in caught in deep waters and has to be put on ice.

These places have a great atmosphere. Unlike the flatfish places its no problem going in alone. They serve all kinds of free alcoholic drinks including the tuna eyeball soju. Almost every time I've gone to one of these places it turned into a good piss up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: