Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

someone on koreanesl has way too much free time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaderedux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I used to post there.....alot. Last year Dave's was seeming a bit sterile and to be honest the "I hate Americans" club seemed to have taken over. That being said I was also a little weary of over moderation.

Then I went in a huff over to the "other" board. At first it was fun....like your first year away from home. I posted some pretty political stuff but then stepped on some toes when the conversation all started to turn to the age old subject of poontang...where is it? where can I get some? K girls are all easy! Western women are fat feminazis....blah blah blah. To be honest I responded mostly in a sarcastic manner but then got blasted and some of the comments were so rank....so I blew a gasket and answered in kind....believe me it got ugly. Even when I was nice and Mr. Rogers syrupy (is that a word?). It got nasty.

Anyway......I found that I was ticked off all the time....and wondering if there were any normal people left. After an attempted spamming...veiled threats.....not so veiled comments about my sexuality, weight, age, job, education....I gave up on the place.

I find it sad because I think the guy who started it started the board with good intentions. I think there is a place for unfettered, uncensored dialogue. However, there is such a thing as uncensored and just plain mean, foul, and disgusting.

I emailed the webmaster a few times before giving up. He is articulate nice guy but I honestly believe this thing is just out of his control now. I read it once in awhile and mostly I am shocked at how obessed they are about this board. It is bordering on unnatural. It is sort of sad. I mean there are knuckleheads everywhere and usually I don't mind in fact I can be one if the situation arises. What I find abhorent is the foul nature of the conversation. Sad for the webmaster. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.....(I think I heard that little gem in a movie)

I was sorry to see I did not make the most hated "chick" on Dave's..... I guess I don't try hard enough.

Anyhooooooo......my two cents. Maybe this will put me on the list. Rolling Eyes

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saharzie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, Daves is great .Their site is bad. Everyone here is morally superior.
Get over yourselves..so the site is crap. Big deal. You are giving out about them talking about you. Yet here you are talking about them talking about you. You accuse then of having no life because they are posting about users of another web board, but some of you are obviously checking their site to see if you got a mention. You are all as bad as eachother Smile
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saharzie, I'm dubbing you forum moron, and intend to dog every one of your posts till you start to make more sense than a twelve year old. And then, if you ever do happen to post anything that is worthy of a serious reply I will rip you to shreds with a single swipe of my razor sharp claws ( in my sleep and with one hand tied behind my back ).

As a civilian poster you would be merely annoying, but as someone who claims to write journalism you are an embarrassment to yourself, and an insult to the profession. [/quote]
wormholes101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
saharzie, I'm dubbing you forum moron, and intend to dog every one of your posts till you start to make more sense than a twelve year old. And then, if you ever do happen to post anything that is worthy of a serious reply I will rip you to shreds with a single swipe of my razor sharp claws ( in my sleep and with one hand tied behind my back ).

As a civilian poster you would be merely annoying, but as someone who claims to write journalism you are an embarrassment to yourself, and an insult to the profession.

Hear hear!!
saharzie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn....................
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yawn....................

Same to you big boy, and that's half the problem.
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 and saharzie,

knock it off please.

CM
jaderedux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeh, Daves is great .Their site is bad. Everyone here is morally superior.
Get over yourselves..so the site is crap. Big deal. You are giving out about them talking about you. Yet here you are talking about them talking about you. You accuse then of having no life because they are posting about users of another web board, but some of you are obviously checking their site to see if you got a mention. You are all as bad as eachother

While you have a point I guess I was trying to make a point (perhaps unsuccessfully) that moderation is not the end of the world. I am one of the crankiest, militant defenders of free speech. What I wanted to point out was that it is sad such good motives are spoiled by some with with brains the that could rattle like a beebee in a box car.

The site has generated some discussions about moderation. What is acceptable in this arena. There are alot of disagreements here about it too. But at least the disagreements are kept reasonably civil.

I think what people here are trying to understand is why the peculiar obession with THIS board and Dave Sperling. And btw I don't dislike anyone on that board.....I don't know them....I never met them hence I have no judgement of them other than their writing which ranges from juvenile, purile, sad and sometimes threatening. There are a couple of decent ravers on that board but they are frequently "shouted" down by the folks that want to talk about um....other subjects..shall we say.

Someone posted a reward for a picture of one of the mods here. Same for a picture of one of the mods dogs, dead no less. I too visit the site. Sad to say I am like most people. It is like passing a horrific train wreck. You shouldn't look but you can't help watching for a moment.

There is nothing wrong with the discussing the board. Should we become obsessed by it...NO...should we lose any sleep over it.....should we spend every day of every week scanning it and posting about ....no. I think this is just a subject we have all skittered close too but never discussed. I don't think discussing it makes us act or feel morally superior. I just think it was an issue that was ripe for discussion.

Jade (shakes off the serious mantle as it is NO DAMN FUN)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I quite like the mods and the fact it has that over this board.

I feel for the most part we can get away with saying quite a bit as long as its not 'name-calling' which is pretty much exactly what I want.

Sometimes I go a forum like this about Brazil.. on the www.brazzil.com website.. actually its set up alot like this.. but no mod control.. you just have to read post after post after post of name-calling to find something remotely of interest.. and therefore I don't go there too much..
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my first trip to the fabled Koreanesl..now I feel I need a decontamination shower....
Its not much really, just random spleen venting...
just because

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was hilarious. What a bunch of idiots. Just don't take it seriously. You've lived in Korea long enough to know to let most things some people say slip over your head. Just the same for these people. I might go over there for a laugh every now and then.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could go moron-baiting for a laugh, see how many we could reel in.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
We could go moron-baiting for a laugh, see how many we could reel in.

I occasionally visit there to remind them that I rule their asses while rarely posting, and every time they post about me, they prove me right. Look at Big Bill's weekly, "I hate Beckerson" postings. Do you guys know that he and a couple of others read here and my board just to find out what I posted recently about my life? They're probably my blog's most regular readers.

At least here I need to put in some small effort to rule your asses.

As for the webmaster there, I dont think he's a bad guy. I think he's so desperate to take this place on that he's willing to let his board look like a complete moron factory just to get the hits.

Last edited by William Beckerson on Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:12 am; edited 2 times in total
just because

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went over there to have some fun. You know I love this site but i think i'm going to have some fun stirring those guys up on their site too. What a bunch of retards. Smile
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I occasionally visit there to remind them that I rule their asses while rarely posting

All well and good, but I hope you don't consider it a major acheivement to rule their hapless behinds, they make down syndrome suffers look like fullbright scholars.

I hope they do read this board sometimes, just so they can choke on my genius and be reminded life as an amoeba is not the only option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: