Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macquarie distance MA students?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you interested in joining/creating a group of Macquarie distance students?
yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
no
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Macquarie distance MA students? Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in getting together to talk about our classes? I'm sure everyone is aware that actually talking your ideas out, helps to solidify your knowledge into a form that is easier to express. i think that this would help all of us prepare and write better essays.

We could also pool our knowledge/resources about each individual unit. If there are enough people interested we could even set up our own website or yahoo group. Possible even get Dave Sperling to set us up a usergroup with a hidden forum taht only memebers of the group could see, where could talk about which units are particularly difficult and clarify points of interest amongst ourselves.

If there are enough of us in one city, we could even arrange face to face meetings.

*edit* it doesn't have to be Macquarie specific. If other University distance MA's are interested we could turn it into a general linguistics discussion group.

KK
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great KK. I'm about to send off my application for MQ MAPLing. If it goes ahead, would your idea cater for those starting off in 2004, or were you thinking about continuing students? Whichever way it goes it will be a useful way to keep the content, the new language and terminology fresh. Count me in Very Happy
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would be for anyone now row or in the future. Also it would be a great place for potential students to inquire about concerns they may have.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Of course, we already spend a whole of time doing that anyway, but formal it up and it would be possible to learn more.
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimchee:

I have a question about libraries in Seoul.

First, is it possible to gain access to university libraries if your not a student?

Second, if I were to get a teaching job at a University in Seoul, do the English Departments have a lot of journals/resources?

Would the university library have a lot of sources/journals pertaining to Linguistics/Applied Linguistics and EFL/ESL?

I know all schools are different but are there certain schools carry descent sources for EFL instructors?

Right now, in Taipei, I'm using National Taiwan University and they have everything I need here - huge selection of English textbooks and journals, free internet access, etc.

I have to check into the library with my ARC and I can't sign anything out but I just photocopy what I need.

Thks.
Chillin' Villain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't really posted here all that much, but I've just started the MA TESL/TEFL with Birmingham, and would kinda like to get together and discuss some of the stuff I'm studying. I reckon I should try to find some other Birmingham students as well, but I'm sure a lot of the topics are similar- so, if anything starts up, I'm totally interested!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:

First, is it possible to gain access to university libraries if your not a student?

nope, you must be a student or faculty at whichever university that you want to access the library. This is one of the reasons I'm looking ot change universities - my school has shitty linguitstics resources

Quote:
Second, if I were to get a teaching job at a University in Seoul, do the English Departments have a lot of journals/resources?

Would the university library have a lot of sources/journals pertaining to Linguistics/Applied Linguistics and EFL/ESL?

depends on the university
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was accepted into the Macquarie MA program last spring, but never actually signed up for any courses. Don't know where I stand with them at the moment.

Still, I might be in, if I get my *pre-emptive beep* together.
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to apply next month. I'd be very interested in joining a group like this if I remain in Korea. I'm looking into some jobs in other countries....... Of course things could be discussed over the net anyhow.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Don't count on too much participation from me, though. Too busy playing the song titles game and baiting Americans.
Zed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not so sure now since none of the MacQuarie students that I PMed have responded to my PM. How much interaction could I really expect?

Is it possible that my PM function isn't working as I expect it to?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Well, I'm not so sure now since none of the MacQuarie students that I PMed have responded to my PM. How much interaction could I really expect?

Is it possible that my PM function isn't working as I expect it to?

due to low response I too have given up. If anyone is really interested (in SEoul) then pm and hopefully we can get together for coffee. Myself and the_beaver live very close and already spend a fair amount of time talking about teaching and linguistics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: