Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dutch passport question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dumass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Dutch passport question Reply with quote

Hello, hows it going.

My name is Michael, I�m 19 and am currently in my final year at Uni in New Zealand completing a degree in Computer science and software engineering.

In December I am going to work in the USA for 4 months at a ski resort on a 4-month Student work visa. Then in April (after returning to NZ) I will be looking for a job possibly in Korea teaching English.

My question is:

I have been born in NZ, and lived here all my life, but my parents immigrated from Holland 5 years before I was born, so like them I have a dutch passport.

Do you guys think this would be a problem trying to get a job in korea?

I am a NZer, and speak better english than I do dutch. I can get a NZ passport, but this will take a while, and cost bling, so I would rather travel on my dutch passport.

I have received afew conflicting answers on this and was just wondering what you thoughts are..

Will my dutch passport be a problem getting a Job?

Thanks guys Smile
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your passport must be from an country that Korea allows English speakers to be from. As such, you'll need the NZ passport.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea will only issue e2 visas (which is the one you need) to passport holders from the following countries: United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa.

If you were born in New Zealand you will qualify for a New Zealand passport. As a new Zealander you can hold two passports. It's really not that expensive or hard to get in the grand scheme of things. You need a birth certificate ($20), some photos ($10) and the passport fee $70 and it doesn't take that long about 3-4 weeks. So quit your whining and go here and get it sorted out.

CLG
dumass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys (and crazy lemon girl).

The reason I also asked because If there is a disaster (war, terror, whatever), and I am there on my dutch passport, Holland would be more inclined to help me get out.

Remember the bali bombings & Fiji coo(sp?)?? It cost anyone from new zealand $6,000 if they wanted to get evacuated, where every other country got their citizens out no questions.

Second questions then: Can I bring my dutch passport with me?/ enter the country with 2 passports?
qwunk89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U have a Dutch Passport and you want to come to korea Shocked ; I'll trade ya Very Happy
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:
Korea will only issue e2 visas (which is the one you need) to passport holders from the following countries: United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa.

Lol, not a fan of England, are ya... Wink
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoultrader wrote:

Lol, not a fan of England, are ya... Wink

Whoops I new I left one out, just a damn shame it was the country where the language comes from. Apologies to the english (I blame my scottish, irish and spanish ancestry for my hatered of them Wink )

Quote:

The reason I also asked because If there is a disaster (war, terror, whatever), and I am there on my dutch passport, Holland would be more inclined to help me get out.

Not necessarily, I have one word for you: Srebrenica.

Quote:

Remember the bali bombings & Fiji coo(sp?)?? It cost anyone from new zealand $6,000 if they wanted to get evacuated, where every other country got their citizens out no questions.

What you need is travel insurance my friend. There are still some polcies in New Zealand will cover you in the event of war (although after 9/11 there a bit thing on the ground.
Quote:

Second questions then: Can I bring my dutch passport with me?/ enter the country with 2 passports?

You need to get your e2 stamped in your kiwi passport but it's not like immigration is going to be checking your bag for the second passport. You may want to leave the dutch one in safe keeping of your parents while your here as if you lose your passport when travelling it's good to have a second piece of legit ID that can register mailed to you.

I actually left my kiwi passport (I'm a Kiwi/Canadian) with my parents for that purpose but my mother in her infinite wisdom threw it out. So maybe leave it with someone that you trust with your other important documents for you while your away. Of course if your off to europe after that there's not much point.

CLG
dumass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

Qwunk99: why would you want to trade?? (?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: