Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should I be offended by this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
Political correctness comes from an effort to deal with the blatant racism and sexism in the United States, which is a laudable goal. Unfortunately it has gotten bureaucratized and codified out of recognition at times. That does not mean that we should return to the good old days of the good ol boys. I think this is where the anti-P.C. movement wants to go- back to the time, as Ronald Reagan once said, 'when there was'nt racism in the U.S.', the great 1950's when racism was ignored and polite society chose not to speak of it.

Nice writing, desultude. Well put. I have nothing to add, just wanted to copy and paste it for a second time around because it deserves to be read by those who may have missed it the first time.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd consider myself to be somewhat anti- PC. Don't flame me yet!

I think that all the fuss over finding a polite title for various groups of people serves as a distraction from dealing with the real problems of how to peacefully coexist as individuals rather than groups.

All of the debate on this thread over weather "blacky", "whitey", "darky" is more offensive, does nothing to answer the OP's question. Of course that statment was stunningly rude.

My question is why there are people who have to ask if something like that is offensive? Same thing with the "guys are animals" thread. The guy described in that original post was behaving like jackass, wether it was rape or not. Shouldn't it be obvious what is and isn't offensive, and isn't that highly personal anyway?

Okay, I'm done with the soapbox now. Smile
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep concentraing on the OP's final statement then you are buying into what they wanted to happen.
Answer the original statement and disregard the "whitey" bait.
rapier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to agree with tancred. Knock the obnoxious beehatch's brains out. A little rage and out of control anger is good for a person sometimes, at least once every 2 years. (which is about my average).
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The chick sounds like a CUNY LibArts grad (and for those mods about to get all huffy, CUNY is the abbreviation for City University of New York...although the chick most definitely is the other one as well...)

2. As a proud cracka/gook, I think y'all niggas need to chill with this racial oversensitivity. Listen to some Chris Rock, George Carlin and have a beer.
xat552000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: well! Reply with quote

well! I didn't expect this much feedback, though I do appreciate it. By the way, can someone tell me what OP means?

I haven't read all the messages in detail, but I read more than once that the fact that these people were white shouldn't have mattered or shouldn't have been pointed out. In a perfect world, that's probably the correct thinking. However, this is not a perfect world and in my experience growing up in the states and having been around quite a few white people, whether friends, girlfriends, employers, teachers, etc., I have found that white people have been the ones (more than other groups) to point out one's ethnicity in describing someone's behavior when the person wasn't white (example: american scientist who happens to be of chinese ancestry arrested for allegedly passing on secrets to the Chinese government.) A white person would be more likely (in my experience/observation) to point out that the guy here was of chinese ancestry and that therefore there had to have been a sinister element involved here even though in many respects his heritage was irrelevant.

Further, the fact of the matter was that the maker of these ignorant comments was a white-american woman. That is an undisputed fact. Perhaps if you see the "racial" aspect of this statement, you are the one who is a bit too sensitive.

I asked the question of whether I should be offended by this because the lady I'm talking about turned out to actually be a pretty nice person who happened to have stuck her big-ass foot in her mouth in this one instance. In other words, I could tell that her stating these inelegant statements was a result of ignorance rather than racism. However, that doesn't excuse the fact that she was so retarded in the way she conveyed her thoughts.

I personally was offended, furious in fact, but wanting to be civil I didn't say anything at that time. I will likely never see this person again and therefore I will never get my "revenge." However, knowing that many white people interested in Korea troll this site, I thought it would actually be educational. It seems to me that those interested in Korea or Asia for that matter understand the "white american's" perspective and the "Asian" perspective, but not necessarily the "asian american's" perspective in this whole thing. Hopefully, my message shed some light on that.

Also, the "whitey" slur at the end was a typo. So, there was no racial animus intended. If there was anyone offended, I apologize for that.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Further, the fact of the matter was that the maker of these ignorant comments was a white-american woman. That is an undisputed fact. Perhaps if you see the "racial" aspect of this statement, you are the one who is a bit too sensitive.

Well.....

I think the reason people saw a racial aspect to it was that you chose to mention the woman's race. Look, someone got raked over the coals on another thread for mentioning the races of some characters in his student-teacher sex yarn. I don't think you should expect any less lenient treatment.

But I agree with the posters who said that calling someone "whitey" is no big deal. In exchange for being the dominant ethnic group of the entire friggin world, the sons and daughters of Europe can surely be expected to endure the odd epithet.

Last edited by On the other hand on Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: well! Reply with quote

xat552000 wrote:
I personally was offended, furious in fact, but wanting to be civil I didn't say anything at that time. I will likely never see this person again and therefore I will never get my "revenge."

I can't even begin to count the number of times people have made extremely stupid and or racist comments to me personally. If you had only one in your life, and a pretty minor one at that, I think you are doing pretty good.

xat552000 wrote:
I have found that white people have been the ones (more than other groups) to point out one's ethnicity in describing someone's behavior when the person wasn't white

I've lived in way too many 'gentrified neighborhoods' as well.. and heard every list of every stereotype you can imagine placed on me because of my 'white-ness'. If you think its only white people maybe you need to expose yourself to other ethnicities besides only white.

Last edited by Tiger Beer on Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: well! Reply with quote

xat552000 wrote:
well! I didn't expect this much feedback, though I do appreciate it. By the way, can someone tell me what OP means?

OP means 'original poster', i.e. you in this case.

It seems to me the woman making the comment was rude and unthinking to have criticised your parents but I don't see any need to read racism into it the way so many posters have.

I can see how, ideally, it would be nice to raise kids bilingual if one has the chance to do so but it's probably not simple and depends on both kids and parents...

Matt
Drakoi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: should I be offended by this? Reply with quote

xat552000 wrote:
I am a kyopo who speaks very little korean. I recently met two middle-aged white american english teachers. The wife asked me if I could speak korean and then interrogated me as to why I couldn't since she had already deduced that I was a korean-american (from my appearance). When I told her that my parents had encouraged me to embrace american culture even if that meant that I would forget my "native" tongue, she reacted "that was STUPID!!." For anyone curious, I was born in Korea but came to the states when I was 2.

Was this whitey offensive or not? I'd love some feedback.

Just be offended at her narrow-mindedness and lack of tact. Everyone has a different past.

Tell her that it's rude to call one's parents stupid and instead might say something like, "In retrospect it would have been beneficial to you to have knowledge of the Corean Language".

Or you could ask her why she's in Korea, and no matter what response she gives, exclaim "Well that was STUPID!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: