Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed-Race Koreans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensen wrote:
However the kids are raised, moments of great horror and embarassment Embarassed appear to be an essential element of the Korean-mom gig.

Hahahah! That really hit home. Only in Korea would you teach a grown woman the hokey pokey...
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww....a whole thread in my honor.... Laughing

Ok, here's my 2 won worth based on my own experience:

Growing up as a mutt in Korea can be awesome IF the parents are financially secure enough to enroll the kid in one of the "real" (WASC accredited) international schools - Seoul Foreign or Seoul International (and probably 1 or 2 other ones out there by now).

These provide a multiculti atmosphere with a top notch N.A. curriculum (they also offee the International Baccalaureate if the kid wants to go to a European school upon graduation). The student body of SFS (at least when I went there) was about 50% Western whitey, 30% kyopo, 10% mutts like myself, and the rest various 3rd world diplomatic corps kids. Everyone generally got along real well.

Virtually no exposure to drugs, gangs, or any other of the more serious problems that may arise in a N.A. school. Occasional bad moments with ajussis calling me "jjamppong" (Korean derogatory term for "halfbreed") not realizing I speak the language? Sure, once a year maybe on a bus, but these situations were always easily handled either with a good smack (many of "us" tend to be somewhat big Laughing ) or a verbal dress-down.

All in all, good times here. Wink

Last edited by Seoultrader on Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
peemil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my students what would happen if a foreigner and a Korean had a baby...

"Oh Teacher... Monster baby."

Hmmm...
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Fri May 09, 2008 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
u guys should in invest in the book called "what am i?" for your kids, it's a collection of life encounters by mixed ppl from all different types of mixes. it's pretty interesting and you can see that their experiences vary greatly.

got a publisher for it? or ISBN number? sounds interesting

Quote:
also i heard that there's like a town of all mixed ppl in korea...
i guess it's pretty small and kinda poor...but...yeah.
a friend of mine told me about some marches that mixed ppl do in seoul but i never knew how to find info about it...

Heard about it sometime ago. I think there was a documentary on SBS that my wife was watching and semi translating for me.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.. I just wanted to post something so I can get email notifications to keep reading and hearing experiences.. cool stuff
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Great thread.. I just wanted to post something so I can get email notifications to keep reading and hearing experiences.. cool stuff

There's a little link on the bottom left that says watch this topic if you click it, you get the email notifications. I use this often. Conversly, when you get bored with a topic you can click stop watching this topic to stop recieving email notifications.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kimcheeking.. oddly I've never noticed that function before..

Very useful
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
I see two of our heavy-wieghts will be leaving these shores. Well the board ( and I'm sure Korea in general too ) will be the worse for the loss.

I'm not gone yet.

CM
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
hmm...well i can guess that korea can be rough for ppl that are 1/2 korean, but it's not like the US is the best...cuz i have read accounts from ppl...
u guys should in invest in the book called "what am i?" for your kids, it's a collection of life encounters by mixed ppl from all different types of mixes.
it's pretty interesting and you can see that their experiences vary greatly.

also i heard that there's like a town of all mixed ppl in korea...
i guess it's pretty small and kinda poor...but...yeah.
a friend of mine told me about some marches that mixed ppl do in seoul but i never knew how to find info about it...

Hmmm. Why is it when people are relating their opinion someone always has to pop in and say, "Yeah, well. Life in the states is not better, blah blah blah." Guess what? Many of us know that, but the chances of negative experiences for mixed children are greater here in Korea.

I'll take my chances over in Canada with my family rather than stay here.

CM
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting the differences for teenagers in the West compared to Korea.

Tradionally and culturally I've been trained to think that the West is better.. but at the same time I've often cringed at the thought of ever having to raise a teenager back home.

While Korea isn't great.. at least the kids are safe and doing more or less what they are suppose to be doing.. as well as aren't those hogwans great babysitting machines?
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter spent four months in Korea last summer, as my wife had gone home to have our second daughter. I was there for the last month. My daughter was completely accepted by the kids on the street. In fact, they would come calling to see if she would come out to play.

In the parks, we met tons of kids and mothers...the kids asked polite questions to my wife and played happily with my daughter. Now, this doesn't prove that we might not have problems later on. My daughter is only 2. But we have had no bad experiences yet and will deal with them when they come. I think the benefit of our daughters knowing their extended korean family should outweigh any problems we have. But I will admit, if it does become a real problem, we will be heading home earlier than expected.

Lastly, I don't like the implication that those of us who are choosing to stay are making a poor parenting decision.
Jensen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott in HK wrote:
Lastly, I don't like the implication that those of us who are choosing to stay are making a poor parenting decision.

That's the thing about parenting decisions, most the times it could go either way...It could be the worst decision you've ever made, or it might work out really well and you don't really know until you've tried it. Just too many variables. Wish somebody would invent a crystal ball.

My wife was very concerned about living in Korea with the kids because there are so many vehicle accidents and pedestrians hit by cars in Seoul. I agreed that there was definitely more risk, but we could easily be killed in a wreck in the states too.

Something I've noticed: a lot of times people who appear to have strong negative opinions about race issues will turn out to be more decent to individuals of those disliked races than people who claim to be open-minded.

I worked with a Korean mormon guy once who thought he was very open-minded and decent. "Christ-like" in fact. He fell in love with a girl who had a mixed baby (previous marriage to a guy in the military)and asked her to marry him. He insisted the kid go back to the grandparents so it wouldn't be a social liability for him. He couldn't see how that was a racist, and just basically nasty, thing to do. She told him she'd like to marry him, but would rather live without him than live without her baby...should have seen his face. HA!
jaebea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the thing about parenting decisions, most the times it could go either way...It could be the worst decision you've ever made, or it might work out really well and you don't really know until you've tried it. Just too many variables. Wish somebody would invent a crystal ball.

Wouldn't that take the enjoyment out of parenthood?

I'm single and have had no kids, but I think that growing up with your children (figuratively speaking) is part of the process of watching them grow into adults. Learning from mistakes from both sides is what makes us human.. :)

Certainly, there are things that every parent would love to have the foresight to avoid, like accidents, drugs, crime, and pretty much every bad thing. But I think parental intervention can curb most of these bad factors early on.

Of course, it was probably a passing comment, and I'm totally blowing it out of proportion. :)

hehe

jae.
Jensen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebea wrote:
...But I think parental intervention can curb most of these bad factors early on...

I dunno...you'd hope so.

Thing with parenting is you're messing with someone else's life in a rather serious way. You want to get it right the first time.

And you're still living your own life and trying to achieve things and enjoy the last few years as you start on that rapid decline that will invariably end with you rotting away in the ground while your kids party on the last of your savings, if there is anything left after all the painful operations and diseases that accompanied your last few years. And that's if you're lucky and don't snuff it in a car wreck and leave a horde of hungry orphans.

Regarding the intervention issue: I have a basic methodology that has been effective, at least up to this point. I just mimic my German Shepard...she's protective and affectionate with the pups and when she disciplines it's timely, sharp, and over quickly. I tried reading Dr. Spock once...blah. Silvia Rimm's "Underachievement Syndrome: causes and cures" is the kind of book my dog would write if she could type...caring yet intelligent "parental intervention."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: