Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contraception in Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Contraception in Korea Reply with quote

Was an article in the newspaper about the use of contraceptives by Korean women. Seems as though "women avoid taking pills fearing sterility, discoloration of skin or getting fat. Women are not aware of the importance of contraception. Instead they think lightly of abortions and opt to have loops rather than taking pills" quoted by Hong Soo-gi (Gynecologist). I don't know what a loop is.

Women have shunned the pill largely because of ignorance and misunderstanding, according to experts.

In same article. Korean women are known to have qualms about taking birth control pills, often resorting to abortions should they find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy. About 44 percent of women between 15 and 44 have had more than one abortion.

Was a bit shocked to read that Korean women considered abortion as a viable alternative to using contraceptives, and that knowledge of other forms of contraception is so limited. Medical knowledge in most upwardly mobile countries is open and free, so how come there is so little care here for the proper protection for women. Is this another peice of confucian crap being imposed on the general population by harabogies in their ivory towers?
BTM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'loop' is an IUD or intra-uterine device. Achieves contraception by constantly irritating the the womb, thus preventing implantation of any fertilized egg.

I remember reading stats about the frequency of abortion here - quite surprisingly high, given the social stigma. There are also thousands of foetuses that are brought to term, unwanted, and once born, through into orphanages and put up for adoption, too. Adoption is still rare here (you know, that whole family bloodline thing), so they most often get adopted, if at all, by families in North America...
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me so mad. I have to pay over $20 a month at home for birth control pills and go to the doctor to get the prescription. They can just waltz in off the street and buy them for $5 over the counter. And they won't do it cause they might gain a little weight! Ignorance. You gain a lot more weight when you get pregnant.
Gord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Roark wrote:
And they won't do it cause they might gain a little weight! Ignorance. You gain a lot more weight when you get pregnant.

Birth control pills have also been linked to a an increase with certain types of cancers and are not without other drawbacks. It's not quite the magic pill that people think it is.

Curiously, IUDs never really came into style in North America, but are quite common elsewhere in the world.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i remember IUDs don't have the same success rate as the pill. that may be why it was never as popular. Maybe it is also cheaper than the pill.
MY korean gf doesn't want to use the pill because it is unnatural.
NO form of birth control is one hundred percent and your taking a gamble no matter which form you use.

Maybe there would be a less of a problem with abortions if the guys in this country were a bit more willing to wear condems and the girls were more willing to tell there boyfriends to wear them.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little research and found that IUD's are generally more effective than the pill.

Not sure about the cost, but the pill is very, very cheap here ( less than half the cost of Canada), and I suspect that because you need to see a doctor for an IUD they would be substatially more expensive up front. AS well, the pill would require less embarassment. (No insertion necessary)

Lots of my students believe that the pill is bad for them. Yes, Gord, it might lead to some cancers, but it can help prevent others, and it beats the effects of having an abortion anyway.
Interested

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulsanchris wrote:
MY korean gf doesn't want to use the pill because it is unnatural.

Years ago my doctor was discussing the pill with me and I told her I had reservations about it because it wasn't natural.

She told me that the way women are today can be considered "unnatural" and I saw her point: until recent times from puberty until menopause we were either breastfeeding or pregnant. It's only in recent times that this has changed. Think about it. You'd have only ovulated during the time you stopped breastfeeding until you got pregnant again. You'd have breastfed for ages and ages in those days too. She argued that being on the pill was probably MORE natural than ovulating every month without a break for years. In fact some cancer researchers think that ovulating every month for years and years is something of a health risk!

The pill: good for some, really bad for others. My sister developed a VERY serious condition within weeks of going on it and her doctor told her she should never use any form of the pill again (I came home one day and found her on her hands and knees, too dizzy to stand up and really really scared). Therefore I wouldn't recommend anyone just walking in off the street and buying it over the counter. Make sure you consult a doctor and get in touch as soon as you can if you develop any strange symptoms.
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was against the pill because of (and you know it's propaganda to scare young women away from promiscuity) the myths about the 'unnaturalness' and 'danger' of taking it, much to my chagrin, as I'm not fond of percy plastic. The mix of hormones these days makes nonsense of that argument, and the only real increased health risk is if the woman taking the pill is a smoker.

Recently, though, a doctor (female, and one of the few around worthy of the name) explained not only the potential health benefits of taking the pill (not including the benefit to my mental health of not reproducing), but also fact that there was a very good chance that her nasty PMS symptoms, most notably extreme pain, might well be controlled by going on the pill. Many women do so for that very reason these days in the west.

So she's on 'Mercilon' (inadvertently humorous brand name) now, which is one of the newest and mildest of the new generation of pills. I am pleased, although after years of aversion training, still terrified of doing the marriage mambo without a condom on...
rowdie3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic. My roomate and I were just discussing this as she has had bad reactions to the pill and is wondering what to do. Has anyone ever heard of the depo shot being available in Korea? Also, what is the availability of the morning after pill like should a situation arise?
Thanks for your help!
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all a girl had to do was jump up and down after sex.
justagirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did quite a bit of research on birth control and I'd like to suggest that Depro Vera is not a good choice for women. There are risks in loosing future fertility with this shot.

Quote:
I started taking depo-provera since Feb. of 2001. My last injection was in May of 2001. Since then my husband and I have been discussing having a child. We both agreed to try and conceive since I have not been on the injection for 2-3 months. I was never told by my physician about the injection and I was told that it is a form of birth control.At the time I was willing to try it since I wanted to take my time and prepare myself for a pregnancy. I also received a pamphelet on the injection and I was told by my Dr's nurse that if I had any questions just refer to the pamphelet. I was very confussed about why my doctor did not tell me any information on this shot all that Dr told me was that it would be the best thing for me right now. I also have had alot of abdominal pain, nausea and mood swings badly since I started taking this injection. I sympothize with these women regarding there problems also.I have been concerned about these problems to where I have consulted with another physician and they are testing me for any possible fertility problems that I have occured with this injection. I also would not recommend this injection to anyone. My husband and I are very concerned that this injection could have caused harm to my fertility process and caused us such grief over trying get pregnant. I hope and pray that these problems will soon end and the pain will go away so that my husband and I could one day start a family. We are so upset and angry about not having enough information from a physician to go over what effects my body could have instead of me finding out myself. My husband and I are still trying and keeping the faith that a miracle will happen. Good Luck to those who are doing the same thing. Sincerely, Christy Klien

This is just from one of the many sites I looked at. Here's a great forum for women's health:
http://forums.obgyn.net

justagirl
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best for women to both consult with their doctors and educate themselves through net research. But I don't read anything convincing in the above quote that injections cause infertility. Instead, I sense this woman is getting hyper about possibly not conceiving, though she and her husband have only been trying for 2 or 3 months. Not much solid to go on there.

Injections may well promote fertility problems, but there is nothing in that quote to support it.
Saxiif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a lot of korean women don't use pills because they live with their parents until they get married and its a lot easier to hide a very occasional abortion and a daily pill from them Confused
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what suprises me the mose about that th eop wrote is the the percentage of women that have had abortions! isn't that, like, ridicously high?
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those stats too in the Korean Herald. Would have down loaded it onto the thread, but you have to frigging paye to access material.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: