Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

international driver's liscense.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: international driver's liscense. Reply with quote

what's the skinny on getting an international driver's liscense? i've been to a couple of different websites, and they've said a couple of different things. can anyone direct me to the one i'm supposed to get if i want to drive around in europe?
thanks.

bob.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob, somewhere I have a reply to this, w/ a website that will give you the straight up.

try a keyword search for IDL AND gajackson1, & see what you come up with.

It is where I got mine from.

Regards,

G.
funplanet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was issued in Korea, you can't drive in Korea...need to get one issued outside the country..plenty of websites to check...why not get a Korean DL? it's easy, cheap and quick
blah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as an International Driver's License (IDL). Please be ware of anyone trying to sell one. It is a scam.

You are looking for an International Driver's Permit (IDP). This is a permit that must accompany a valid drive's license in order to be legal. There are many websites that will accommodate you, but many are ridiculously expensive.

I recommend finding the website of the organization within your own home country that issues them. In Canada it is the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). In the US it is AAA. Sorry, but I have no idea about other countries. It shouldn't be difficult to find out though.

For example, CAA allows you to download an application and mail it to them, along with two passport size photos, a photocopy of your Canadian DL, and (Ca)$13 (credit card or bank draft). This is a heck of a lot cheaper than the (US)$30 that some website-based services are charging.
Austin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Experience... Reply with quote

I have rented cars in Korea four different times, and I have never needed an international driver's license. Granted, I was not going to Hertz, Alamo, etc., but one of the local rental operations. I presented a major credit card, my driver's license, and my passport, and I was on my way. In fact, I have rented in other countries that never asked for an international driver's license as well.

Who is asking for this license, or are you just under the impression that it is necessary?
SeoulSearcher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: I got one Reply with quote

I grabbed one in Australia from NRMA (motor club), it cost me about US$10 and allows me to drive anywhere. It lasts for a year or until my Aussie licince expires, whichever comes first. It was also disturbingly easy to get...
sid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Korean driving license, and have been in the country for three or more years, you can get the Korean version of an international driving permit. This was straight from the horse's mouth last week.
Sophocles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know a car rental company in Seoul that doesn't require an international driver's license?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: international driver's liscense. Reply with quote

endofthewor1d wrote:
what's the skinny on getting an international driver's liscense? i've been to a couple of different websites, and they've said a couple of different things. can anyone direct me to the one i'm supposed to get if i want to drive around in europe?
thanks.

bob.

2 questions and they will make a difference in the answer.
Are you in Korea now or at home. What drivers licence do you hold?
manofwar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: about Korean driving lic Reply with quote

Anybody know where to go in ilsan? I heard I can just exchange my lic from US to a Korean lic.
SeoulFinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to go to Seoul to do this. I found this information from some obscure PDF file. ( "Living in Gyonggi Province: a practical guide for foreigners") It says that:

Quote:
Department of Motor Vehicles (test centers) in Gyeonggi Province
▶Uijeongbu Driver's License Examination Center: 847-7701
▶Yongin Driver's License Examination Center: 282-7714
▶Ansan Driver's License Examination Center: 410-3161
▶Incheon Driver's License Examination Center: 032) 818-2814 7

So, it might be easier to go to Seoul and get it done. I know that there's one near Gangnam station, but there must be others as well.

EDIT: Anyone considering living in Gyonggi Province should read the file behind the link. Now that I browsed through it, I think that it's pretty marvelous source of information!
OiGirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophocles wrote:
Does anyone know a car rental company in Seoul that doesn't require an international driver's license?

Why wouldn't you use your Korean license if you lived in Korea?
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being mean or difficult...seriously, is there a case where you could NOT rent a car with a Korean license and would need an IDP with a foreign license?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
I'm not being mean or difficult...seriously, is there a case where you could NOT rent a car with a Korean license and would need an IDP with a foreign license?

If he had a Korean licence there would be no problem renting a car in Korea. His problem lies in the fact that he does NOT have a Korean licence nor does he hold an IDP and he couldn't find a rental agency who would accept his home licence without the IDP.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool, I don't have to run out and find a place to get an IDP before I leave the US...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: