Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asians killing LPGA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer, Posco, etc... Jan Stephenson is 51 years old. Note original
post...FORMER tour pro. It aint sour grapes, she was a very successful
tour player in the 70's and 80's, Sports Illustrated covers, etc....she helped establish the ladies tour for the benefit of the current DULLARDS and half wits I cited previously. What Jan was really doing was "carrying
water" for all the current players who do not have a platform to speak out.
They see the demise of their game as it is going now... This board is
amusing. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I love that part. But there
is always knee-jerk apologists for Korea. My next post will be about
how, as much as they are desperate for it to happen, Korean movies will
NEVER succeed globally, because to experience success in the film business requires one basic commodity ALL Koreans lack: an
original spark.
Mankind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Stephenson's stats really are so pathetic, I'm amused that she thought she'd be able to make her comments without someone throwing the "sour grapes" thing at her.

THe above type of thing is what I keep seeing on this thread.

If you actually go through everything she said, you'll see that she thinks that, the tour should be 60% American, and 40% the rest of the world. She said that she herself would very likely not qualify under her own idea, but that it was best for the sport to make the changes.

It would be nice if people could read and listen as well as they bitch, moan and complain.

Her point is well taken. The money is there now, but viewership in the U.S. is slipping, and the big prize money, that the Asian players, happily take home, will start to dry up. It is in the best interest of all the players, to heed her words. Especially the robotic Asians, who nobody outside of Asia really care about. Anikka has a big world following and fan base. Can you say the same for any of those great Asian players? No. Wonder why?

HAND Smile
chrisbem1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm......Well, it seems to me that what goes around comes around. As all of these Korean players in America (or more generally abroad) are being bashed for not giving interviews to the foreign (to them) media, not donating money, I listen to many of you on this site and everyday in Korea complain about the way you are treated here and about how bad it is. If you really hate everything Korean all that much, maybe you should think about why you are still here. Also, North American players as role models are sort of a joke as well. Pick a major North American sport, and I can name you at least 3 well-known players who are completely terrible role models.
I'd also like to point out that while none of us (that I know anyway) are making millions here, I'm certainly not doing too bad. I also haven't donated a cent to any Korean charities. Seems like yet another reason to complain about something Korean to me......
JackSarang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also numerous complaints against the parents of these players, specifically the fathers.

They coach from the sidelines in Korean, which is strictly forbidden, a player can only get advice from their caddie.

Furthermore, I forget which player it was, but one of their father's actually moved a ball out of the rough for her.
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a blog of my own, because other do it much better than I ever could. Over at http://incestuousamplification.blog-city.com/ there are some interesting points and questions:

Quote:
In PGA Pro-Am events, every amateur pays tens of thousands of dollars to share a round with a pro, and the higher the profile of the pro, the higher the price. In women's golf, I would assume the cost is lower, but it's still an important cash-cow for the tour.

In exchange, the players are expected to yuk it up with the amateurs, feed their egos, tell some jokes, and generally make them feel like they've gotten their $10 or $20k worth. The satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) of the amateurs can be doubly important because they often tend to be corporate bigwigs who are also being wooed as tour sponsors, which are vital to the health of the sport.

Stephenson said that the Asian Korean players basically "say hello and goodbye," and that fact should hardly be surprising. If they rarely talk to the other players on the tour, I can only imagine how they react when they have to play with perfect (foreign) strangers. It sounds like 18 holes of uncomfortable silence, and that's hardly the route to sucking money out of sponsors.

The Korean players certainly don't have to be clowns on the course or promote the tour 24 hours a day. They do however, have an obligation to their fellow players and to the LPGA tour to make at least an effort in the public relations arena that other top players regularly take the time and effort to perform. From Stephenson's comments, not only are they not doing their fair share in comparison to what they pull out of the sport, but they're apparently not even making a minimal effort.

The PR stuff is part of the cost of being a star player, and it falls into a category of largely voluntary, but necessary activities to keep the entire tour flourishing. I'm sure that the LPGA has a marketing department which coordinates the public relations and marketing efforts of the tour as a whole, but I would also guess that a large percentage of the burden for that activity is the responsibility of the players themselves. Among the more popular and successful players, it's commonly understood that while it may be time-consuming and not always enjoyable, PR activities ensure the financial success of the tour and lay the groundwork for growth. That's why you see Annika Sorrenstam, Karrie Webb, Beth Daniel, and Julie Inkster doing hundreds of interviews, commercials, product endorsements, youth clinics, and public appearances.

And here are some qood questions:

Quote:
Are the Korean players aware of the PR responsibilities that top players have outside of those specifically mandated by the LPGA?

Do they have a sense of how vital PR is to the success of the tour as a whole?

Do they care about the success of the tour as a whole?

Has the LPGA made clear the importance of Pro-Ams and what kind of effort is expected of all players in those situations?

Do Korean players make an effort to integrate themselves, or are they content being on the outside, simply sucking money out of the LPGA without contributing much to it or its future success?

Read the whole article here:
http://incestuousamplification.blog-city.com/read/309152.htm
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Asians killing LPGA Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
Jan Stephenson, former tour professional and very attractive, intelligent
Australian, speaking for many other current women players and observers, said.. " This is probably going to get me in trouble, but the
Asians (Koreans) are killing our tour. Absolutely killing it. Their lack of
emotion, refusal to speak English when they speak English. We have two
day pro-ams (social events) where people are paying a lot of money to play with us, and (all) they say is "hello and goodbye."

She had to apologize later, PC being what it is in 2003. But she is
right on the money. The Korean golfers (Pak se ri, Grace Park, Han hee won, et al) are automotons, dry, lifeless boreasses. In addition to
Jan's comments, others have cited their refusal to donate to local charities
and the rude behavior of their parents and "handlers." Another
black eye for Koreans in the U.S.

Let's get back to this statement and let me clear one thing up for you, and Mrs Stephenson should she be reading this:

1- It is difficult to have witty banter with the ESPN 2 crews when your English ability consists of "I would like to go to the bathroom"

2- You cannot "refuse to speak English when you are speaking English". That would be a paradox and the universe would collapse in on itself.

3- Golf is, and always will be, the most boring of the "sports" to have come from the British Isles. Complaining about lack of life in golf is like wondering why the morgue is so quiet.
bugs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Korea bashing thread! Rolling Eyes

Isn't funny that the original poster, "Lawrence" prefaced his criticism of Korean golfers by stating how beautiful Jan Stevenson is? As if a beautiful golfer statement has more credance!

By the way, have you seen Jan Stevenson close in person? I have when she came to the U.S. to golf, along with much more talented Korean golfers; she looks like a woman who face resemble more like a shriveled up plune than anything else. Talk about Korean woman wearing too much make up. Embarassed These tournments I attended, Korean golfers were absolutely professional, as well as gracious in how they handled themselves. Matter of fact, there were more media attentions to the Korean golfers than Jan Stevenson.

I believe Jan Stevenson is indirectly responding to Michelle Wie, 13 year old Korean-American phenom who has been attacting national attention for her extraordinary talent, as well as her recent scuffle with an older, no-named golfer. Michelle Wie is a daughter of a University of Hawaii professor who used to caddie for her. Ever since the controversy, her father hired a professional caddie to accompany Michelle. Due to her popularity in every event she participates, she was offer to try out in several men's tournaments.

Along with

Quote:
A look at the records suggests it's just sour grapes: as of last week, Stephenson was ranked #134 on the LPGA tour. Seri Pak is #2, Grace Park is #3, Hee-won Han is #5, Candie Kung (from Taiwan) is #9. Their earnings were as follows:
Seri Pak $1,205,281
Grace Park $1,037,143
Hee-won Han $897,594
Candie Kung $621,395
Jan Stephenson: $26,477

As well as the obvious jeolousy involved, I think Jan Stevenson is just being a sour grape.

If you ever studied the history of American football, especially African-Americans having the innate(cognitive) ability to play quarterback, you'll realize a lot these types of criticisms have to do with subtle racism. Jan Stevenson probably never realized that the many of the top money earners in the women's golf tournies are Koreans. Rush the hyprocite Limbough believed Blacks were not capable of playing quarterback in the NFL. As you know, he recently exposed himself to be a racist by stating that the American media is actively promoting African-Americans to play quarterbacks in the NFL, to increase popularity to the general public; comment similar to what Jan Stevenson said.

Although the original poster, "Lawrence" intended to hid this from the audience here, due to the popularity of Korean bashing topics at Dave's CAFE, I truely sense some suble racist attempt by him. However, it didn't work with me. If you despise everything related to "Korea" why do you hang around Korean ESL forum? I understand that maybe once in a while, some disgruntle ESL teacher might want to rant, but this is just too much and too obvious. You must really sleep well at night.

Oh well, I'm done ranting. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by bugs on Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women's pro sports are suffering in general. The Women's Soccer League stopping operations is a primary example. In the sports world, when the economy starts sputtering, women are usually the first ones to take the hit. Also, I think the LPGA is trying to increase their exposure in Asia, especially China. So, it is in their interest to have more asian golfers.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
Women's pro sports are suffering in general. The Women's Soccer League stopping operations is a primary example. In the sports world, when the economy starts sputtering, women are usually the first ones to take the hit. Also, I think the LPGA is trying to increase their exposure in Asia, especially China. So, it is in their interest to have more asian golfers.

Exactly. If anything, these Korean sensations are saving the LPGA.
bugs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I think the LPGA is trying to increase their exposure in Asia, especially China. So, it is in their interest to have more asian golfers.

What are you saying? So it's not based on their talent but LPGA's attempt to attract Asian attention?

Do you know how many major LPGA as well as the minor tournaments are being played in the U.S. alone? The the lack of popularity is not the reason why the LPGA is seeking and having Korean golfers in their tournaments; they are already popular due to their talent and money earnings. Maybe Korean golfers' talents have to be the reason why they are popular among the U.S. media. Maybe their talent is allowing to be in the top ten money earners in the U.S. Maybe these two reasons are the REAL reason why LPGA is seeking out Asian market, and why Jan Stevenson is being a sour grape?

China? What are you talking about? Can you name any Chinese golfers? The top money earners among Asians are mostly Koreans, Japanese, and Americans of Asian decent.
seanie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd just like to say that this is the most unneccessary post i've ever read...those girls can do exactly as the wish and should not be made to conform to some ideal for the better promotion of a or b...more power to them..maybe the people who want to have a round of golf could go and learn korean and see if theyd like to chat then..
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just like to say that my last post, which covered pretty much all these bases from a golf insider was completely ignored.
KoreanLifer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember reading the Vancouver Sun this summer about the Bank of Montreal LPGA event in town that weekend and the local media were highly critical of the Korean players; especially Grace park and Park se Ri.they completely blew off press conferences after their rounds(grace park was sitting at #2 that day).i agree that that Sponsers pay big $$$ to the LPGA and want their players to be accessible to the media and everyone.

i think a lot of these Pro athletes that make it big time in U.S are folks with attitude problems.look at the Red sox Kim byung hoon giving the Fenway park faithful the "Middle finger".he is left off the ALCS roster and is riding the pine now.id say he will be gone from Boston next year also.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence,

Who is being an apologist?
Most responses on here were targeted at the LPGA and the comments made by Stephenson about the asian players on the tour. No one was "defending" Korean. Most were putting stephenson's comments in perspective and showing that they seemed rather baseless.
In the end, who cares if the asian players are a bit distant. They come there to compete and hopefully to win Lawrence, not to do Public Relations or be friend other players on the tour.
Also to note Lawrence, this is just one over the hill golfer making this comment, didn't here much from current top female players. It is also not said how the asian players get along with their main competitors behind closed doors. Perhaps they don't care about the media and being chummy.
Finally, as for the apologist comment Lawrence, you should perhaps look at the responses (like I said before) and then at your OP and question yourself as to the reason you posted it. Was it because you truly care about women's golf and want to "protect the game" or because you were looking for one more way to start a Korea bash fest?
Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer, Who is being an apologist for Korea? You are. Barry Bonds is only one player, who HAS had surly relations with the media. But his value -added to the game is tremendous. His home run record generated enormous interest in baseball, and America for that matter. And he was able to take a bow later as well, and REPRESENT himself. Imagine if I was a pro gamer in Korea (god forbid), and after winning the whole magilla, all I could do was grunt "ajosi, ramyon jeseo.." Believe you me, we will be hearing more from the current tour players about the Korean robots. Also, check carefully about Pak Se ri's LOCAL contributions. I mean donating time and money to the places where she competes...
I care less about women's golf than I do people in the world, and especially folks in my country the United States, having a further understanding/warning of Korean "culture." Ironically, the story is being told not by Koreans here, but by those who visit , live , and work in the U.S., like the golfers, Kim Byung Hyun (good example), that maniac pop singer that visited Guam for thirty minutes, that moron pitcher who killed
the endangered bird in Florida, Yoo Sueng Joon the draft dodger , need I continue....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: