Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arts District (Galleries,Openings,Performance Art) in Seoul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Arts District (Galleries,Openings,Performance Art) in Seoul? Reply with quote

Is there an active or interesting arts district in Seoul? Anything comparable to Soho or other well-know arts districts? Would just like to stroll the street and cruise the galleries.

Has anyone seen anthing like this in or around Seoul?

Thanks!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daehangno is the art scene for the younger generation. Here's some info about it here (though i warn you, a little touristy Rolling Eyes ) Still, it's a pretty cool area.

The Museum of Contemporary Art is in Gyeonggi-do and I'm thinking of checking it out this weekend... I'll let you know how I go.
Zark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks waterbabe,
that's exactly what i was looking for

hasta la vista baby

z-man

Last edited by Zark on Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Daehangno you might want to check out Insadong (if you haven't already done so). More traditional oriented arts and crafts (and also very touristy). There are a couple of galleries there.
Ody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Ssamzie space in hongdae (up the hill from the rail road tracks bordering shinchon that are flanked by calbi eateries). edit: their website is http://www.ssamziespace.co.kr/
also, i always enjoy visiting the museum near to the anguk subway stop. it's down the street from the Nanta Theater; i think it's called Korea National Museum. currently there's a group show of contemporary installation works there.
also, there are a few corporate type gallary spaces across the street from the palace (Gyeongbokgung) where the folk museum is. there's a Joseph Buoys show on that strip. over the summer was Bill Viola. i like the space set in a korean-style building where contemporary traditionalist korean artists show. from there if you walk toward insadong, you should come across smaller venues where more artist�s works are shown.

hope this helps
!
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could remember what the URL was that was the homepage for this, but I recall that there was some kind of "art shuttle" that operated last summer along a route somewhere by the Blue House and Samcheong-dong (behind Kyongbukkung), where several art galleries were located. I have no idea whether this bus still runs or not, but I'm fairly certain the galleries are still there.
Ody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i forgat about that. we took that bus several years ago. it was good. you can catch it in Insadong (at the end of the main strip toward Gangwhamoon). you can find the specifics in a gallery guide.

speaking of galleries and museums, did anyone catch the Yoko Ono show over the summer? i noticed the exhibit when i was in Namdaemoon. unfortunately, i never made it back (damn summer camp).
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it was the same exhibit, but I saw an exihibition of hers at SF Museum of Modern Art a little over a year ago. I wasn't that impressed and it seemed more of a promotion of ohno's career (ie what a great artist she's been) than anything else.
vegetable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading an article in the herald about a performance art festival. Most of the venues were to be in DaeHangNo. I think it started on
Oct. 5th.
Zark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what great ideas!

Thank you everyone for all the great info.

If you see a big hairy bear hanging in the da 'hood - you'll know it's me!
Zark! Zark! Zark!

Careful though, as winter gets closer I get a little cranky before I crash for the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: