Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you keep positive in Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a happy guy.
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree. lots of beer and lots of sex keeps a man heathy, wealthy and wise. actually, i suppose it doesn't keep him any of those things. far from it really. but it keeps him happy.
however, on nights where it looks like sex just isn't going to happen, replace the beer with either soju (if you're watching your budget... completely f--ked on US$2.00!!) or my personal favorite, jack daniels. that way, when you wake up on the subway the following afternoon with no idea where you are or how you got there, you won't be dwelling on the fact that you didn't get any last night. hell... you can't even really be sure that you didn't, can you?
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep on reading Anda's posts. They help me maintain that inner warm fuzzy glow that comes from a feeling of wellbeing. Cheers A.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the workplace.
Every few weeks or so put on a shout of food for your co-workers during a break. Don't be stingy buy a whole lot of fruit, pizza, an order of korean food, chicken etc.

Go out of your way to help someone every so often they may do the same for you one day.

Likewise Realise that if you don't do it someone else will have to. Eg. if you 'drop' any classes/work through kicking up a fuss one of your workmates will be picking up the slack.

If your boss sucks at english and wants to get better five them
the odd free english lesson (mine happen in the car when she is driving me between point a and b). Learn the abilty to small talk.

Peer pressure is far better disciplinarian than you will ever be.

Out of work.
Break up your time into small managable chunks. Ie. a year seems like a very long time. Treat yourself at least once a month to something. Time always flys when you have something to look forward to in the immediate future.

Try to cut down on the booze.

Take a magical mystrey bus tour. Ie hop on a bus and see where it goes (not recomened to do at night).

Be a tourist at least once every few weeks.

Put some culture in your life go to performances/art exhibitions etc.

Learn where your 'happy place' is when the chips are down.
CLG
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbies. Resume the ones you left behind, and find some new ones. Being thickheaded it took me a while, but by my second year in SK - and then in Taiwan for two years � I learned to make my home my paradise. Surround yourself with things you like/like to do. Make yourself comfortable. It�s your bubble. If you can�t feel comfortable there then you�re going to be in for a long, rocky road.

In Taiwan, when I felt overloaded by the local idiosyncrasies I turned on the computer and found some English net TV broadcasts, radiobroadcasts, and got into serious surfing (my bookmarks numbered into the hundreds). I made my apartment a comfortable womb and when I needed to escape geographically but simply couldn�t � the net got me out for a bit and cushioned the bad days so I could start fresh the next. I also dove into serious movie watching, music practice, and worked out at home. Temper this with hitting the pubs and hanging with friends and time will go by with less pain and more personal gain.

This approach will continue to help me considerably when I return to SK. Maybe it will offer some solace to you too. Don't be afraid to mix and match. It takes time to find your groove.

Cheers,

Joe
Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: g/f Reply with quote

Ilsanman wrote:
Get a hot g/f, and have lots of sex.

Is that what you do? Rolling Eyes

Newsflash.

So does everyone else
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozing, going out to eat and socializing, within reason, are all good ways to keep your sanity, but I agree with other posters that continuing a hobby is probably the best way to stay upbeat. Get out to the mountains. Go sightseeing. If you play an instrument, consider getting one. Volunteer somewhere.
Austin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Question... Reply with quote

Why do many of you feel that keeping positive in Korea is any different from keeping positive in any other place in the world?

Puzzling...
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Question... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Why do many of you feel that keeping positive in Korea is any different from keeping positive in any other place in the world?

Puzzling...

I dunno ... language barriers, culture differences, strange smells and sights, different cusine and a new job with new responsibilities are things that can sometimes freak people out. Freaked out people sometimes get to feeling frustrated and depressed.

Nuff said.
Annn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's not just in Korea, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: