Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hip hop in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Hip hop in Seoul Reply with quote

Are there any regular hip hop clubs/events in Seoul? I'm not talking about 50 Cent, Dre, and that crap but proper hip hop culture events: bboying, graf, MCing, turntablism and so on.

Last time I was there Master Plan Club had some interesting stuff but I think it closed.

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sat May 10, 2008 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's the stuff I'm thinking about. i used to write for a hip hop mag in Korea called BOUNCE. But they died last year.

Looking to check out some of the korean breakers like Xpressions.

if you see anything event-wise let me know. would definitely appreciate it.

record stores? Purple Records. Anything else?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackSarang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's tons of hip-hop junk in Seoul, especially in the Hongdae area. Tons of cheesy "Urban Equipment" stores and plenty of hip-hop clubs.

I don't have any names, but they exist. Its fairly popular too, lots of Koreans enjoy buying "street cred" or whatever.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do young koreans know about povery, hunger, and racism in the inner cities? That's the inspiration behind much of hip-hop music in America...

It's just funny to see the sons and daughters of wealthy Koreans wearing fubu and listening to rap music trying to look "hardcore", all of which is paid for by their affluent moms and dads...

Young koreans only know a life of privilege, wealth, and being pampered.. They have no idea of the history behind hip-hop....
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
What do young koreans know about povery, hunger, and racism in the inner cities? That's the inspiration behind much of hip-hop music in America...

It's just funny to see the sons and daughters of wealthy Koreans wearing fubu and listening to rap music trying to look "hardcore", all of which is paid for by their affluent moms and dads...

Young koreans only know a life of privilege, wealth, and being pampered.. They have no idea of the history behind hip-hop....

I don't think that is specific to Korea only. I'd say it would apply to a lot of people in the States who listen to it as much as many other countries. I do find it strange when Japanese and Korean MC's drop in American slang half way through their songs which has nothing to do with their songs - some of it racial slang which they don't understand the connotations of.

Still. just because hip hop came out of a certain social and political climate in the States thirty years ago doesn't mean people can't find strength from it as a way of expressing themselves.

When it is purely a matter of copy and paste, and they don't incorporate their own history and philosophies into what they do then that is unfortunate.

But I'd say your issue is mainly due to mass media vessels like MTV portraying a very simplistic one-dimensional view of hip hop "culture". Or rather, rap music and imagery.

And FUBU... well don't start me on them.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like hip-hop, and would attend an event like this in the UK, the risk would be far too great of having to spend more than 30 seconds watching a Korean youth 'rap' and pretend he's black. I'd rather insert a pineapple into myself, sideways.
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but Butterfly you are generalising.

I've met a few artists like Meta MC and DJ Soulscape who aren't into that. Mind you I saw a young kid rapping at Master Plan who called himself MC Taekwon Do-pe and he rapped like Bone Thugs n Harmony.

Being into hip hop culture and wanting to be from another race are completely different.

Every country has pseuod-hip hop artists. But if you dig a bit, you'll find more... which is what i was asking about originally...
Ody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly wrote:
As much as I like hip-hop, and would attend an event like this in the UK, the risk would be far too great of having to spend more than 30 seconds watching a Korean youth 'rap' and pretend he's black. I'd rather insert a pineapple into myself, sideways.

i think this was more the case 10 plus years ago when korean pop was totally (rather than mildly) nauseating. now, i have found Seoul's hip hop culture to be coming into it's own. many social changes are afoot here too.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough.
komtengi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark is that you?? Anyway theres a really good store in Hongdae to pick up hip hop cd's.... cant remember the name. The guy that works there speaks pretty good english and is well versed on hip hop, and I dont mean 50 cent. Its located on the street directly opposite the Hongdae front gate(next to the park), walk down past the park and its opposite a coffee shop.......... bad explanation I know.
Cube in Apkujungdong seem to have some regular parties going on, both live gigs and regular club gigs..... as far as I know slugger is the club to go to check out live stuff, its in the same street as that cd store, but further down.
If you can get someone to translate the korean checkout www.afroking.com
or
www.hiphopplaya.com

they both sometimes have parties or gigs listed in there, and afroking probably have the better parties out there
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Thanks Shrek.

Just found out a mate is opening a store in DONGDAEMUN. Called TRUE SCHOOL. He's a good graf artist: http://www.graffiti.pe.kr.

Opens October 24th. Check it out.
komtengi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandal right?? hes opening a store at the apm building at tongdaemun....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: