Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help getting my wife citizenship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisted Turnip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Need help getting my wife citizenship. Reply with quote

I'm married to a Korean woman and plan to go home in the next year or so. We have a child together whom I've already made Canadian.

Does anybody have advice on residency or citizenship issues and employment procedures for non-Canadian spouses? Possible web sites that I may have over looked would be nice.

Advice on bringing large amounts of cash into Canada would also be welcomed.

Any help from people who've 'been there and done that' would really help.

Cheers.

TT
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should send a pm to Bulsajo
anae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2001, you can make your family class application from Korea.
First, you must apply to be her sponsor. There is no income requirement that you must meet for bringing your spouse and dependent children. However, you do have to have some proof that you intend to go back to Canada when your wife's immigration is approved. It can be stuff like renting an apartment, having a job offer, registering for university, finishing your contract, etc.

Once you are approved, your wife may apply. However, if you do apply from Korea- she will not be allowed into Canada until her application is approved. You will need to pay about $1500 for the application and landing fee. She will need to have police reports from all countries in which she spent six months or more since her 18th birthday. You will need translated and notarized copies of her family registry and census. [b]Make sure you don't get this done until you are ready to submit the application, because they do expire rather quickly[b]
On the Korean side, your wife will need to get a PR passport.

The people at the embassy will tell you that it only takes four months for spouses to be processed. I wouldn't buy that bridge. It took almost a year from start to finish for us, though they did lose our paperwork once.

Arriving in Canada is easy. My husband used his PR passport to transfer all of our money to my bank in Canada. You can get a container or part of a container for shipping, but it is quite expensive. There is a little paper work at immigration when you arrive, but it goes rather quickly. As part of the landing fee your wife may qualify for English lessons to help her get employed. Your family will qualify for health benefits - depending on the residency requirement of the province. In Sask, we qualified immediately, while in Alberta we had to wait three months.

Employment all depends on you and your wife. It can be a little discouraging for qualified immigrants. Sending resumes with foreign schools and no Canadian or American experience usually doesn't get very far. My husband had no response from the tens of resumes he sent out in the IT industry. What helped him get started in his own business was word of mouth by my family. My cousin's husband's brother got him his first contract job and two years later he has a full time position at a great company. Other Korean women that we know had to wait more than one year before finding a job in their field. They had to find agencies that would help them to volunteer or get internships in order to get Canadian experience that would help them to bone up their resumes and to meet people to get word of mouth working for them.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you have more questions.
Annn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Anae,
Thanks for the informative post.
I am in the process of applying for husband's Canadian residency. I have an overall grasp of the whole application process but my question is whether or not my husband and I have to make a permanent move to Canada (Vancouver, in my case) once the immigration visa is issued. We don't have any immediate plans to make a permanent move back to my hometown (or if ever) but we would like to get his residency anyway. Is there a way to get by this requirement?
Any information would be helpful.
Thanks again!

Anna
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need help getting my wife citizenship. Reply with quote

Twisted Turnip wrote:
I'm married to a Korean woman and plan to go home in the next year or so. We have a child together whom I've already made Canadian.

Does anybody have advice on residency or citizenship issues and employment procedures for non-Canadian spouses? Possible web sites that I may have over looked would be nice.

Advice on bringing large amounts of cash into Canada would also be welcomed.

Any help from people who've 'been there and done that' would really help.

Cheers.

TT

Is there a Canadian embassy in Korea?
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a Canadian embassy in Korea?

Duuuuuh...

Oops, almost forgot him!

Rolling Eyes
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html

http://www.korea.gc.ca/immigration/bulletinimm.e.html
anae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna,

After your husband receives his permanent residency, he must land in Canada within a certain period of time (I can't remember exactly how long. It may even be up to a year.) Once that initial landing is done, he must live in Canada for a total of two years out of every five.

I can think of three problems with having residency and not using it. One, if you were to get caught - he will lose his status, perhaps permenantly. Two, he will be required to pay Canadian taxes. Three, he must give up his Korean registration card to get his PR passport, and that might cause him a lot of grief in everyday life.
Annn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the frank reply. Although, I wasn't planning on his Canadian residency 'illegally' or anything - just wanted to weigh out my options and see all the possibilities.

Just a little curious where all this information can be obtained though... only the general info was available...

Anna!
Annn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anae,
Just re-read your post. You outlined 3 possible problems (with having residency and not using it). I can see your first point but the other two - the second - aren't you required to pay Canadian taxes if you have your residency and USE it anyway? And the third point - giving up one's Korean registration card isn't that big of a deal - he would be qualified for a working visa anyway.

Cheers
anae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the taxes, I was thinking of the fact that why pay taxes for services you aren't even going to use? Plus, I know a lot of people who live overseas and don't pay taxes. It is pretty easy to put it out of your mind when you live out of the country. However, when and if you do return, a red flag just may come up after a number of years of not filing.

I guess if you husband has no problem living as a visa holder in Korea rather than a regular citizen. It should be fine. However, I am just thinking that having a work visa stamped in his PR (immigration) passport might be a red flag to Canadian immigration, who might then make a point of ensuring that he gets in the 730 days. Yet, then again immigration is so totally bogged down, they might never get around to it. There are Koreans who have their families live in Canada while they continue to work in Korea, so it must be possible on some level.
anae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention a couple of things in my original post:

To apply for landed immigrant status, your spouse must have a physical from a Canadian gov't approved doctor.

Once you arrive, your spouse must apply for the new Permanent Resident card and pick it up in person in order to be allowed back into the country after international travel.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know the specifics of your situation, but when I got married to a Japanese bitc--er..girl, we wed in Canada so there was a lot less paper work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: