Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gettng my fiance a visa for US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderdude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: gettng my fiance a visa for US Reply with quote

Does anyone know how long it takes after one gets married to get a visa for US? My fiance and I are planning one getting married later this month and want to go to America after that.

What kind of Korean visa will I have next and what does that do for me (differnt from a E-2)? Thanks a mil
funplanet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother did it in Russia 10 years ago...they got married and went to the USEmbassy in Moscow the next week...

The 1st day was for a med exam...
The 2nd day she had her interview in the morning and immigrant visa in hand at the close of business...

I know things have changed somewhat but it was fairly painless...they had photo albums, letters from family and friends, etc ready to show but the officer only spent 5 minutes with his wife, mostly talking about ACC basketball (my brother and I are from UNC-Chapel Hill) and that was that...

I am sure the Embassy in Seoul is just as busy so it should be quick and easy...good luck to you and your wife!

My sister-in-law's best day was July 4th, 1999 when she was sworn in as a US citizen...she was one, happy camper!

Do you want just a B2 visitor's visa or an immigrant visa?????

If you are just looking to get her a visitor's visa, may not be too hard but beware arriving in the States...they may give her a very difficult time...

A friend of mine and his wife (of about 3 years) in Japan just got back from the US and they put her through hell despite not needing a visa...she made the mistake of telling the immigration officer she was travelling with her boyfriend, a US citizen...they interrogated her for an hour and would not allow him access to her...they had a hard time believing she just wanted to visit and then go back to Japan...stupid questions like "do you plan on getting married," and "how do we know you aren't coming here, get married and try to find work," blah blah blah

just beware that may or maynot happen to your wife...US mmigration officers are some of the rudest on the planet.....I hope not...good luck
U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was able to get a travel VISA to America a few months after our marriage; however, we were told by the person conducting the interview that we should've have been trying to get a VISA for married couples.

She has since gotten the VISA and we are residing in America (still can't stop checking Dave's though). If you aren't planning on returning to America to live real soon, try for the travel VISA. Just be honest with them.

It can take six months to a year to get the resident VISA. One of the more interesting rules, though, is that after she's gotten it, she can live outside of America for 2 years as long as she notifies the U.S. government.

My wife didn't go that route, so you should contact the U.S. Embassy yourself. Also, there are businesses which will help you to prepare the necessary paperwork for both the travel and immigrant VISA (finally I remembered the correct title for the VISA).

We didn't use a service for the travel VISA but did the the immigrant one. The paperwork can be confusing.

As for the immigrant VISA, I was nervous we didn't do something right or she would get rejected during the interview. She got her immigrant VISA without doing an interview. Just make sure you get your paperwork done correctly. I got the feeling that as long as you do the paperwork right, the VISA is a given.

Good luck.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S.A. wrote:
I got the feeling that as long as you do the paperwork right, the VISA is a given.

Not true, sorry. There is no one reason why a person applying for his/her IV will have it denied, and to this fact I've seen several friends get denied.

As for time, just check www.asktheconsul.org , and they'll tell you it takes at least 6 month...or something to that time frame. I think it took my wife to get hers in 8/9 months (but our situation was complex, and the US gov't had to REALLY did through docs. to find info. on me).

Go by what the US Gov tells you, not us, and not attorneys either, as the US gov changes rules and regulations....wade through that site, and HURRY on gathering all your docs.

Oh yeah, hope you filed your taxes for the last 3 years!!!!

Shoosh,

Ryst
syclick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother married a girl from Brazil (wedding was in Brazil). After the wedding, she applied for a resident visa and was turned down. US Immigration wouldn't give it to her at first, citing they had no reason to believe that she would stay married to my brother once in the US. It wasn't until a month or two later when she was pregnant (and could provide documentation) that they gave it to her.
U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
U.S.A. wrote:
I got the feeling that as long as you do the paperwork right, the VISA is a given.

Not true, sorry. There is no one reason why a person applying for his/her IV will have it denied, and to this fact I've seen several friends get denied.

Bummer. Yeah, I tried to hedge my bet by the inclusion that "I got the feeling."

We had already been married nearly 2 years, which I believe helped.

Other paperwork--besides filing taxes--you need to be concerned with are your wife's criminal and medical record. There are plenty of things that can get you rejected.

Good luck.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know two American women who applied for visas within the past year- one for her husband and another for her fiance. The married couple's visa took just over six months to come through. The fiance visa has taken longer. Give yourself plenty of time... 6 months min.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: