Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asians killing LPGA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
When I first came here, most Koreans had never seen a cell phone. I first visited this country shortly after cell phones were invented. Spare me the BS.

You were here in the 1970s?

Back in the 1970s, most people anywhere had ever heard of a cell phone. But you pretty much lost everyone in how your travelling to a country that didn't have widespread cell phone knowledge and how it relates to publicity events involving sporting event personalities.
Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer,
Congratulations on your growing family. Really. Given that, you
have "bought into" this culture, this country. That also clouds, affects
your opinions of Korea. For example, I see someone spitting. You
see something different. To each his own. I used the cell phone to emphasize, unlike most on this board (flat out newbies, with the clean passport, and a sanitized view of this place), I have some perspective.
When I first visited here, in the spring of 1990, I may have had a positive
view, or an open mind. There was more to like then. That's all gone now..long gone. The constant denigration of the US(while gobbling up
every product and idea from US), the widespread amnesia of their poor/recent history, the brainwashing and misinformation (all Japanese are bad), the incessant victim mentality, basic rudeness elevated to an art-form, world-class xenophobia, corruption on a broad, multi -tiered
scale, and finally, an almost serial unwillingness to permit or encourage
diversity or individualism , has left me quite cynical ,obviously. But I don't need help as the newbie suggested. I am fine. I know what I am up against.

apologist:
A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution. Does this definition work for you? It's
all self-interest. Yourself excluded, if someone is in Korea working, maybe they are from a small, insignificant country with a depressed economy, they were a laborer, or street sweeper in that country.... they may be inclined, out of self-interest, to defend Korea and its people. It's a form of dishonesty really. I am not limited by that. So I speak freely, honestly, I think. Just like Jan Stephenson did, before she backed down.
Good luck again to you, your wife and child...
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
I do not suffer fools easily

I wonder what Gollu--- er, Lawrence looks like since he'd have to be ramming his face into the mirror every morning in order to keep consistant.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence,

Why do you have to be "against" anything here? Are you on some mission?
As for perspective you do not have the monopoly on that. I haven't "bought into" Korea man, I just try to keep an open mind and put the differences in perspective.
My wife does not love everything about her country just like i don't love everything about my home country.
Pretty simple no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: