Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New job - housing costs in Seoul??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noelinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: New job - housing costs in Seoul?? Reply with quote

I will probably accept a job offer after a initial interview. The institute is in Gangnam and will pay out 7 million in key money and 150 000 a month in rent costs. The salary is enough for little old me to live on. My question is how much should I realistically have to set aside for rent - I will be looking for a place accessible to the Gangnam-based institute. I am looking only for a one-room/officetel-type place. I have lived in another city, so am unsure about the Seoul cost of things. Are there places for 400 000 won or less amonth that aren't to far out in nowheresville? [This is a different institute to the one I complained about the other day...]
ratslash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, at least these people are paying your key money.

i've heard people say that in the gangnam area you can get a shoe box for around 500,000. but, if you don't mind living out of the gangnam area and doing a little bit of commuting then i'm sure you will be able to pick up a cheaper place.
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty low for accommo allowance - standard seems to be 300K a month, and deposit contribution varies.

You'll have some trouble, I think, finding much in Gangnam for that price - my wife and I looked at the end of August, and we couldn't find much that we liked with 110,000,000 key money from the school that was offering me a job (which I didn't take in the end).

You could rent my place (see the buy and sell forum), but you'd be looking at a long (80 minutes or more?) commute into Gangnam, so that's probably out.

I think you'll be able to find something officetel-y, but it's gonna be pretty small for that kinda money, I'd say. Good luck.

(I posted some real estate websites here that will help you price out officetels, if you can navigate the Korean...)
Annn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

150,000 will probably not get you very far in Gangnam. I used to live in Gangnam and had a 15-pyung (small) 2-bedroom (tiny rooms) apartment for 60 million won and no monthly rent. At first they were asking 10 million in key money and 800,000 in monthly rent But that was 3 years ago and I think a lot of the places won't go for just the key money anymore.

My advice would be check out places near Oksu, Geumho, Yaksu stations. You will be shelling out more than 150,000 won though...around 500,000won. (Also check around the Seoul National University area - very accessible to Gangnam)
saharzie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some decent places in Sillim dong and near Boramae park for around 400,000 a month, key money 5 million. See if you can get your key money down and ask your boss to give you more rent allowance.
Or else find a place with no key money..best bet for that is Itaewon/haebongchon....lot of foreigners have places there and rent out with no key money.
www.oneroom.co.kr as BTM mentioned is a good site. A friend got a decent place in yangjae there...5/10 mins by bus to gangnam.....
sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Seoul housing Reply with quote

Seoul housing is pretty expensive these days and getting more so all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: