Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My adult students are so kind....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawner88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: My adult students are so kind.... Reply with quote

My boss made an adult class. At first I was apprehensive. I thought "damn, now I have to actually prepare and teach"...what I've discovered, however, is that adults are very appreciative and kind. They take me to dinner every Friday. Tonight 2 of them took me for Sushi. We had a glorious dinner and they told me about their room salon experiences. They paid 100,000 for the meal. What a great class.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are there two of these threads? There's one in the Job forum also...
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sat May 10, 2008 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: My adult students are so kind.... Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
My boss made an adult class. At first I was apprehensive. I thought "damn, now I have to actually prepare and teach"...what I've discovered, however, is that adults are very appreciative and kind. They take me to dinner every Friday. Tonight 2 of them took me for Sushi. We had a glorious dinner and they told me about their room salon experiences. They paid 100,000 for the meal. What a great class.

Great.

Try to remember that when they start to assume that they can pretty much get whatever they want since the teacher is their buddy.

Here's term I've always found useful when dealing with adult students: Arm's length

Big, gibbons monkey, length arms...
Austin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Yes... Reply with quote

Yes, arms length for sure, but do not forget to reciprocate their kindness and generosity (too many ugly foreigners never give back). A little goes a long ways.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: My adult students are so kind.... Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:

My only word of caution is if an adult student drops the school and still tries to hang with you. That�s not bad per say (sic?), but your school might suspect you of doing private lessons when you are not. I had this problem once, but the twist was my friend had been a student of the hagwon before I ever worked there. He left before I arrived and he was a friend. Not a leech. The school tried to blackball me by accusing me of doing privates (I didn�t do �em). They painted a picture that he was using me for English. Meanwhile I was taken into his home and embraced by his entire family (including the Grandfather, father, my friend�s wife and their children) and remain friends to this day.

I rarely spend a lot of time with adult students. If I see them in public (this holds true for any country I teach in), I do make the extra effort to say hello and start up a conversation. This is a free �perk� for them and gives them face because their kids and family or friends or coworkers can see that the guy/gal is legitimate with their language studies. It also keeps them coming to classes and shows that I do give a damn about them � while maintaining my private life and autonomy away from school.

More than two cents,

Joe
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My adult students are so kind.... Reply with quote

Joe Thanks wrote:
This is a free “perk” for them and gives them face because...

Gives them face? GIVES THEM FACE?!?!?!?!?

Actually, I'm just noticing that I've never once seen the word "face" used in a positive sense rather than a negative sense unto now. I was wondering where the heck all the face that hogwon owners have been losing has been going.

Maybe I'll get it all this Monday.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My adult students are so kind.... Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
Joe Thanks wrote:
This is a free “perk” for them and gives them face because...

Gives them face? GIVES THEM FACE?!?!?!?!?

Actually, I'm just noticing that I've never once seen the word "face" used in a positive sense rather than a negative sense unto now. I was wondering where the heck all the face that hogwon owners have been losing has been going.

Maybe I'll get it all this Monday.

Respect is "face," but cultures certainly have odd terms for some moments of giving "face."

Cheers,

Joe
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving face is still illegal in some American states!
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adults are cool, yeah, particularly the women. Hanging out with a man's class is not adviseable, been there done that. They'll bore you to death with their soju and pricky conversation, and then go off you when you speak up against their BS chauvinist attitudes.
Hang with the women, they'll lokk after you, but be careful about giving too much free english.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier knows
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
are they hot guys?
hook me up...
unless they are old guys then never mind...but if they are sexy old like bill clinton or junichiro koizumi then heck yeah Cool

Bill & Junichiro are sexy-old?
There's hope for me yet!

P.S. I think you are sexy-mild, just like Meg Ryan! Laughing

Uh, that's a joke- Meg Ryan did those Sexy-mild shampoo ads for Korean tv once upon a time... really dating myself here
shawner88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to tell you the truth, the sushi dinner in itself was nice, but the conversation was very typical. One guy told his sob story of trying to marry some girl and start a family but she wasn't ready so they broke up. He couldn't understand how she could say no to him (he's 33 and lives at home). The other guy was old and bragged about how many bottles of soju he could drink and still climb a mountain every morning. He drank over 2 bottles and had to drive home. Also, the room salon stories were wonderful. 400,000 for booze, 200,000 for the full extra service. The old guy frequents them, he said.

Last edited by shawner88 on Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Uh, that's a joke- Meg Ryan did those Sexy-mild shampoo ads for Korean tv once upon a time... really dating myself here

And my students still talk about how meg ryan is a bad person because she said something on Leno about how kimchee smells or somethign like that.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
Bulsajo wrote:

And my students still talk about how meg ryan is a bad person because she said something on Leno about how kimchee smells or somethign like that.

It was Letterman, and what she said was more along the lines of "I went to a small Asian country and did silly things in front of a camera."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: