Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too many tourist visa stamps; new passport?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canucksaram

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Too many tourist visa stamps; new passport? Reply with quote

Anybody know about this: suppose you've got too many tourist visa stamps in your passport. You get a new passport. You come back to Korea. *Poof*. Do they know it's still you, or are you home free to come back into the country?
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immigration officer's comp automatically cross-references any combination of your name, birthday, passport number (or numbers previously used) & dates/places of issue/expiration to see how may times you've entered the ROK regardless of status.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked for me.

A few years back I applied for a work visa but they turned me down because I had too many of those stamps. I went back home for a while, got a new passport, came back and got my work visa.
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, do what you like but I can tell you that your immigration file will follow you all over Korea. When you come back into the country but they normally don't link you to a computer unless your passport looks somewhat odd. So up to a point a new passport can help. The Beaver just got lucky with whoever was on. He could have also got lucky by doing another trip straight away and coming back in through another airport.
camel96

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came back into Korea last week from Hong Kong the photo that came up on the guy's computer at the airport was from my Alien Residence Card that I had in 2000 not my current one. And not only that but that was back when I had an old passport. I don't think there's any real hard and fast rules as to how successful you'll be but I think the days of being able to exploit the loopholes re: all of this crap are slowly coming to an end.
Canucksaram

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: It worked. Reply with quote

Well, it worked, but I don't know why.

I flew into Incheon. The immigration officer spent a moment longer than normal looking at what came up on the screen, after which time she asked "How long will you stay in Korea?" I answered, "Until mid-November," and voila! stamped in for another six months.

I guess she was feeling lackadaisical.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had five before I went legal. I know people that have had eight. I actually know an American that has had almost 20. Is that too many? Wink
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get pulled aside into the "little room" every time as I pass thru immigrations. I changed passports, and had some other previous problems with immigrations here.

Last time, I got passed the immigrations person ok, then walked all the way down the escalator before they came running after me and told me to come back. It was pretty funny, because the immigration guy came running down the escalator and looked all around. Then he came up to me and says, "Mi-guk saram??" as if he was wondering if I had seen any others around. I told him, "I think I'm the one you're looking for" since there were nothing but Koreans all around. He said, "Oh! Follow me please!"

I probably could have just disappeared at that point, because there were many other foreigners by the baggage area. I didn't relish the thought of immigration knocking on my door a month later, though. They let me through after they grilled me about why my previous employer previous to the illegal one I got busted for had not cancelled my E-2 yet. The liar said he had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: