Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean equivalent to Benadryl?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterDragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Korean equivalent to Benadryl? Reply with quote

I'm looking for something as similar to Benadryl as possible, or actual Benadryl. I've been having insomnia pretty badly lately, and a dose of Benadryl seems to be the only thing that works and has no side effects. I tried getting some at the local pharmacy, but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Can I get this stuff here?
atomic42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print and bring with you to your local pharmacy and hope for the best:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphenhydramine
Masta_Don

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to a local doctor, even if you don't have health insurance. I've gotten ambien and klonopin even after asking for no drugs for sleep issues.

So you know, a lot of the drugs here have different names, chemically too. Plus when you try and ask for a certain drug they won't want to give it to you, cuz, well, they're the doctor/pharmacist and they should know better than you.
animalbirdfish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actifed. (not sure if it's chemically the same, but it works well for nighttime allergies and knocks me out, so don't take when you need to be awake).
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unisom is widely available, both by that name and by others. (The Doxylamine succinate version, not the Diphenhydramine one.) I've never been able to get Diphenhydramine here, that's why I know about Doxylamine.
teachergirltoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My co-worker bought some Benadryl in Itaewon for me.
uberscheisse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a korean product called toplexil. 토프렉실 i think.
MarionG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The active ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine citrate (and the second word is not always citrate, sometimes it's something else.) This might help you ask for it.

Or just tell them that you're allergic to something (shell fish is a common one) and since it's often in soup, you're afraid of getting some accidentally. Tell them you have terrible itching on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet (common fairly serious reaction of shellfish) That might do it.

Most things for allergies are good for sleep.
mysterious700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teachergirltoo wrote:
My co-worker bought some Benadryl in Itaewon for me.

DId he just walk into any store there? I'm amazed that all pharmacies kep everything behind the counter. WHat's with that?
earthbound14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basicly you just want a sedative or an antihistamine. Antihistamines cause you to feel drowsy. Most anti-allergenics have some antihistamine (Diphenhydramine is one) in them such as Benadryl, or Actifed. Actifed also has pseudoephedrine in it which is a stimulant. A pretty good little stimulant if you want a little perk before a hockey game or something (athletes use it alot). So not all decongestants will do the same thing. Sudafed for instance has no antihistamine, only the stimulant (pseudoephedrine) and is the complete opposite of Benedryl (as in ones a stimulant while the other is a sedative). Sudafed also works better on the runny nose caused by a cold, antihistamines (Benadryl)don't actually do much for a cold, but they kick butt with allergies!!! You can go to any pharmacist and tell them you have allergies and you want a night time medication. If you can read hangeul, you can check the back to make sure the product has no stimulants in it. If you don't ask for a night time formula they may try to give you a day time formula which may have some form of stimulant in it (usually caffeine or pseudoephedrine, or there might be some other stimulant). 50mg of antihistamine-diphenhydramine is the dose recomended in the UK, some countries it's 100mg!!! So far Korea seems to be pretty close to most western countries with their standards, so I would say it's pretty safe to try a Korean brand!!!

Koreans use the same medical terms as we do, so you can walk right in and tell them exactly what you want, a pharmacist will know what an antihistamine is. Just try saying it with a Korean accent, they might also be suprised that you are asking for it by name, so be patient.

Allergy (pronounced about the same)
Antihiseutamin (antihistamine)
dipenhydeuramin (diphenhydramine)
Chago-shipeoyo (I wish to sleep)

good luck, get some sleep!!

k
teachergirltoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked with my co-worker. She said that several of the stores in Itaewon carried it, so there was no problem finding it. She can't remember exactly which store she bought it at.
SPINOZA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorse 졸로민/Zollomin

Mixed with alcohol and you'll be out like a light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: