Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Up and Away Series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Up and Away Series Reply with quote

Does anyone teach this series? And what is your opinion of it? I taught the phonics books quite a bit at my first school but really don't have much experience with the studentbook/workbook/storybooks. Having used the phonics book and used some supplements out of the workbooks, I find it lends itself well to my teaching style. It really tries to keep things simplified for the students, it seems, so that they aren't overwhelmed by unfamiliar structures and vocabulary as many of the students seem to be in upper level New Parade books for example.

I'm hoping to get some input from some who have taught from the studentbook and perhaps the storybooks which I have never seen, (I read about them in the teacher's guide) or who have taught the books together.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught those books.. acually all of them , over and over again..
they are good books.!!!
very good for speaking, grammar and activities..
I use them for my other classes too,.
go for it Zed
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Itaewonguy's lies. The books move too quickly with too few examples for students to study from, and get downright silly in the end with grammar concepts they expect students to master based on a single bad example that even native students would have trouble with.

In stark contrast, Let's Go is far better. Particularlly if you get both the work book and reading book. I've taught with both books, and I found it much harder to work with Up and Away.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Gord's lies. Let's Go moves too quickly with too few examples for students to study from, and get downright silly in the end with grammar concepts they expect students to master based on a single bad example that even native students such as Gord would have trouble with.

In stark contrast, Up and Away is far better. Particularly if you get both the work book and if you use your teaching skills and enhance the lesson. I've taught with both books, and I found it much harder to work with Let's Go.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Up and Away Phonics and only had the workbook (maybe the textbook) to go with. I had NO IDEA how to work with the little kids. They all knew their letters. They all knew the sounds. I was stuck. I also had to teach that along with Let's Go 1 simultaneously. I prefer Bug's Phonics cause it seems more interesting.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETS GO SUCKS!!!
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btween Let's Go and English Time, I prefer English Time
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
LETS GO SUCKS!!!

Better than most books. You want a sucky book, try Fun Fun.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that books with some private lessons I did last year. Fun Fun DOES suck!
mack the knife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Let's Go!" series rocks up until the 5th and 6th books, which are pretty lame.
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
Don't listen to Itaewonguy's lies. The books move too quickly with too few examples for students to study from, and get downright silly in the end with grammar concepts they expect students to master based on a single bad example that even native students would have trouble with.

In stark contrast, Let's Go is far better. Particularlly if you get both the work book and reading book. I've taught with both books, and I found it much harder to work with Up and Away.

i don't think itaewonguy was 'lying' necessarily. it's not like he has anything to gain by getting us all to dig up and away. maybe 'don't listen to itaewonguy's opinion' would have been, if not entirely appropriate, at leest moreso than suggesting that he was deliberately lying to all of us for the purpose of sabotaging the learning of korean children.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAven't used up and away. But Let's go is ok.

As for the worst text books ever that would have to be new parade.

CLG
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:
HAven't used up and away. But Let's go is ok.

As for the worst text books ever that would have to be new parade.

CLG

New Parade sucks only because it was made for Mexican kids in North America. I used to think it was okay for the younger kids, but I have changed my mind. There is no phonics in it and no English.
Fun Fun is worse though because it was made by Koreans who can't speak English, for Koreans who can't speak English.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Up and Away to be excellent for very advanced students (best if they've been abroad or are very focused) which means it's best for private lessons where the students can get full attention with various examples. For a class I'm not so sure.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endofthewor1d wrote:
Gord wrote:

i don't think itaewonguy was 'lying' necessarily. it's not like he has anything to gain by getting us all to dig up and away. maybe 'don't listen to itaewonguy's opinion' would have been, if not entirely appropriate, at leest moreso than suggesting that he was deliberately lying to all of us for the purpose of sabotaging the learning of korean children.

I don't think Gord really thinks he was lying. It is just Gord's sense of humor. Laughing

Last edited by kangnamdragon on Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: