Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Business Class book needed. . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reedtea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Good Business Class book needed. . . Reply with quote

Hey, guys!

I am looking for a good Business class book to work from. I have just landed a private with Kimberly-Clark and the book that we are in is just too dry. The guys there (about Cool have already done this book once, and are really bored with it. They say that they do need help with presentations. I have NO idea Embarassed what kind or name of book I should get to help liven things up. Does anyone out there have any clue as to what I should be using?

Much thanks!
C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am teaching a Presentation Skills class. I create most of the material myself but I do have a book that I use sometimes. It's pretty good and you could definitely get by with it. It's called "Effective Presentations" by Jeremy Comfort, published by Oxford University Press. It's dark blue. Sells for about 10-15,000won.
I got mine at a book store in Gumi. You'll probably find it anywhere English text books are sold.
Brainflinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Presentation Skills/ general Business English books Reply with quote

I also teach a "Presentation Skills" component in my Business English course. The text that I use is Business Builder (Modules 7,8,9) by Paul Emmerson, published by Macmillan-Heinemann. It's a photocopiable book that the students seem to enjoy. I supplement the course with ideas garnered from various internet sites as well as the book "Succesful Presentations For Dummies" by Malcolm Kushner. This book is very useful as well as being quite amusing to read and I've learned a lot from it.

For the main component of the course I use Business Basics (New Edition) by David Grant and Robert McLarty published by Oxford Univeristy Press. I have recently changed books for one of my Business English classes to Working in English by Cambridge University Press. I will change back to Business Basics next semester as it has a better layout and is a bit easier for my students to handle.

Hope these help.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, and to reedtea for making the OP - I was thinking of posting a similar request for info on businessy materials. Any more suggestions from anyone?
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
reedtea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, guys, for helping me out!

I am going this weekend to pick up some books that you have recommended. Keep the suggestions coming!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photocopy the business section of the Korean Herald, then have them read silently and try to paraphrase what they read. Give them a dictionary. While they are busy, read the comic book which you have secretly placed inside a phony ESL textbook. Works every time.

Shawn

Last edited by shawner88 on Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Mankind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try business ventures. It also has a workbook which is nice. There is another great book to use too but I'm blanking on the name. Some of the newer books are quite good.

HAND Smile
BTM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually in Kyobo main branch today and checked out the biz english books, including the ones mentioned here. I probably wouldn't use any of them in my own class, I don't think. They tended to be workbookish type affairs, heavy on the vocab and reading, which is useful of course, but quite probably not what most companies are looking for in a general 'business english' course.

Given that they have any idea what to expect, which is not necessarily a given.

Maybe it's time to start writing another book that I won't end up finishing. Rolling Eyes
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Sweeney's book Communicating In English (I think) is great! Modular, it covers telephone skills, presentation skills, meetings skills, negotiation skills, and social English. It's really good. The tapes have a variety of accents and are very natural.

Some of the other books mentioned are good, but, if you look at Sweeney, I think you'll buy it.

Cheers!

edited once because I was in a hurry
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they still have Business Builder around? I found it quite difficult to secure my books. As well, Stand and Deliver by Neil Heyen and Andrew Vaughan (Longman) is quite good.

CM
helly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to teach a group of Yuhan-Kimberely marketing guys about 6 years ago. Office in the Haesung Building, near POSCO? Wonder if its the same guys?!? They always said they needed help with presentations, then only wanted conversation classes. Eventually, the "help with presentations" was them asking me to edit/re-write their Powerpoint slides.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina & I spent a few hours in Kyobo on Sunday. She finally went with (believe it or not) :

Slangman's Guide to Biz Speak 1

It is conversation book that focuses more on idioms and conversational style used between business peers. Cartoonish, with CDs available (and 3 boks in the series). Good topics for jumping off from. Think it will do the trick.

Regards,

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: