Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NZ Recruiters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anomi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: NZ Recruiters? Reply with quote

Hi all, i'm thinking of coming to Korea next year to teach, and have contacted a few recruiters in NZ for information .... are there any Kiwis who have had any experiences (good and bad) with NZ recruiters? Who, when, what happened ... the dirt please!!! Cheers
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a group called teach korea nz, based in Dunedin. The plus side of them is that provide you with heaps of information on teaching, living in korea, empolyment rights etc. and even some worksheets for the kids to do which is great if your looking for a time filler on a friday afternoon. They have an agreement with singapore air to bring extra luggage and get on flights at the last minute.

On the downside they are based in New Zealand so can only tell you so much. I thought I was teaching at school with other waygookins in incheon but intially I ended up teaching by myself in bucheon at another branch of the school.

So I would say they are good. Of course the only way to be safer is to come over and suss out jobs yourself. Just my 2 cents anyway.

PM for the link or any other questions.

CLG

Last edited by crazylemongirl on Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used "Teach NZ Korea" they are based in christ church. I have an awesome school, no problems there. But, they don't really work with the big schools. So you will probably be a lone foriegner at your school. If you use him, let me know!! i get some money. lol. But seriously, it wasn't bad at all. Good luck. IT is a scary time that you are in, but it gets much better. He was available at any time, for me to talk to him a bout any issues I was having, and i came over with a visa, so i didn;t have to do a visa run, which could be a plus, or a negative for you. His name is Geoff. pm me and i can give you a link. nic.
t bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah me and my boyfriend went through Teach Korea NZ. Geoff found us a job pretty quickly, and things are fine> In quite a small town, so if youre coming alone I would recommend going to one of the bigger cities. No problems with Geoff, we got picked up at the airport and taken to our town.
anomi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks. I'm in Dunedin too at the moment, finishing up my degree - Geoff was one of the dudes I emailed - it does sound ok but a lot of people on this board say "No Recruiters, come over yourself!" Just trying to work out what will be best for me.

T bear you said you and your boy went through Teach Korea NZ - is it common for couples to go, and is it easy to find accomodation together? My bfriend and I are thinking of doing this caper together as well, and I was wondering if its disadvantageous to come together - in terms of finding jobs etc, maybe employers would prefer single ppl. Don't have a clue actually!

Thanks guys
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on finding jobs together - ie on how difficult/easy it would be, but if you are coming over together, work at the same school. Or else it might be hard to have time together during the week. Also, it will be so much easier with the two of you, when it comes to dealing with korea. I came over on my own, and it has been quite hard. Good luck!

If you have the cash to come over here first, and then find a school yourself, i would do that. But if you are poor, like i was Smile then go through a recruiter.
t bear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did take a bit longer to find a job, being a couple, but it still only took about 1 month tops. Coming over with a job already has its bonuses, especially as you get the flight paid for. We have an ok apartment together, but are at different schools, owned by the same director. I teach elementary and he teaches middle school. But we're the only foreign teachers at our school, would be better to work at the same school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: