Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Bring or Buy?" Game
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: The "Bring or Buy?" Game Reply with quote

Should I bring the following, or wait until I arrive to buy 'em once in Korea:

-hydrogen peroxide
-an iron

If they're readily availble in the Morning Calm, I'd like to buy them there, especially an iron (which is a tad heavy).

Last edited by IconsFanatic on Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
saw6436

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Don't Worry about that Reply with quote

Both Irons and Hydrogen Peroxide are WIDELY avaliable. True, Korea is on the cusp between a 3rd World Country and a Developed one, but almost all daily conveniences are avaliable at a low price. My advice is to travel light but carry enough "personal hygene" products to last for your stay. Been here 5 years and do not have problems getting what I need. And I do not live in a major city. E-mail me direct if you have specific questions. [email protected] Pardon my spelling.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually consider hydrogen peroxide to be a personal hygene product... but I guess one not often used.

You say bring enough personal hygene products to last your entire stay... are you excluding peroxide?

I realize I should bring soap/razors/deodarant/etc., but would you recommend getting peroxide in Korea?
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Hydrogen Peroxide but it will likely be in small bottle about 100ml. Not like getting it back home at London Drugs.

Do not really worry about soap and shampoo. You can get it korea. Some maybe quite harsh. So if you like a certain shampoo or conditioner bring some. Razors do not worry. Many stores sell Gillette razors like Mach 3. But Deoderant BRING. You may find some in Korea but expensive and never the brand you like. Other toiletries any medicines or cremes that you like. Stuff for Athletes foot is one to consider. If you plan to colour your hair bring your own.

Skippy the Evil Twin Twisted Evil
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean hair-coloring is designed for thick black Korean hair. I fear that if you're fair-haired like me, you will go bald from using it.
Dazed and Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="william beckerson"]Korean hair-coloring is designed for thick black Korean hair. I fear that if you're fair-haired like me, you will go bald from using it.[/quote]

Sorry Will. B. but I think you mean coarse hair, not "thick hair". Thick refers to the number of actual hairs on one's head not the thickness of each hair. And just to let you know.....Korea does carry a small range of hair coloring products suitable for fair hair. Although finding a comptetent stylist to get the combination of color and peroxide right might be a bit tougher. Very Happy
princess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Finally Reply with quote

Dazed and Confused wrote:
william beckerson wrote:
Korean hair-coloring is designed for thick black Korean hair. I fear that if you're fair-haired like me, you will go bald from using it.

Sorry Will. B. but I think you mean coarse hair, not "thick hair". Thick refers to the number of actual hairs on one's head not the thickness of each hair. And just to let you know.....Korea does carry a small range of hair coloring products suitable for fair hair. Although finding a comptetent stylist to get the combination of color and peroxide right might be a bit tougher. Very Happy
someone agrees with me. I have sandy blonde hair and yes,it is thick. I have a gazillion starnds coming out of my head. I have big hair. I have some individual strands tht are thin and some that are as thick as a Korean's. Most people don't understand that you don't measure thickness by an individual strand. It's how many you have got that counts. It takes my hair almost 4 hours to dry on its own. I hate it when Koreans say all westerners have thin hair. We don't. Westerners all say I have thick hair. Some of my students even say I have thick hair. They are smarter than Korean adults. One crazy American woman I worked with said she has always wanted long,thick black hair. She thinks all black hair is thick. HAHAHA! What a dork!
kim jong il

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's so refreshing to be finally getting to the root (pardon the pun) of this common misconception. i have coarse hair folicles, but not many strands. people are always saying "jong il, you have thick hair". i try to correct them by informing them that i have coarse hair, but not thick hair, but to no avail. thanks guys, i feel so vindicated!
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Bald as Captain Picard Reply with quote

Princess, please give me some hair!!!!!!!!!!
batman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: What to bring Reply with quote

I would bring deodorant because it is hideously expensive in this country (when you can find it).
Other personal products (like body lotion) also tend to be more expensive than back home but are easy to get at the local store.
I would skip on the iron because it is heavy and you can get a decent one her for about 25,000 won.
It used to be recommended that you bring a bath towel but even that is changing.
The shopping scene in Korea is changing at an evolutionary pace.
Things that I could not find last year or the year before are starting to pop up.
Still waiting on the root beer though.
Something I would recommend to bring (if you like cooking) is a selection of spices and seasonings.
Beyond that, reserve your luggage space for your clothing and a few personal effects that you can use to remind you of home (photographs, etc).
Also, perhaps the most important things to bring are an open-mind, a strong back and a good sense of humour.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking on hair and hair coloring. COULD MORE KOREAN WOMEN HAVE THE EXACT SAME HAIR STYLE?!?!??!

YOU KNOW THE ONE, REDDISH DYED AND JUST BELOW THE SHOULDERS LENGTH

i swear, i can't count the number of times i thought i recognized someone i knew from the back, only to discover a hideous troll from the front.... that was cruel Shocked
Hotuk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly cruel - and happens way too often - is seeing that hair-do, thinking "hey she's cute... nice body, too" then finding out she is really a he. Shocked
sprite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paid 10 000 won for my iron. which i've used 4 times, as i generally dry clean stuff (cheap) and then hang it very carefully, or spend my cash on that what does not wrinkle.

(i'm selling my iron for 5000... takers??? also a very nice wardrobe...)

i brought a laptop from canada, meaning i can download all the music i want, and didn't have to bring a load of cd's this time. at home high-speed access, 25 000 won a month.
'
the body shop is here, although they do stock some different products. "venus" razors and dental floss are available in 24 hour convenience stores.
good luck!
desultude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked elsewhere about tailor made clothes. I understand that it may be impossible to find clothes to fit me there- I'm not fat, just tall and not skinny. Does anyone have experience with having relatively everyday clothes made to order in Daegu? I leave in a couple of weeks, and am having a hard time finding and affording an entire year's worth of teaching clothes that will fit in the allowable luggage.
sprite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude, last time i was home i hit the second-hand shops. i pretty much wear an undershirt, light turtleneck, sweater, and nice slacks or skirt everyday in the winter.

point one: likely, nothing you bring will match korean fashions, so why bother trying?

two: undershirts and lightweight longjohns will keep you warm; some classrooms are not always heated properly. these items will also reduce the laundry frequency; korean washing machines don't have agitators, and they can be hard on clothes. (get a laundry bag here for your undies and delicates.)

as long as you have about 4 outfits, you should be fine until you can find a tailor you trust. you might want to bring patterns you like, but some tailors can also work from sight.

good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: