Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important Customs Information about South Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Important Customs Information about South Korea Reply with quote

I can't find the post, but someone was recently charged for a used suit that their mother sent them in the mail. This information might prove useful if you plan to import stuff later:

Import Customs information KOREAUsed household goods may be imported duty and tax free provided the shipper is Korean citizen or has a long term visa on his/her passport and provided the items are considered to be necessary and in an appropriate amount. New items are subject to duties. Holders of short-term visas will be charged duties on "most used" items such as appliances, golf and ski equipment, and high value items, but clothing and daily necessities may be imported duty free. Household goods cannot be cleared prior to the owner's arrival in Korea. Household goods should arrive at the Korean port six (6) months of the shipper's arrival.

For Foreigners with a Working Permit A person accompanied by his/her family intending to reside in Korea for a period of at least one year is not subject to duties/taxes on used goods. For a person not accompanied by his/her family, the required minimum length of stay is two years. Original passport(s) for the entire family Alien Residence Card(copy) Employee Certification For returning Korean A person accompanied by his/her family who has stayed abroad for a period of at least one year is not required to pay duties/taxes on used goods. For a person not accompanied by his/her family, the required minimum length of having stayed abroad is two years. The shipper who has Korean Citizenship is required to be present during the customs inspection. Original passport(s) for the entire family Prohibited Goods Firearms, ammunition, drugs, medicines without prescription, narcotics, meat, fish etc. are prohibited. Rifles can only be imported with a special permission granted by relevant Korean authorities. However, the procedure of customs clearance is rather complex and troublesome. We recommend to exclude those from a shipment of household goods in order to avoid foreseeable inconveniences. liquors and wine Liquors and wine are basically subject to customs duties and taxes. In regard to liquors and wine, please contact us in advance for more information Quarantine for dogs, cats, birds etc. Importation of dogs, cats, birds etc. requires quarantine procedures. The procedure is completed with the insurance of an Animal health Certificate showing that the animal had been kept in quarantine for the required period in
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 2
Korea. The period is usually ten days, however, an animal imported from a rabies-free area is kept for only one day in quarantine. Documents required for quarantine are the air way bill or a baggage ticket, and an animal health certificate issued by the government of the exporting country, certifying that rabies vaccination was performed less than thirty days prior to arrival of the animal of the animal in Korea. Importation of automobiles Automobiles, motorcycles, boats and aircraft are dutiable. All automobiles are subject to rather high duties and taxes(unless shipper has diplomatic/military status). The automobile must have been used by the shipper more than six(6) months before shipment to Korea. To prove ownership and age of the vehicle, the following documents are required; Registration Title Insurance policy Purchase receipt If the automobile is Korean-made and has been used for more than six(6) months after the local registration, it will not be subject to import duties. But if the Korean brand automobile was manufactured outside Korea, it will subject to duties and taxes. Each item exceeding USD 1,500 in value does not qualify for duty free importation, even if it is used. The following are examples for duties on some items: Cars 30-40 % of invoice value Electronic appliances 30-40 % Cameras & Video cameras 20-60 % Food (if in excess) 20 % Pianos 35 % Carpets 20 % Crystal ware 20 % High value furniture 35% Golf sets 70 % Ski sets 50 % These rates are not including any special tax on luxury items, deferens tax etc Please contact local agent to updated information. 1-2003
iwacima

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information....DHL courier still has my suit as I refuse to pay the 96,000won duty that they paid to get my suit into the country. I've talked to Korean customs and the officers I've spoken to have all said that "used clothing" is duty exempt. I have no idea why DHL paid the duty without my approval and now expect me to reimburse them. I had another agument with a DHL guy today and am meeting him on Saturday to discuss the situation further. Next time I'll use FedEx.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: