Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reputability of schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: reputability of schools Reply with quote

Hi,

I may soon be on my way to teach in S. Korea, but I am wondering if there is a way to find out whether the schools I am looking at have a good reputation or if they're going to deal dishonestly. Does anyone have any personal experience with MSL in Pusan or Quok(?) Language School in Chinju, or know of a way to find things out about them?

Thanks,

Katie
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sending Lost Seoul a PM. He has a great archive of reports on hakwons and recruiters.

Here is a link to fairly well known blacklist site.
http://koreablacklist.tripod.com/

The best way to get information about your potential school is to speak directly to the former and current foreign teachers. If your recruiter or school won�t provide any, RUN a mile as they are probably hiding something. If the foreign teacher gives you a glowing report, RUN a mile. What you want is a balanced report.

There�s a lot of good advice and information posted on this board about your situation. Dig up some older threads for some gold � use the search engine.

If you are looking for a job in the Pusan area, try this site if you haven�t already:
http://www.pusanweb.com

Cheers, WB
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reputations... Reply with quote

Waterbaby's got it! Those links are good. You can go to Lost Seoul's page www.hagwonreport.com, or www.hagwon.com. Both have extensive reports on recruiters and institutes.

Also, the comment about contacting present/former teachers is a must! Especially former teachers. If they won't/can't provide former teacher's e-mail, contact numbers, it isn't without reason. Highly suspect.

Good luck Kat...
aecuperus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Contacting a school's former teachers Reply with quote

I had an interview with Global Language School in Jinju last night. The director seemed personable on the phone. He asked me to send him an email from my personal address so he could forward it on to two American teachers and they could respond to some questions I have. Is that pretty standard?
Missihippi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's giving you references, i would use them to your advantage.
Adahma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big help.... I'm currently doing a search for schools to work at. Thanks!
jjgirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. This is exactly what I've been looking for... I just got an offer for OMP Language school in Anyang. Recruitement agency was teachers star... Im trying to find out what I can about this school but the links seem to be broken... help?
ocjac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: new links? Reply with quote

This links are old. Anyone have a new hagwon rating site or blacklist?
Riker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: modern list? Reply with quote

Yes I agree, does anyone have a modern list?
liz88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like every time someone posts a blacklist, it vanishes immediately....is this intentional?? lol
Redcap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacklist or not, it's always a good idea to personally contact current/departing teachers at any prospective school.

All school owners will inevitably put a positive spin (whether it be true or not) on their operation. A phone call or email to current teachers will help confirm what the school owner is telling you, or present you with a completely different assessment.

This is your opportunity to collect important information related to the working conditions eg. class size, curriculum, management/employee relations, pay, etc.

If a school owner refuses your request to contact teachers, then move on to the next school.
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great blacklist/review site for schools/hagwons and recruiters:
http://esllist.com/

Their lists are gradually expanding, so hopefully it has what you're looking for. Also, encourage your friends to post reviews when they finish their contracts, this will help make the list bigger.
mkpopcorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so hard to find a "good hagwon"...or a good recruiter for that matter! My first hagwon turned out to be messed up, then the recruiter turned out to be bad and this new recruiter and school is sketch..ughh annoying!
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need an really stellar recruiter, try SayKimchi Recruiting. This is pretty much just a one women show, but she lives in Gwangju and only places in schools she has subbed at and know are legit. I've been super happy with my gig (Hogwon), and Lindsay has stayed in touch and organized events for those she helps get to Korea, etc.

Check out her site here: http://www.saykimchirecruiting.com/

You can find a monthly newsletter on the site that is pretty good for those already in Korea, too.

Best of Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: